Sponsored by:

The new K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:01 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
And what is the fix for the K&N unit rubbing on acceleration, as mine is doing?
Ah, that'd be the returns department.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:54 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no CEL or rubbing problems. I did add 2 additional mounts to mine when I installed it. I will be re-dynoing with the addiitonal of the K&N and Fabspeed exhaust to see what the real gains are. It really surprises me that I have never seen an independent dyno of an EVOMS or K&N intake on this forum.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! I'm sick of the speculation!

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I've had no CEL or rubbing problems. I did add 2 additional mounts to mine when I installed it. I will be re-dynoing with the addiitonal of the K&N and Fabspeed exhaust to see what the real gains are. It really surprises me that I have never seen an independent dyno of an EVOMS or K&N intake on this forum.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Could you elaborate on the additioal mounts?

- Cam
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's the additional mounts I did...

I had the same rubbing issues on acceleration - below is a pic of the two things I did...first was an additional bolt for the oem intake to the K&N housing...

The other is an L bracket that secures the intake side of the box.....

Let me know if you have any questions...no problems for me...no CELs either.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Wlee69,

I appreciate you going to the trouble of taking & posting the picture!!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
villajoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by nycebo
That is NOT the case. I have read otherwise here and on 6speedonline. While there do seem to be some folks that installed the sensor in backwards, there were also a fair share that reported CELs and insisted that the sensor was mounted correctly. FWIW....
I'm on 6 speed too, I don't recall seeing anybody that had a CEL that didn't go away once they fixed the MAF sensor.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Hey guys I just read a thread on 6 Speed where one person is stating that the new K&N CAI will not work properly with TIP 996s. Anyone else with a TIP have issues? I am curious, because I just ordered mine and have a Tip. If it is going to cause any issue, I will not use it and return the product? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Happens on both Tip and 6-speed.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Could you elaborate on the additioal mounts?

- Cam
I followed WLEE69 on this one. I added a third mount for the intake scoop following his example. I made a different bracket for the side. Rather than drill through my car and use an L-Bracket as he did, I used angle iron to make a bracket that attaches to the access hole just below the latch. I used rubber washers everywhere to damper and squeeks or rattles that may result. I'll take pics when I get home.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

02 Carrera, please post pics. My CAI is to arrive today or tomorrow. Can't wait. Hope all goes well.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:58 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Pics:

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-27-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I installed the EVO along with headers, mufflers, and the EVO performance flash ....and am very satisfied with the performance and the engineering. I looked at the K and N and questioned the engineering from the start...and it looks like the questions and issues being brought up and discussed are valid in terms of the claims for HP gains and potential poor engineering for the K and N. Just the fact they threw in a disclaimer that said you had to retrofit back to your original air box during "inclement weather" or it could affect your warranty???? What's that? It rains and I have to retrofit my car?? What the hell kind of engineering is that? I'll tell you what it is...it means that the placement of the filter is such that it can suck water into the intake during travel over wet roadways....which doesn't necessarily mean a rainstorm...it could be a broken water main or other unforseen reason for water in the roadway.....and Porsche doesn't think that's something they should cover in their warranty. Frankly I don't think they should either. And why would you want to subject your car to that possibility anyway? The EVO doesn' t have that problem due to the fact they designed it to sit on the other side of the engine compartment in a box that protects it from such an anomaly.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:34 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Well, I followed suit & added an "L" bracket as others, but I also
enlarged the front (motor side) opening where the stock intake
tube fits into the airbox by ~3/8"-1/2" to allow the top of the stock
intake to to fit back into the opening of the part on the bottom of the
bonnet......by pulling back on the unit with the "L" bracket, it caused
the two to not mesh perfectly, now it is right.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the thread everyone. I've spend the past few weeks debating whether to install mine or not. On the sum, it seems like I've found more positive than negative comments on the filter and that it does increase HP. But it's borderline and I might end up just selling my 996 soon if we move due to work, so I've decided not to install it after all. Doesn't seem worth the trouble anymore.

btw, if anybody here is interested and wants to get a brand new one for a really good price, I just listed mine on ebay. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link or not, so PM if you are interested

thanks!

Quick Reply: The new K&N Cold Air Intake