996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The new K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:50 AM
TTJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new K&N Cold Air Intake

Haven't seen any posts on the new K&N intake so I thought I'd share my experience so far. Installed the kit two weeks ago. I've attended a two day autocross since then, so I can say with certainty the intake is more powerful; I'd guess 5 hp (which could be anywhere between 2 and 10).

Unfortunately, there are more than a few drawbacks:

#1. Warranty stipulates that you must return to stock when it rains. This is no doubt due to the poor placement of the conical filter. Too bad I read this after completing assembly...

#2. Unit is shown (and no doubt tested) without the dry charger cover (keeps water out of the intake) but again, the warranty stipulates you must use the restrictive cover. I hate when marketing advertises one thing, and sells another!

#3. Materials and craftsmanship are poor. There are huge gaps for hot air to seep into the intake... The kit uses the factory intake tube without enough support to mate the intake from the tunnel to the deck lid... Had to run to the hardware store to get real screws, nuts and bolts...

#4. The sound is OK at low RPMs, but very annoying above 6000 RPM.

I will probably throw this system away.

Does anyone know about the EVOMS cold air intake?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the review.....I was waiting for one....thinking of buying the system...I have the fabspeed "coldair" intake...and am pretty happy with it...

Changing back to stock when it rains???? I you kidding???...so you got to have the stock parts in the trunk on a long trip! THAT SUCKS! and is stupid!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. I waved off the notion of using the K&N intake after reading a bunch of guys' complaints about build quality and mediocre separation from the engine's hot air. I'm still keen to get a CAI and have narrowed it down to the EVO version when the time is right.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The huge hot air gaps are a potential problem I questioned since I first saw the photos. Then when people started reporting MAF problems that pretty much sealed the deal (not to buy) for me.

I think I may eventually get the Evo system for my 996. I have their intake on my Boxster and it has worked well for 4 years now.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
villajoe
Advanced

The only problem with the MAF is that people were putting them in backwards.

Although there are gaps that would let hot air from the engine in, once in motion air should be coming in from the decklid forcing air in the engine compartment to go down.

I'm not saying it's perfect, there could definitely be some improvements in the design.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So is there anyone that has it that is happy with it? I bought ita few weeks ago and still have to install it. I'm wondering if I should just sell it on ebay...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

I have had mine in for a month or so in my daily driver and have had zero problems. My only issues with the system is the low build quality and a few missing nuts and bolts in the kit when it arrived.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by villajoe
The only problem with the MAF is that people were putting them in backwards.
That is NOT the case. I have read otherwise here and on 6speedonline. While there do seem to be some folks that installed the sensor in backwards, there were also a fair share that reported CELs and insisted that the sensor was mounted correctly. FWIW....
Old 08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Somebody explain to me again why people are installing these false hp claim poorly constructed air boxes in their car when the Porsche one is engineered and constructed properly? Oh yeah, and I don't have to do anything with my factory airbox when it rains since they already built that feature into the airbox to get rid of any water that should make it into the airbox.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 PM
TTJunkie

Default LVDell has a point

I agree that installing another air box is silly, but for $300 it was worth a try. My X51 power option (25 hp) was $14,000, so I'll probably try the EVOMS set-up even though I've been burned by K&N. Worse case, another $500 down the drain. Best case, 10 hp without the fuss.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TTJunkie
Best case, 10 hp without the fuss.
Probably closer to 5hp, if any. Waste of cash if you ask me. Personally I would spend the $500 on 2 DE weekends
Old 08-09-2006, 02:58 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody compared it to a drop-in K&N filter?

I mean..at the end of the day the stock system is a cold-air intake (aka it only draws air from outside).

The rest of the equation is:
1) exposed filter surface area
2) piping diameter and how smooth it is.
3) filter material

From what I can tell...the conical K&N is probably not more surface area than the stock filter.

Gut feeling is that a freer flowing drop-in filter would give at least 80% of the HP gains of a complete system.

thanks,
Amir
Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I now have both, Evo V-Flow and the new K&N - I agree with the poor build quality of the K&N compare to the Evo, the Evo looks better and has a better Cold Air BOX, The K&N simply does not ! Hot air must get in, I can't see how only cold air is force into the filter system. HP Gains, no sure, I have too many engine mods to notice 5-10hp - Throttle response in both kits are good. That's all folks - The bottom Line, The EVO is a much better unit PERIOD. !
Old 08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And what is the fix for the K&N unit rubbing on acceleration, as mine is doing?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:00 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
Personally I would spend the $500 on 2 DE weekends
Rah! It only takes a little perspective to see what's the better usage of cash. Thanks for the reminder. May have to force schedule LimeRock (read, beg the girlfriend).

Quick Reply: The new K&N Cold Air Intake