996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

A wierd one... PSM and ABS lights come on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for a P0102 fault. P0102 is the same error you will get if the MAF is unplugged. This can also cause ABS and PSM lights to come on as the DME is not sensing the PSM data and combining it with the throttle position and mass air flow readings.

Second possibility is a (intermittent) bad wheel sensor. A shop with a PST2 could test that for you.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:27 PM
sfirestine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up seems the majority rules!

Ok, hopefully this is the end of my thread and problem finally! After speaking with K&N, they told me they contacted a local Porsche dealer who specialized in the K&N products as well. They mentioned a few things that could be causing these 2 lights to come on, but that it might also be that my car had one of the faulty MAFs for that year. They said there was an updated MAF and I decided to give that a shot. The part number on my MAF was 99660612400 and the new one listed on the Autohaus Arizona website was 98660612501 (I'm guessing with the 986 it is a Boxster part but works on the 911). I got it and the new MAF does look just a tiny bit different from the one on my car. I re-installed the K&N, adding the one additional "L-Bracket" mentioned in the thread here.

I also put my AEM dry filter on the end instead of the oiled K&N one, jut to be really safe.

Well I just got back from "driving it like I stole it" for the past two hours and so far the lights have not come back on, and I have not gotten any CELs. I also am not hearing the rubbing noises I used to prior to adding the bracket when it would rub against the one pulley tensioner.

I will keep you posted, but so far so good! I did many many hard pulls at WOT past 5 grand and not once did any of the lights come on. So far the powerband appears to have really evened out as well, so I hope this is the end of it because I seem to have gotten a pretty darn good setup now!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with the new style maf you should also get a reflash for the dme
Old 08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sfirestine
They mentioned a few things that could be causing these 2 lights to come on, but that it might also be that my car had one of the faulty MAFs for that year.
There is no faulty MAF and K&N is talking out of there @ss. For MY02 the entry path (air sampling port) to the sensor element was angled 45 degrees (1st image), every other Bosch MAF made previously and the MAF used on the TT up until MY04 was straight (2nd image), it helps but oiled filters still cause it problems. And as mentioned above the DME needs to be reflashed (I only found a DME record for updating the Boxster with the newer MAF but nothing for the 996. I don't own a PiWiS so it could be located there) because the output voltage curve of the sensor is different for each sensor.

I also put my AEM dry filter on the end instead of the oiled K&N one, jut to be really safe.
A dry filter is the only way to be 100% safe.

I will keep you posted, but so far so good!
Good Luck!!! Nothing sucks more than buying crappy aftermarket parts that have have zero R&D behind them.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 08-12-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:19 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the update is specific to the 986 but we usualy update early 996s as well as there are updated maps for them
Old 08-13-2006, 10:04 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sfirestine - Which size AEM dry filter did you get? Was it the shorter 5" length with a 3.25 inlet opening?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:55 PM
sfirestine
Track Day

Post AEM filter

Hi wlee, no it is the 3.5" by 5" one. The part number is AEM 21-204DK. I was going to get it at AJUSA, but then I found it cheaper at this place closer to me and I had it in a day with only like $5.95 shipping charges. Highly recommend them: PTuning
Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went to the AEM site and their alpha index doesn't even list Porsche there....where did you get the cross index for that part number?.....or is this strictly by measurements?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:43 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp?subCatID=23

Scroll to the bottom - they are generic filters...not made specifically for any make/model car
Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 PM
NVRL8T
1st Gear

Not that I want to keep this post alive; however, I just purchased a 2002 996 and while driving back from NJ to VA......of course, both the PSM and ABS lights come on. I took it to a local shop and they related they received an error code 4460, which they said I needed to replace my hyrolic unit (about $3K). Has anyone had a similiar error code or problem?

Travis
Old 08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
toolu
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NON-OEM FILTERS KILL MAFS. I HOPE YOU CAN AFFORD ANOTHER MAF. GET RID OF CRAPPY AFTERMARKET PARTS
A dry filter is the only way to be 100% safE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I will keep you posted, but so far so good!

Good Luck!!! Nothing sucks more than buying crappy aftermarket parts that have have zero R&D behind them
Old 08-26-2006, 11:04 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, hopefully this is the end of my thread and problem finally! After speaking with K&N, they told me they contacted a local Porsche dealer who specialized in the K&N products as well. They mentioned a few things that could be causing these 2 lights to come on, but that it might also be that my car had one of the faulty MAFs for that year. They said there was an updated MAF and I decided to give that a shot. The part number on my MAF was 99660612400 and the new one listed on the Autohaus Arizona website was 98660612501 (I'm guessing with the 986 it is a Boxster part but works on the 911). I got it and the new MAF does look just a tiny bit different from the one on my car. I re-installed the K&N, adding the one additional "L-Bracket" mentioned in the thread here.

Well I just got back from "driving it like I stole it" for the past two hours and so far the lights have not come back on, and I have not gotten any CELs. I also am not hearing the rubbing noises I used to prior to adding the bracket when it would rub against the one pulley tensioner.

I will keep you posted, but so far so good! I did many many hard pulls at WOT past 5 grand and not once did any of the lights come on. So far the powerband appears to have really evened out as well, so I hope this is the end of it because I seem to have gotten a pretty darn good setup now!
Well, hopefully my story will turn out like yours. I installed the cold air intake from K&N last night and have had the same issues some of you reported. Mine were a little different though.

I started the car after following ALL of the instructions. Right from the get-go, my PSM off and my ABS lights came on. The car seemed to idle ok for about 30 seconds then my engine light came on the idle on the car turned to a little hesitation...if I gave it a little gas, the rpms would climb up fine but they would drop really low and the battery power would drop lower than 12 and it almost seemed the car wanted to die.

I guess I will have to contact K&N to find out what story they will tell me know - well, I took my chances as I had read several nightmare posts about this product. I guess there was part of me that felt that maybe it was in issue with installation but, I guess I have to admit when I am wrong. I WAS WRONG. There - that feels better.

Before I contact them I guess I will disconnect the negative terminal yet again for a couple of hours and see if that does anything....
Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

you must of way way way over oiled the filter to throw faults that quick. sounds like you started the car with maf unplugged (shuttuing it off and plugging it in will not clear it) or the connection is loose or the maf is in backwards.

Quick Reply: A wierd one... PSM and ABS lights come on