Sponsored by:

Booster seat suggestions, yes, I searched

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Booster seat suggestions, yes, I searched

I currently have the Britax Roundabout seats for my twins, but for some odd reason, they do not fit well back there. Many others seem to rave about the fit, but I can't figure out how to install them on my coupe with the rear cushions in place. The seats tilt from side to side with minimal lateral force.

I am looking for suggestions for booster seats. Not the ones with the back rest or anything like that. What I am looking for is one of those "bottom only cushion type thingies" (how is that for an accurate technical description?!). Anyone using these and have no fitment issues? My twin boys are 4 years old and nearly 32 lbs.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2006, 01:09 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using the Britax StarRiser boosters. The fit perfectly in the back of my cab.

My 2 kids use only the "butt" portion. The boosters came with the full seat but the back part can be removed and you only need to use the bottom part.

My kids weigh 30lbs and 43lbs and the seats are perfect.

I bought them online somewhere for ~$100 each.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Thanks Jason. I was hoping to find the "butt" portion only that would fit our cars for much less than the $100 that the Britax are. I know safety things is NOT the place to save money, but after spending $200+ ea. for the Roundabouts, I was hoping for something relatively simple and cheap that all it would do would raise the kids to a proper height so the rear seatbelts can do their jobs properly. Not many options down here in Panama, so I cannot go to a store and trial fit many alternatives as I could do so in USA.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$60 a pop... free shipping... can't beat it. I have two.

http://www.babycatalog.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNZ.cgi
Old 08-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

I second the star riser. It fits great, and I got 4 of them (for the other cars as well). I have a 6, 4 and almost 2 yo kids.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Dutchie, the link is not working for me. Can you please let me know what is being referenced?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Try this link:

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/boos...eat/17105.html
Old 08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Got it. Seems like StarRiser is the only one that fits back there? Anyone else know of a backless seat that fits in the back of our cars without issues? In any case, thanks to all for the suggestion. Just wanted to see if there is something else that is proven that I may buy locally (Britax is not sold here, I would have to special order it).
Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Question for the StarRiser owners: does this booster seat tilt from side to side when you take turns in a "spirited" manner? I was looking at some reviews and a couple of people mentioned this. My Britax Roundabouts do this and that is why I want to change them.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Haven't really noticed, but I have to say that I tend to avoid the triple digitt speeds and turns when I have my 2 and 4 year old in the car!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Gotcha Dutchie, I did not mean to come out as irresponsible, but as an example, a 90º turn taken at 30mph is FAR from reaching the limits on the car, yet it makes the Britax Roundabouts tilt. As soon as I saw this, I basically slowed down to a snail's pace. With my twin 4 year old boys in the car, I never go past 70 mph. Would the StarRisers do the same in a similar situation? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
axel6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Gotcha Dutchie, I did not mean to come out as irresponsible, but as an example, a 90º turn taken at 30mph is FAR from reaching the limits on the car, yet it makes the Britax Roundabouts tilt. As soon as I saw this, I basically slowed down to a snail's pace. With my twin 4 year old boys in the car, I never go past 70 mph. Would the StarRisers do the same in a similar situation? Thanks!
Gus:

I am using the roundabout for my one year old and it works great. Question...are you using the tether hook? If not, that's why the seat may be unstable. You need to uncover the metal hoop from behind the seats and attach the tether.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Axel. Could you post a picture of your setup?! I did not use the tether on my Roundabout as I have not seen the hooks for it in my Coupe. Will go there now to check it out. I am still considering the StarRiser since the Roundabout seems to be bigger, hence giving me less legroom which I dearly miss when the kids are in the Roundabouts back there.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 PM
axel6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Axel. Could you post a picture of your setup?! I did not use the tether on my Roundabout as I have not seen the hooks for it in my Coupe. Will go there now to check it out. I am still considering the StarRiser since the Roundabout seems to be bigger, hence giving me less legroom which I dearly miss when the kids are in the Roundabouts back there.
Unfortunately, the wife took the seat AND camera with her to a trip to Argentina to see family! I'm a bachelor for a couple of weeks...

I will snap a pic when I put the seat back in. Look for a cut-out on the carpeted shelf behind the rear seats. You need to snip the seams with a scissor and lift out the carpeted tab. Underneath you will find a metal loop. Your roundabout comes with a tether hook (it's black) and plenty of belt stored in the pouch sewn on the seat cover. Use your seatbelt AND the tether. I wish I could take a pic to show you...

Also, my rear seat bottoms can be taken off. They're held on there with velcro. It will give you a more stable surface to place the baby seat on.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 PM
axel6
Advanced

OK. Found this pic in the 997 forum. Our 996's have the exact same set-up. The metal loop is found underneath the carpet/pad seen on the picture.

GOOD LUCK!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Booster seat suggestions, yes, I searched