Sponsored by:

Luxury Motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 PM
mm23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury Motors

Stay away from Luxury Motors in Downers Grove, IL. I put a credit card deposit on a 1999 996 after a salesman told me on the telephone that the car that I was asking about on a so-called "mint" that had "never been wrecked" and "needed no work" and no RMS leaks.

I spent the money on a good PPI and the results told a different story altogther. The car was a mess. It had been in an accident as there was significant body and paint work to the front end. The clutch needed to be replaced and the RMS needed to be replaced. The airbag kit needed to be replaced due to the accident and so on and so on. The PPI came up with about $9,000 worth of work most of which was necessary.

I have my deposit back but they refused to pay for the PPI that I never would have done if they had told me the truth.

Don't trust them, whatever they say.

Also if you are currently considering buying a blue 99 from them, don't do it.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 AM
jayfunk
Advanced

i was just there today. which car was it?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 AM
mm23
Intermediate

Midnight or Metallic (Dark) Blue with Metropol Blue Leather manual transmission. They were asking $31,999.

The good news is that I found another car in better condition for a substanitally better price.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

mm, please PM me with the details of the car you got. I am perusing the market for a 996 and any info on actual sales will be very helpful.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got lucky!!

Dont sweat not getting your PPI money back, that is an OPTION to you anyways...
Old 08-11-2006, 11:06 AM
frappold
Advanced

I bought my car there, and I have to say it was probably the best car buying experience I've ever had. The car was better than described and the whole deal was painless. I have however heard some negative things also.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Twinned
Intermediate

Gotta say - a friend and I stopped in the one at Downer's Grove when I was looking for my Cayenne, and that place and those people just gave me the *******. It was like re-living watching my Dad negotiate a car deal in 1973. I know they're national and spend tons on advertising, but there is something not quite right about it. I won't speculate in a public forum as to exactly what it is, but something ain't right.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:02 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Traded in a Mercedes for a Porsche 968 coupe there some years ago. Bought the car (on my birthday - just coincidence) December 22nd, didn't get the title from them until May 3rd! They never had the title to the car when they sold it too me! Plus they never told me it was a "salvaged" car, so 6 weeks after I trade it in on my Boxster(P dealer locally) I get a call saying you owe us another $5,000, the car is salvaged! The local Porsche dealer wholesaled it out and whoever bought it ran a carfax on it. What a mess. Be careful with that place, many lawsuits pending I hear. It was a fabulous car though for the 2+ years I owned it. I would never have know it was in an accident. I just talked to someone who bought a 2003 BMW 540 from them and had a wonderful experience. With the hundred of cars they hold, there will be some good experiences and cars.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 PM
kappa88af
Advanced

Default Went there as well

I was there about three weeks ago and drove a Red 02 996 Coupe. The asking price was 54K. The car had 42K miles. I told them it was too much and offered 47900. They counted back at 49200. I still thought that was high but believed I could have gotten it for the 47900. They were a little high pressure for me. I decided against it.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:04 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 589 Posts

Any used car that is not CPO will be a crapshoot regardless of where you buy it. Any salesman anywhere will tell you anything he thinks you want to hear to make the sale. I even bought a CPO BMW X5 and low and behold it the front end turned out to have been totally wrecked. Mechanic found all the evidence when he couldn't get it to align. BMW tried everything in their mighty legal powers to avoid the issue and make me go away. I finally traded it in on something else and they gave me what I had paid for it originally just to shut me up.

This isn't 1957. They are all liars; even the factory dealerships. Just deal with that fact.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Boxster
Traded in a Mercedes for a Porsche 968 coupe there some years ago. Bought the car (on my birthday - just coincidence) December 22nd, didn't get the title from them until May 3rd! They never had the title to the car when they sold it too me! Plus they never told me it was a "salvaged" car, so 6 weeks after I trade it in on my Boxster(P dealer locally) I get a call saying you owe us another $5,000, the car is salvaged! The local Porsche dealer wholesaled it out and whoever bought it ran a carfax on it. What a mess. Be careful with that place, many lawsuits pending I hear. It was a fabulous car though for the 2+ years I owned it. I would never have know it was in an accident. I just talked to someone who bought a 2003 BMW 540 from them and had a wonderful experience. With the hundred of cars they hold, there will be some good experiences and cars.
the exp. is good, as long as the guy didn't find the car was totally before.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A Chicago newspaper article reported that there have been numerous complaints filed against them with the Better Business Bureau.

I have been in the dealership myself on more than one occasion and I would agree with others that there is an underlying slimy feel to the place and their sales staff. If you are going to shop there be careful.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM
jayfunk
Advanced

thanks for the info. i actually bought my 2001 M3 from them two years ago and had a great buying experience. there is "diamonds" in the rough but i do agree that the place could be shady. just becareful and do your homework before you buy anything.

i was just there because im trying to find a 996 and sell the M3.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
jeffsnavely
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother just bought a Saab at Luxury Motors for $15k with my help over the phone. From his report of the experince, it was hands down the WORST car buying experience I've ever heard of. From beginning to end it was a screwed up mess.

Almost 2 months later, they still have not gotten him the 2nd key for the CPO car that they owe him.

The worst insult of all was when he was leaving (after hours of being jerked around), he noticed that the gas tank was empty. When he went back to the saleman, the guy gave him a voucher for $15 of gas!!! When he went to the gas station and filled it up, the attendent said that when using the voucher, he couldn't accept a credit card for the rest, forcing him to pay cash. So he had to use the ATM in the gas station or he would have had no cash left for tolls on the way home.

I live in the DC area, and although their prices are great, I would never buy a car long distance from them.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:40 PM
964NewBloke
Intermediate

Default Luxury Motors suck

I had a really bad PPI experiance on a Mercedes SL500 about 3 years ago. Sales guy claimed it was in mint condition. Mercedes tech that did the PPI, stated the car needed around $5,000 worth of work & it was in general poor condition..

Quick Reply: Luxury Motors