DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Edmunds

Originally Posted by arr0gant
How did you find $450 at Edmunds?
I used the Used Car Appraiser for a 2002 coupe:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/por...1/options.html

I selected the Xenons as the only option. As I mentioned, it did not show up as an option for the C4S, so it might be part of a package that is worth more.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:39 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you should just move on and enjoy the car. If you could can $450 great, if not, move pn.

I don't think you have a case. Bent Tree can just say that it was a misprint in the ad. You admit they didn't try to mislead you, they believed it had Xenons.

I don't think you have a case because you picked up the car in person. I'm no attorney but the law is "Buyer Beware" maybe you would have a case if you bought the car over the phone and did not see it until it was delivered to your home. But if you saw the car in person when you bought it, it would be up to you to notice the mistake before handing over a check.

You have a great car, enjoy it, after what you went through with the first C4S, I wouldn't worry about the Xenons.

Have fun and start driving.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
come on....5K for lights and wiring??? I converted my 99 into a 02 with litronix etc.....the wiring harness new cost for the left side 450 and for the right side a little less of more....total about 850....new at dealer....

the litronix go on ebay for 250 per light to 1000 for the set...so total wiringharness and all would be under 2K!

You probably already got the the right wiring in your P and jsut have to pop out the old light and pop in the new lights...this takes seriously 5 seconds...there is one movement you have to make per light and the whole light comes out!!

So tell them to give you a grand and buy the litronix......and put them in yourself!!

I did it and if I can you can!!!

And start driving that F-ing car.......and they should give you a 1K for you to buy the lights!!!
Nope, 2002 to 2004 have no retrofit. Brand new, at the porsche dealer, the lights are $2k a piece. On ebay, I found a pair in a junkyard, prolly damaged for over $800 a piece.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

What does "prolly" mean?

Enjoy the car. Be happy that Carfax does not show a naval decommissioning date....

Andreas
Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
What does "prolly" mean?

Prolly = short for Probably.

"probably damaged" or badly scuffed.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:50 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Once again, i treasure the great advice I get here....and once again, I will follow it. I am going to start at $600+ and see what they do. If I get nothing, I will still be satisfied. THanks guys!!

Gant
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Prolly = short for Probably.

"probably damaged" or badly scuffed.
At my advanced age of 37, I am way out of touch with today's street lingo.

Good luck with the lights.

Andreas
Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
At my advanced age of 37, I am way out of touch with today's street lingo.

Good luck with the lights.

Andreas

Prolly is old... I was using it at least 15 years ago.

Gant, glad to hear that you're taking the right attitude on this. If you get something, that's great, if not, just enjoy the ride of the new car.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no retrofit directly from porsche but that does not mean you cannot put xenons on your non-litronic car. Sunset is out of their mind to estimate $5k. It doesn't come close to that. Just buy the lights (under 1000 for a set MAX, I have a set sitting in my living room actually) and the wiring harnesses and then you will be done... Its really not as complicated as it may seem
Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by evo_333
There is no retrofit directly from porsche but that does not mean you cannot put xenons on your non-litronic car. Sunset is out of their mind to estimate $5k. It doesn't come close to that. Just buy the lights (under 1000 for a set MAX, I have a set sitting in my living room actually) and the wiring harnesses and then you will be done... Its really not as complicated as it may seem
Ok great. Who do I call? Anyone??
Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have Litronics in my 996, but I put a set of retrofitted HID bulbs into my Lexus GX470 and bought a kit from here

http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=3

Install is very easy, and since the headlights in the GX470 were already projector types, the beam from the HID retrofit looks as good as the ones in my 996. You basically get a kit where they've made (I believe H7 for non-litronic 996?) HID bulbs that fit into the existing OEM headlight housing. Then there is an ignitor/ballast for each of the bulbs, a relay switch to connect to the OEM lights for juice, then the main harness will connect to the battery (where the ballast and ignitor gets the electricity). Like I said, its an easy install, and work pretty darn good. Only thing its missing is the auto-leveling, so technically its illegal, but I've never had a problem in the GX470 passing inspection.

Let me know if you have any questions......Will
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by wlee69
I have Litronics in my 996, but I put a set of retrofitted HID bulbs into my Lexus GX470 and bought a kit from here

http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=3

Install is very easy, and since the headlights in the GX470 were already projector types, the beam from the HID retrofit looks as good as the ones in my 996. You basically get a kit where they've made (I believe H7 for non-litronic 996?) HID bulbs that fit into the existing OEM headlight housing. Then there is an ignitor/ballast for each of the bulbs, a relay switch to connect to the OEM lights for juice, then the main harness will connect to the battery (where the ballast and ignitor gets the electricity). Like I said, its an easy install, and work pretty darn good. Only thing its missing is the auto-leveling, so technically its illegal, but I've never had a problem in the GX470 passing inspection.

Let me know if you have any questions......Will

Ok, this seems too good too be true. Is it really this easy? Is there ANYBODY that anyone knows of anyone that has tried these in any 2002+ NON HID's?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they honestly just slide in the non litronix slots.....no need for a retro fit.....I put them in my 99 after convertion....simple.....you might have to wait a little for the right ebay offer! Don't pay 2-5K...noboddy can tell the difference...maybe only when you turn them on......spend the money on other mods...but than again you got a C4S and that one must be pretty complete!!

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:30 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

The reason why XenonDepot was attractive to me was that they used genuine Phillips bulbs and ballast - some of the stuff on Ebay is of not great quality....you get what you pay for when it comes to these bulbs/ballasts!! And it really is that easy - can't talk specifically for the 996's, but on the Lexus forums everyone complains about a $50K car not having HID headlights, and there are a ton of folks who have done this upgrade with no issues/complaints...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy?

Ok, this seems too good too be true. Is it really this easy? Is there ANYBODY that anyone knows of anyone that has tried these in any 2002+ NON HID's?
It is sort of that easy. The reason OEM stuff is expensive is that the lights move vertically so that, for example, you go over a bump, they move down so you don't shine bright light into an opposing driver's eyes. These easy retrofits are relatively inexpensive because they do not have this feature.

Xenons are much brighter. I can see why they require the vertical ajustment.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on my next move. Xenons.