Coolant Leak Today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Today!

Well, I joined the "Coolant Leak" gang today,
after reading about such topics around the forums.
I've noticed a little low coolant level past 2 weeks,
topped it up, and it has remained pretty steady, maybe very slight loss.
Temp has been normal, no leaks at all in garage.

Then today, while I was driving, suddenly the "Check Coolant" light came on
and the red light flashed on the temp gauge (even though the temp was at midway).
So I drove slowly for another 3 miles, reached my work place.
Looked at the coolant level and it was way low below min.
2 hours later, I went back and looked under the car, there was a puddle of coolant. My driver's side rear wheel was splashed with coolant on the inside,
There was drips of coolant all over the underside of the car on the splash guards (plastic covers). I couldn't really see much with the car that low, but there were drips everywhere on the rear half of the underside.

I'm thinking if I should drive it home 9 miles when it's completely cooled down
and hose all the coolant off the underside...
then tow it to the shop another time with an appointment.

Or should I just tow it straight to the shop?

Should I be worried with the coolant doing damage to any bodyparts down there? Insulation coating, rustproofing...etc??

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cosmos,

I'm no expert but I think as long as you fill it back up to level with water you should be fine driving it to the shop. No high speed runs though.
Good luck,
k
Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check if it is the cap...happened to me a couple of days ago..I am bringin it in tomorrow (bought a new cap today 35 bucks!!) but I want to make sure everything is okay...so they are checking it out tomorrow and will also flush the system since I mixed coolants!!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Cosmos - if it is the coolant tank and if your car is ot still under warranty, you can replace this yourself. A lot of guys here have done so and have posted a few DIY "tips" here. IIRC, it takes about 2 hours.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:33 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

just drive it to the shop... there are 9-10 gallons of coolant in the system, and the coolant tank only holds 1 gallon...
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 AM
2fas4u
Instructor

Exclamation fix

does your car have a year? if you have miles or a few years old prolly your expasion tank is all. They are prone to leakage, just replaced mine last week, mine is a 99 C2 with 65k.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Depends on how far is dealer and how much coolant you have left. If more than a couple gallons are gone, i'd fill it up with water and drive it to the dealer if it's a 10-15 drive. Anything longer, I'd have it flat bedded to dealer. No need to risk an engine damage for an leak.

Do not open the cap when engine is hot.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys! Here's the update:

First, it's not the cap, nor is it the coolant tank. I checked and the cap has #...01 and the tank #...02
Besides, the engine bay was spotless clean. I suspected it to be either a hose or the water pump.

Well, the independent shop is about 35 miles away. I didn't think I should take the risk.
Had it towed today to the shop, they had the car on a dolly, coz' their flatbeds were being used.
Doesn't make a difference to me, all 4 wheels are off the ground. I haven't got the bill yet,
but he told me it's $3 a mile, and my insurance has free roadside assistance which pays first $75.

Called my mechanic today, he said it was just a bad hose. Pheewww!
But still...he did a pressure test, checked the whole cooling system, flushed and replaced coolant, and replaced the hose. He said there was barely any coolant left!
I suspect it was coz' the car was lifted front higher than the rear on the dolly...I saw coolant dripping as soon as the tow guy finished setting up the car in that angle.

He didn't say how much, but mentioned he spent 3 hours. This is a reputable independent Porsche master technician in my area, which I have just appointed as my mechanic, with strong recommendation from my 2 BMW mechanics. I'm kinda giving him a "test run", like a probation.

Do you guys think 3 hours is fair for this job? I think he charges around $80-$85 (not very sure) per hr. He did tell me he's not known for "cheap" coz' he's only a little cheaper than the dealer, but rather his reputation is "quality".

I'm also having him do a major maintenance *** inspection service on the car since I've just got it for a month. So it will be similar to a 75k service, with engine compression test and all...for about just over $800. Again, I have no idea at all about the $$$. He says the dealer would probably charge about $1300 for the same job, but he also claims he will definitely do a better quality job than the dealer! This is his own business. I was also very frank with him, told him I am a new Porsche owner, looking for a good and honest longtime personal mechanic, and IF at anytime I find out he's dishonest, I'm gone...and would spread the word fast. He laughed and assured me he is the man.

So you veterans with all the experience, for starters, please tell me if the 3hrs labor for the cooling system job, and the $800+ for the service are reasonable.

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I just got mine back from the shop.....2 hours fo labor....system pressure tested and flushed and the cap was the (as Bush would say) "evil doer"!!

Luckily not the tank (YET!!)

the tank cap the Porsche dealer sold my for $35 was the wrong one...the right one was only 17 bucks!!
Dealers are f''ing idiots...but I am very happy with my independent!! He could have told me that the tank was cracked...because I told him if he needed to replace it to just do it!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Nicolaas: Glad to hear your car is fixed!

Cosmos: A similar thing happened to my car, but I was lucky to get it fixed much sooner since I was about 3 miles from the nearest dealership. This was done under warranty so not sure about cost and time involved. One thing I learned from the experience is to be very vigilant about the hoses around the water pump, especially after they were fixed, and to check religiously thereafter. When it first happened the dealer just tightened the clamps, but car continued to leak. Then dealer replaced clamps but continued to leak. On the 3rd visit I asked for new hoses and clamps, and that fixed the problem. It has been 1.5 years since and dry as a bone.

If you are new to Porsches I highly recommend you visit Renntech.org as well. Once you become a member there you will also have access to their library of technical service bulletins. You may be interested in TSB# 3848-3 (April 2000), it discusses an issue of spring-band type hose clamps (vs. screw-type hose clamps). It helped me when I was dealing with the troubleshooting of my car.

Best!

Last edited by Fast40th; 08-24-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:28 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I think your prices sound reasonable... I prefer independent mechanics to dealers as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Nicolaasdb: I was going to tell you that you got had over a $35 cap...here's the right one....

Makes > 1999 Porsche > 911 (996) > Cooling System > Radiator Cap/Expansion Tank Cap

Part Number Brand / Description / Restrictions List Core Your Price Qty Select

Blau/CRP-Continental
Radiator Cap/Expansion Tank Cap
1 per car. $20.05 $17.75
Old 08-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

thanks chuck...I am glad I have a great independent shop....they could have "had" me to! but didn't
Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Advanced

Maybe you guys can help me. I've got a 2000 c4 cabriolet with 45k on the clock. This car is awesome but it ALWAYS smells like coolant. I've had it in to the dealer 3x and they have left it running, checked all the fan switches, the cap, the tank, pressure test and flush. They say nothing wrong. I say BS. Plus in the Summer, the temp gauge always goes past straight vertical which on every other car (read 26) I've ever owned means bad news. Is the dealer a jackass or am I?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

On a 996 the car will run warmer in the summer....this is the only car I have ever had that does this....Its normal....now the coolant smell is your coolant tank leaking ever so slighty when it expands...then when it cools down in contracts..no leak....I would look there first. Mine had that smell too when I first got it and a few weeks later a puddle of coolant was under my car.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Today!