Sponsored by:

AI Design Footwell sub review

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AI Design Footwell sub review

Not sure anyone else here has one of these in their car, so I decided to write up a little review in case you are looking to upgrade your audio system.

Well I have lived with it a week and here is my honest opinion....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thing THUMPS. For a single 8" driver, its amazing...fills the entire car with low end. I have my amp on about 7 for the sub, and its nice a solid. Not too much, doesnt rattle the car unless you want it to...lol....I thought the car sounded great with the Focal upgrade and just the Audison amp, but now, its truly like a really nice home stereo, or really nice bi-amped studio monitors. I am driving it (and all my speakers) with the Audison LRX 6.9 which is 950 watts total, and 230 to the sub @ 2 ohms. the seperates and the rears are getting 80 watts each at 4 ohms....The awesome thing about he sub is its not "Boomy" or annoying low end, its tight and solid...I listen to all kinds of music from Rap/Hip Hop to Brazillian Jazz to Classical...and it handles all types of music well....I almost went with another system but was told if I wanted to hear R&B and rap, it was the wrong system to get, and it would have cost me 3 times as much. This sub will work with whatever music you like.

My likes:
1. the sound....amazing.

2. looks, it looks very factory...I was asked by someone sitting in the fron seat, where are all the speakers? I pointed to just the sub....they were perplexed that so much sound seemed like ot was coming from everywhere.
3. ease of install, just plop it in, wire it up and you are done.

4. size - this thing is smaller and lighter than I thought it would be. Not much room at all lost in the footwell and the passenger can still stretch out completely.

My dislike:
1. hmmm....maybe price? Its $795, and thats not too bad for a custom box WITH the driver. so thats not really a dislike.
2. Time to get it....
A&I is a VERY busy shop and they custom make these when they are ordered, they dont have a bunch sitting on the shelf, so I did have to wait longer than I wanted, but Chris at A&I kept me in the loop and sent it out faster than I expected.

Here are some initial pics installed in my car....

their website is
http://www.aidesign.com
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review, Newport. I have a question though... do you find it disconcerting that the bass is coming from the front passenger footwell? Bass is kind of omni-directional anyway but I'm a bit concerned because I am used to seeing sub enclosures in the rear of the car.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

I was a little worried at first, BUT it sounds like it coming from EVERYWHERE....the kick drum thumps you in the chest, it does not at all sound like its coming from there...thats why my passenger looked around and asked where are all the speakers?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again. I have had the subwoofer upgrade in my to do list for a while but have been busy traveling for work and vacation. I still want to try and get it done this summer though.

I have pretty much the same setup that you do except I have the Audison SRx5 powering Focal 100V2 dash speakers, Focal 5WS door speakers (which I have set up as subwoofers) and the stock rear speakers. It all sounds pretty good but I think it will sound a heck of a lot better if I get a subwoofer like yours. I plan on using the SRx5 to power the dashspeakers, door speakers (which I will set up as mid-bass) and the subwoofer and power the rear speakers with the headunit. What do you think?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

it may work...but dont expect your rears to keep up from the head unit....i had it setup just like that with an lrx 300.4 but the rears were not nearly loud enough....so i got the lrx 6.9 so i can drive all the speakers...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:02 AM
SIBEX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey newport..What head unit do you have and can you post some detail images of your install ?
Thanks

Quick Reply: AI Design Footwell sub review