996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What does this look like to you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that is all that happened in a 30 mph collision I would be shocked. I would expect to see evidence of a lot more being replaced or bent/damaged parts for a 30 mph collision. I bet it was more like 10-15 mph. Of course, both of us are just guessing.

In any event, if the car is driving well like he says it is, then this whole discussion really is, well, irrelevant.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
Here is a simple test -
Find someone with a PST2 (or PIWIS tester) - look at the engine operating hours and then look at the air bag operating hours. If the engine hours are much longer than the airbag hours - chances are the airbag has been replaced.
OK. So I went to the dealer today an had them read the air bag and engine hours.

Engine Hours: 1575
Air Bag Hours: 5473

To me this would indicate a new engine some time ago
I have 50,000 miles on the car right now
The dealer never stated the engine being newer?

When you put a new motor in does the Odometer start at zero?

I now think I can sleep at night now

I now can sell the car in the future and show the buyer the info I now have. That being said I feel a lot better
Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Interesting. I did not know about this air bag hours. Maybe Loren knows how it is determined, unless it is the same as engine operating hours.

The engine operating hours are stored in the DME. When a replacement engine goes in the DME operating hours is not set to zero.

Or, in my case, I had the DME replaced when my Boxster was 8 years old. My original DME has 1,622 operating hours (I still have the original engine). When the new DME went in I had zero operating hours on an 8 year old car. The next owner of my car may wonder why I have over 60,000 miles on the odometer, but very few engine operation hours, unless they search the Porsche computer and find out the DME was replaced.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Interesting. I did not know about this air bag hours. Maybe Loren knows how it is determined, unless it is the same as engine operating hours.

The engine operating hours are stored in the DME. When a replacement engine goes in the DME operating hours is not set to zero.

Or, in my case, I had the DME replaced when my Boxster was 8 years old. My original DME has 1,622 operating hours (I still have the original engine). When the new DME went in I had zero operating hours on an 8 year old car. The next owner of my car may wonder why I have over 60,000 miles on the odometer, but very few engine operation hours, unless they search the Porsche computer and find out the DME was replaced.
I know the airbag hours start from when the key is turn to acc. You how see a larger airbag hour but I don't think you would see a 4000 hour difference

That makes since with the DME starting over when it is replaced but why or how could I have 5000+ hours on the air bag?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Maybe the previous owner replaced the ECU to get "tuned" and then replaced the stock ECU prior to sale?

Either way, I wouldn't worry. Drive and enjoy!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by mitch236
Maybe the previous owner replaced the ECU to get "tuned" and then replaced the stock ECU prior to sale?

Either way, I wouldn't worry. Drive and enjoy!
Not worried anymore.

I'm going to go drive it right now... To autozone

Need more wax
Old 08-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

5,473 is a lot of hours. Your engine operating hours is about right for a car with 50k miles.

Maybe the ignition key was left on for a few months. Just a joke. I really don't know. I'll have to ask Peter Smith why this air bag figure appears in it's face to be so high. Are you positive about the air bag firure? I did not know about an air bag figure until today.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
evansaero
Pro

Are you positive about the air bag firure? I did not know about an air bag figure until today.
Yes, I had the dealer give me a print out.

Also just to keep things civil I went to a different porsche dealer than the one I bought it from.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks that the dealer may have mislead you, but if there is no other visible damage - eg. stress cracks in the paint on the frame, visible frame damage, car tracks straight, etc. you should be o.k. As others have pointed out, it is a shock absorber and it did what it was supposed to do - never nice to whack a p-car though. In higher speed impacts they often leak so this was likely in the 10 mph area I would think. If you can get in at the back side of your bumper cover, you'll likely be able to see if was repaired.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The air bag hours are in the air bag control unit. The engine operating hours are in the DME.

This is what may have happened.

When you turn the key on but do not start the car, the air bag counter starts. When you turn off a running car with the key but do not remove the key the air bag counter is still going because the air bag system is operational until the key is removed. So perhaps the prior owner had a habit of not removing the key all the time after the engine was turned off and in a garage. You would usually end up with a dead battery after a while, but maybe there was a fresh battery or a maintainer.

For grins, Peter checked a Cayman in the shop with 3k miles on it. The engine operating hours was 137.4. The air bag was 162.9.

All just an educated guess.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:44 PM
evansaero
Pro

The air bag hours are in the air bag control unit. The engine operating hours are in the DME.

This is what may have happened.

When you turn the key on but do not start the car, the air bag counter starts. When you turn off a running car with the key but do not remove the key the air bag counter is still going because the air bag system is operational until the key is removed. So perhaps the prior owner had a habit of not removing the key all the time after the engine was turned off and in a garage. You would usually end up with a dead battery after a while, but maybe there was a fresh battery or a maintainer.

For grins, Peter checked a Cayman in the shop with 3k miles on it. The engine operating hours was 137.4. The air bag was 162.9.

All just an educated guess.
Thanks for looking into this for me.

If you do the math my air bag miles per hour are half that of the Cayman

Quick Reply: What does this look like to you?