996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What does this look like to you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:01 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this look like to you?

I removed the bumper and found this. The other rod (what ever its call) does not have any scraping on it.

Do you think this car has hit something with its bumper?

When I bought the car I knew the bumper had been repainted when I had the PPI done, but was told it had not been in an accident.

As far as I can tell it's the orginal bumper
Attached Images   

Last edited by evansaero; 08-13-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evansaero
Do you think this car has hit something with its bumper?
Yes.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Loren
Yes.
Would you say it's a "hard hit" or maybe a "roll into" being that it's the only side

Crap
Old 08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who knows.....sometimes it is better not to look to hard to find things....you already bought the car and now you are pissed....you can't give it back.....so keep on driving and enjoying the Porsche!!

whipe the scraping away and reset your mind till before the bumper removal!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

First, based on the picture I don't believe it has been in a bad accident. The picture of the part you are looking at is the "impact absorber". It is basically a shock to absorb low-speed impacts. The fact that it compressed and bounced back leads me to believe that there was a low speed impact (parking low speeds). Harder impacts would normally break the absorber and bend the frame. By the rub pattern around the center shaft it appears to be pretty uniform suggesting a straight on hit.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:59 PM
evansaero
Pro

Well, when I bought the car from the Prosche dealer I went over the inspection sheet and walked around the car with the service mgt so that he could explain any questions I had.

I asked about the bumper and he stated it only was repainted and was not because of an accident.

What really pisses me off is you would think to look for front end damage if the bumper has been repainted.

My guess is they did

Oh well it could be worse, I need a beer maybe a couple
Old 08-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a simple test -
Find someone with a PST2 (or PIWIS tester) - look at the engine operating hours and then look at the air bag operating hours. If the engine hours are much longer than the airbag hours - chances are the airbag has been replaced.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 AM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Loren
Here is a simple test -
Find someone with a PST2 (or PIWIS tester) - look at the engine operating hours and then look at the air bag operating hours. If the engine hours are much longer than the airbag hours - chances are the airbag has been replaced.
Thanks Loren YOU ROCK

Tomorrow I will be contributing to renntech.

Now I have to find a person with the pst2????
Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by evansaero
Now I have to find a person with the pst2????
The dealers have this...not many personal ones or even indies as these are exensive to purchase and maintain (requires annual updates).
Old 08-14-2006, 01:05 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Default Porsche Tester

There is a fellow in our club that makes code readers that read the codes from Porsches.
I had a bad seat belt / airbag connector and he was able to read the code from my car's computer. It told me that the passenger seat had the faulty connection. This is a somewhat common problem.
My airbag light had come on in my dash display. He was able to reset my display with his device also. However, it activated again but only after my wife sat in the passenger seat.
This fellow's name is Durham Plummer. email is duramp@gmail.com
Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

You know, I am betting that it was not a bad hit at all. After all, if it had been a bad hit, that bumper part would have been the first thing to be replaced. How does your car drive? Does it align properly? Are you wearing tires abnormally? If all "seems" well, than it is well. Know what I mean?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Just curious does the rear have shocks to?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 AM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by TD in DC
You know, I am betting that it was not a bad hit at all. After all, if it had been a bad hit, that bumper part would have been the first thing to be replaced. How does your car drive? Does it align properly? Are you wearing tires abnormally? If all "seems" well, than it is well. Know what I mean?
Car drives great... I did get a deal of a life time

Drove 7 different 911 all different years and this one drove better than any of them. The car springs back from bumps and has great feed back while on the road. Had align done before I bought it and drives straight. Car has a minor tracking problem when I encounter certain road changes, but tires need to be replaced in the next couple thousand miles and the tread is wearing normally. Yes all seems well its just that I took the dam bumper off and now I know and when I go to sell it i a couple of years I will have to disclose this find. If I can find it anyone can

There is a fellow in our club that makes code readers that read the codes from Porsches.
Thanks for the info. I found his company that sells the Porsche Diagnostic Tool. I will call another dealer and ask what the cost would be to read the info for me or I will buy the tester.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't even check the PS-2. You own the car and what you show in the pic looks like the previous owner bumped into something gently. While the bumper had to be repainted, the car was not damaged in any significant way or else you would see evidence of other parts being replaced including the shock absorber that you show.

Try to get it out of your mind and enjoy the car. It sounds like you love it, and got a great deal. Sometimes, it's better to leave things as they are and not dig too deep (although I belive you have nothing to worry about with this issue).
Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the looks of the shock absorber, the car was involved in a front end collision around 30mph... seen it before.

Quick Reply: What does this look like to you?