Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The NEW K&N Filter Kit won't fit in my car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LVDell,

I have done the research and I can't find a single source of factual documentation that supports this claim. I did find a few other things:

In the 2000 Road & Track annual, they tested a 2000 C4 Cab and it was rated as: 296hp.
In the October 1999 issue of Motor Trend the summarized the changes and specs for the new model year and the 2000 911 is rated: 296hp.
In the October 2000 issue of Motor Trend the summarized the changes and specs for the new model year and the 2000 911 is rated: 300hp.

I have searched these forums, the tech areas, 996 FAQ, 6speedonline and even the PCA website. I have found a lot of comments like yours, but not a single pic, attachement or even a quote from a press release that could verify this claim. The only thing I could find even close was this post and response on PCA:

https://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={866F1838-E38B-47D4-BF1C-D6684DE6F90F}

The owner of an 2000 Carrera clearly states the he has seen reviews that the 2000 is supposed to have 300 hp, but his Porsche Owners Manual clearly states 296hp. This is the same as the rating in the 2000 Order Guide and the 2000 Dealer Brochure. Joel Reiser from PCA did verify that both the cats and exhaust were changed for 00', but could not substantiate the hp claim.

Can you please scan or take a pic of a formal documentation from PCNA that that documents and verifies this change in ratings? I would appreciate your help in this. It is not that I don't want to believe it, it is I just can't find anything that substantiates it.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LVDell,
It my belief that when someone spends thousands of dollars on a supecharger to get extra horsepower out of a car, they don't want to believe that $300 dollars can also add horsepower. Granted, not as much, but if you do the math it is a substantial 'bang-for-the-buck'. What you are fighting is something called PRIDE! Good to have but dangerous to guard.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Can you please scan or take a pic of a formal documentation from PCNA that that documents and verifies this change in ratings? I would appreciate your help in this. It is not that I don't want to believe it, it is I just can't find anything that substantiates it.
Try the following:

Edmunds

Here's something from a press release I found on Bloomberg, dated Dec 16, 1999 and titled, "Porsche 911 Nominated as 'Car of the Century' Award Finalist" (emphasis added):
ATLANTA, Dec. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- The Porsche 911, a lasting and legendary design from one of the world's leading sports car manufacturers, has been selected as one of five finalists for the Car of the Century Award, which along with the Car Designer of the Century, Car Engineer of the Century Award, Car Entrepreneur of the Century, and Car Executive of the Century Awards are organized by Car of the Century International N.V. The winners will be announced at the Car of the Century Awards Gala at the Venetian Hotel and Resort in Las Vegas on Dec. 18, 1999.

[SNIP]

The latest and greatest 911 platform debuted in 1998 as a 1999 model year car. The new 911 plays off the highly recognized 911 shape, but underneath is all-new technology such as a water-cooled, horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine producing 300 horsepower, Tiptronic S or manual transmission, all-wheel drive, and the Porsche Stability Management system. An all-new 911 Turbo, based on this new platform, will arrive in early 2000.
Notice the date of the press release, then the comment highlighted above that says, "The new 911...producing 300 horsepower." I can get you can annual report detailing this if you like, but I have to find a way to scan it in.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Try PAG/PCNA. I am not doing all your research for you. Let me guess......you have a 99?

FYI...R&T and MT don't count.

Here's a start
MSN AUTOS
The 911 Turbo returns as a 2001 model, sporting more power as well as full-time all-wheel drive. The rest of the 911 model lineup gets a boost from 296 to 300 horsepower thanks to a new exhaust system. Porsche's Stability Management system is now available on the 2WD Carrera, and all 911 interiors receive minor upgrades.

EDMUNDS (for 1999)
Still mounted behind the rear axle, the new engine is otherwise different in every way. The 3.4-liter flat-six double-overhead-cam motor puts out 296 horsepower and 258 foot-pounds of torque, and its new cooling system helps optimize power all over the rev range. The improved suspension is derived from the 928, and it's designed to protect the car from oversteer while cornering at the limit. Huge brake rotors and GT1-inspired monobloc calipers make slowing down even easier than accelerating.

(for 2000)
What's New for 2000
A new exhaust system bumps horsepower from 296 to 300. Already featured on Carrera 4 models, two-wheel-drive Carreras now get an electronic drive-by-wire throttle and optional PSM stability control. All models receive an upgraded interior console and materials. The formerly optional charcoal odor filter is now standard. There are two new standard and one new optional exterior colors.
Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
LVDell,

I have done the research and I can't find a single source of factual documentation that supports this claim. I did find a few other things:

In the 2000 Road & Track annual, they tested a 2000 C4 Cab and it was rated as: 296hp.
In the October 1999 issue of Motor Trend the summarized the changes and specs for the new model year and the 2000 911 is rated: 296hp.
In the October 2000 issue of Motor Trend the summarized the changes and specs for the new model year and the 2000 911 is rated: 300hp.

I have searched these forums, the tech areas, 996 FAQ, 6speedonline and even the PCA website. I have found a lot of comments like yours, but not a single pic, attachement or even a quote from a press release that could verify this claim. The only thing I could find even close was this post and response on PCA:

https://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={866F1838-E38B-47D4-BF1C-D6684DE6F90F}

The owner of an 2000 Carrera clearly states the he has seen reviews that the 2000 is supposed to have 300 hp, but his Porsche Owners Manual clearly states 296hp. This is the same as the rating in the 2000 Order Guide and the 2000 Dealer Brochure. Joel Reiser from PCA did verify that both the cats and exhaust were changed for 00', but could not substantiate the hp claim.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Melchior
LVDell,
It my belief that when someone spends thousands of dollars on a supecharger to get extra horsepower out of a car, they don't want to believe that $300 dollars can also add horsepower. Granted, not as much, but if you do the math it is a substantial 'bang-for-the-buck'. What you are fighting is something called PRIDE! Good to have but dangerous to guard.
Not following what you are saying. Who is spending the SC $$$ and refuses to believe the CAI can add 23hp?

Do YOU honestly believe that the a CAI (and CAI) can add a true 23hp to your car? Do you honestly believe that PAG is choking greater than 23hp with the stock airbox? Please.

Last edited by LVDell; 07-28-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 AM
WFO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO,

The K&N just doesn't look right on a 911. Again, just my opinion, but a K&N filter looks like something you should install in your 60's muscle car. I really believe that the factory airbox is hard to improve on. Dyno readings vary drastically from dyno to dyno. It's not hard get a little bump for advertising sake. As far as the sound.....it reminds me of the good ol' days of flipping the air cleaner lid over on a V8, and getting that "cool" sound. Kind of fun at first, but whatever. For clarification, I haven't seen a K&N install in person, nor have I heard the sound....maybe that would change my mind....but I doubt it. To each their own, not putting anyone down for having it, just expressing my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: The NEW K&N Filter Kit won't fit in my car!