Boston area owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I'm considering a job in the area (Natick) and was amazed at the a)traffic and b)carelessness of the drivers in the city. I wondering whether its possible to have a nice car and keep it that way living in the city or whether I should just get a beater and wait until I can afford a weekend only car...

Shawn
I'd definitely advise NOT living in Boston with any car you care about. Boston is not a car friendly town (parking, traffic, etc.).

Natick or similar suburbs will be fine, especially with a C4! If it snows a lot, just wait for the plows as opposed to plowing it yourself using your spoiler. Last year, I drove my Boxster S when the roads were clear of salt. I drove my other vehicle (Pathfinder) when the roads were too messy. To me, salt is worse than snow. I just hate the idea of salt getting up into who knows where.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree! NO matter what you do to clean the undercarriage after a drive on wet/salty roads, your car will see some trace of rust building-up slowly with time. Every summer I would try to treat any trace of rust with sanding/chemical treatment/painting on the undercarriage frame, but again the rust would come back. At the time, of course I owed lesser quality cars but still try to take good care of all of them. Salt is a lilent killer for metal frame, springs etc... I think, it is best to keep your P-car in the garage and wait until all salts are clear from the roadways if you want to keep your car rust-free for a long time. But Fall and Springtime weathers are the best there.
Cheers,
Old 07-28-2006, 02:44 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I've lived here the last six winters, and we've never gotten real snow more than four or five times; last winter it only snowed once. Winter before, four storms, three really big ones. It's not as bad as people think it is here. It ain't Buffalo.
I went to school in Syracuse and would agree...Boston and Buffalo are worlds apart. But, if you are a believer in long term averages, six years is a pretty small sample size and most would argue the light snowfall in some years will balance out in time. We lived in Southborough and I still work in Boston and am there most weeks. But, I didn't buy my P-car until we moved to Hotlanta, where the roads are generally great and it is sunny all the time.

-- M
Old 07-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm thinking about selling off the P-car, getting a bike for the good weather, and using wife's 4Runner for bad weather....Cash from the P-car would get her something else. The 4runner can take a beating and I won't care....I'm just spoiled with southeaster weather/cars.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I'm thinking about selling off the P-car, getting a bike for the good weather, and using wife's 4Runner for bad weather....Cash from the P-car would get her something else. The 4runner can take a beating and I won't care....I'm just spoiled with southeaster weather/cars.
I live in a suburb of Boston and I would highly recommend a Cayenne S or TT. Great in the winter, perfect for weekend jaunts around New England, no problem with pot-holes or rough roads in the city, comfortable...all that, plus fantastic P-Car handling and performance... (actually downright unbelieveable for a vehicle of that size with the afrementioned capacities).

Quick Reply: Boston area owners