Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on my next move. Xenons.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:29 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need opinions on my next move. Xenons.

Called Suncoast Porsche to get an estimate on the HID retrofit. There isn't one. He said I'd be looking at close to 5k to replace the entire thing. This includes the lights, control units, wiring and all other sorts of stuff.

I need to tell Jeremy at Bent Tree something. But $5000. I don't think I can expect that. I want to be realistic. Now, If I DO have to sue them, I will sue for the Max in small claims, $5k.

Maybe I should just ask for half of the cost, and I'll just pocket it, or decide to spend the money and do it...or sometihng?

Suggestions please!!

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM
axel6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why start negotiating down low? Start higher...let them try to bring you down. Ask for the whole $5k. Remember, you are in the right. You should not start out by showing a weak hand. JMHO.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I would just move on, and start enjoying the car. Litigation, especially in small claims court, will be more trouble than it is worth...and in my opinion, detract from the overall joy having your car.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Xenon is not the *only* thing missed on your car, right?
added up you are looking at a bigger number than 5K

sorry i mistook the xenon as the direct swap in 99-01 996s.

u don't have many options. either live with the car, or send it back to them. i don't think they will give you even the half. after all, they don't make that much on your car.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Its just not fair that they listed the options and I bought the car accordingly. I think small claims court would be worth it if I score 5 THOUSAND dollars.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

can't they just take it back?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I would just move on, and start enjoying the car. Litigation, especially in small claims court, will be more trouble than it is worth...and in my opinion, detract from the overall joy having your car.

Kick yourself, headbutt the wall, chalk it up to experience and move on.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Jicko
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rome
"Litigation, especially in small claims court" <- have you done one!? It is NOT THAT BAD....
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not worth $5K

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Its just not fair that they listed the options and I bought the car accordingly. I think small claims court would be worth it if I score 5 THOUSAND dollars.
Not legal advice, but I believe that if the seller mispresented the car as having the lights, your claim is not the amount which it would cost to install the lights. It is the reduced market value compared to a car with the lights. From looking at Edmunds, it appears that the lights add $450 used car retail.

I notice in Edmunds that there was not a option for Xenons for the 2002 4S, so it might be part of a package. You might be missing other stuff, perhaps worth more (but probably still not a lot).

Last edited by DCP; 08-23-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DCP
Not legal advice, but I believe that if the seller mispresented the car as having the lights, your claim is not the amount which it would cost to install the lights. It is the reduced market value compared to a car with the lights. From looking at Edmunds, it appears that the lights add $450 used car retail.
Correct...

Plus I seem to recall that the dealership is out of state, so it is unlikely that a local court would even have jusrisdiction over the seller (unless they are registered to do business in arrOgant's state, or there is some other basis not otherwise apparent to me).

What's more, a small claims court judge is not going to be very sympathetic to a plaintiff buying a used car (particular a Porsche) which was purchased AS IS WHERE IS where the buyer obviously made a due diligence error, despite how the car was advertised. (The likelihood of the court even appreciating the difference between xenons and regular lights is slim in my opinion).

I'd put this in the rear view if I were you and enjoy what's left of the summer rather than fretting over it.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jicko
"Litigation, especially in small claims court" <- have you done one!? It is NOT THAT BAD....
Let's just say I have some experience in the field...

If you like spending hours of your time to (potentially) recover a pitance, I suppose it's Ok...but I think there are more productive ways to spend one's time. How many significant executives or people with responsibility spend their days messing around in small claims court? The litigants you see there (think "People's Court") tells you all you need to know.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm glad to see others chiming in with the advice to let this go.

Really, if you're like me, then you put a high value on your time. The time/reward balance on this is not worth it.

There is a learning here that you have to pay attention when buying a car (or anything for that matter!). Take it and move on.

When you're going to look at a car, plan on being there as long as it takes - spend AT LEAST 90 minutes per car, inspect every inch, photograph everything, including the underside. Be systematic... panel by panel, don't be random... inspect paintwork, inspect electrical systems, inspect mechanical systems, do it all in order. Inspect it like every single minute scratch is important to you. If you don't pay attention to details, then they will (and did) come back and bite you in the ***.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by DCP

I notice in Edmunds that there was not a option for Xenons for the 2002 4S, so it might be part of a package. You might be missing other stuff, perhaps worth more (but probably still not a lot).
How did you find $450 at Edmunds?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Ok, im just gonna ask for $450 and be done. It was their mistake and they shoudl at least pay that.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come on....5K for lights and wiring??? I converted my 99 into a 02 with litronix etc.....the wiring harness new cost for the left side 450 and for the right side a little less of more....total about 850....new at dealer....

the litronix go on ebay for 250 per light to 1000 for the set...so total wiringharness and all would be under 2K!

You probably already got the the right wiring in your P and jsut have to pop out the old light and pop in the new lights...this takes seriously 5 seconds...there is one movement you have to make per light and the whole light comes out!!

So tell them to give you a grand and buy the litronix......and put them in yourself!!

I did it and if I can you can!!!

And start driving that F-ing car.......and they should give you a 1K for you to buy the lights!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need opinions on my next move. Xenons.