Sponsored by:

Crazy in the heat!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 PM
zman53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy in the heat!

It's 96 degrees with 90% humidity here in Tampa today, and I lost my climate system. I also lost my wipers, so even though I was stuck in rush hour traffic, I thought it was a simple fuse.

When I got home, getting the key out of the ignition felt funny, sort of rubbery, and not notchy. I curiously restarted the car, and the ignition felt strange again.
I moved the key slightly to the left, and it started to blow cold air! Again when I went fully into position 2, the air would die. Also, the secutity system and locks will now not engage.

I beg your collective expertise!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:49 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's your solution BROKEN IGNITION SWITCH

Your ignition swtch has probably died, and will be doing it's best to drain your battery at this point!

The link above explains how to buy the exact part from VW/Audi, and save yourself a few hundred $$$

Unless under warranty of course!

Happens on Boxster and 996 it seems - Porsche now have a 'better' switch, which costs you $$$$$$ to have fitted, so the Audi option is a good solution.

Good luck.

Chris.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happened on my Box too
Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zman53
It's 96 degrees with 90% humidity here in Tampa today, and I lost my climate system. I also lost my wipers, so even though I was stuck in rush hour traffic, I thought it was a simple fuse.

When I got home, getting the key out of the ignition felt funny, sort of rubbery, and not notchy. I curiously restarted the car, and the ignition felt strange again.
I moved the key slightly to the left, and it started to blow cold air! Again when I went fully into position 2, the air would die. Also, the secutity system and locks will now not engage.

I beg your collective expertise!
Got the exact same symptoms as you described w/ my '00 996 Cab (28k miles), w/ AC, alarm and lock, it is definitely your ignition switch gone bad. Chris also diagnosted mine as well I got mine fixed under extanded warranty, got overcharged I am sure ($122 parts + $390 labor). If you don't have warranty, you may try to DIY w/ the help from Rennlisters here or find a competent indy. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
zman53
Advanced

Thanks guys. That's what I feared. On top of that, when I drove by my indy's shop on the way home, the bays were closed, and the guy next door told me he returned to Germany for good.

It is at the initial stage of breaking down, and I took the car out tonight. It can shut down all accessories, but now I can't lock the wheel. I realize that this is progressive.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:47 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

After it's fixed,you should install a 3rd center radiator from Porsche motorsport,your car wil run much cooler.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Sorry to hear about that! I feel you with the heat. 115 here in AZ. I run the center radiator kit and the car runs much cooler. Also once you get it fixed put some REDLINE Water Wetter in there!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:04 PM
zman53
Advanced

Fixed to the tune of $454 at the better of the two Porsche dealerships in Tampa Bay. At least I get two years parts and labor on the ignition switch this way.

I'll have to look into that center radiator. My car runs between 190 and 210 degrees in traffic here during the summer.

Quick Reply: Crazy in the heat!