Comparison: 2002 C4S vs. 2006 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Having driven both, I really am impressed with the Cayman S on the track. What a great handling car. I also agree that it is overpriced, it should be cheaper than the Boxster for obvious reasons.

For track I'd go with the Cayman. For all weather use the 4S is a no brainer especially if it is CPO.
glad you agree, that means a lot coming driver of your experience. now if you can call up porsche and add 50hp onto it, i be very happy. i dont want aftermarket, i want it from porsche.

too bad that you didn't become a porsche dealer like you planned, else you can sell me a few cayman S's below boxster S price ;-)

i really enjoy flogging the cayman.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mooty - I am still bummed I did not get the dealership. My son has a Cayman S and we traded cars. He has Cups and I was very impressed. His car lacks the grunt of my GT3 but the corner speeds were outstanding! Way faster at entry, the balance of the chassis is evident. In sport mode the suspension is outstanding for a street car. As you say, a GT3 motor in that car would be a world beater.

Best,
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
As I said, I got my numbers from Edmunds.com. I think they know about pricing.

At least I quoted where I got my numbers from and didn't use unspecified sources.

Assuming that the $41K is corect, that puts the Boxster depreciation into the -55.7% range, closer to the numbers Doug has quoted.
I DID quote where I got my numbers. They are in teh link below my comments.

I don't see anywhere on Edmunds site that sais what a new base 1999 Boxster is
Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 AM
busaganashi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd post an update since I seemed to have started all this. Thanks goes out to Boolala, a Chicago area member, who took time out of his day to visit the dealer offering the C4S. In a nutshell, the dealers description of "showroom" condition doesn't quite meet my view of what that is. Boolala saved me a ton of hassle and probably money too.

The search goes on....
Old 07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Base Boxster, retail in 1999 = $58,000
Base Carrera, retail in 1999 = $65,030
Base Carrera Cabriolet, retail in 1999 = $74,460

You didn't state where you got your numbers from, but I did and they are verifyable and correlate with my personal experience.
Ah, now I see why you feel so strongly about your "facts". And no, the base Boxster in 1999 was not $58k. In fact, the current Boxster (and Boxster S, for that matter) are below $58k new. The current base Boxster is $45k, and the Boxster S is $54.7k. ..before options, of course. FWIW the base Cayman is going to be under $50k, and only the Cayman S is above $58k ($58.9k) (http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/)

When the Boxster first came out in '97, it was "praised" for being an under $40k Porsche ($39.9k). Most impressive is how little the price has gone up over the years, even though the car just gets better and better. My brother bought his nicely optioned '03 for right around $45k. I'm sorry I don't have any source for "my numbers" on the 99s...you'll just have to take my word for it since I've owned two.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by busaganashi
I thought I'd post an update since I seemed to have started all this. Thanks goes out to Boolala, a Chicago area member, who took time out of his day to visit the dealer offering the C4S. In a nutshell, the dealers description of "showroom" condition doesn't quite meet my view of what that is. Boolala saved me a ton of hassle and probably money too.

The search goes on....
Good luck with your search!

..and remember, you don't have to worry about "condition" with a brand new car.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

He has, but his attitude improved with the 996. He now begrudgingly praises and respects them - even though he thinks their design is terrible. :
You're right...and he respects the brand for the abilities of it's cars. He loved the 997S, and even in the Cayman S report he admitted it's an amazing driving machine. He just finds little things to pick on and runs with them! (..design...marketing..)
Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=JimB]
Originally Posted by perfectlap
Where did the Cayman RSR pic come from? Is it racing somewhere?
I think it raced at the Nurburgring 24 Hours. Not sure how well it did, but it sure looks sexy!

..and no, it's not a factory effort.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are totally mis-quoting. I very specifically said that Carreras do depreciate. Only a moron would believe otherwise. I said that the do not lose their value as quickly as other p-cars and they do not drop as low as other p-cars. It really is that simple. I'm a researcher. I do research for a living. I spent the last year researching resale values before I bought my car this spring.

I challenge you to put up numbers. It's really simple. A 25 year old Carrera will still be worth $20K. You will never be able to say that of a Boxster. A colleague of mine spent $64K on this Boxster, it's not worth a fraction of that now. If he had spent the same money on a Carrara he would have lost less of his investment.
you think 25 years from now a 996 will be worth $20K? are you talking about a sealed garage queen with no more than 5K original miles? or 25 year old 996 with well north of 60K miles?

The Boxster is made from MANY of the same parts as the 996 and costs the same to maintain and the hourly labor is the same for both at the dealer. Reliability is almost identical and neither are immune to the RMS issue. Depreciation has little to do with the design of the car (well perhaps the pre-2000 Boxsters)
and the depreciation has much more to do with the large numbers of Boxster that Porsche churned out to keep the mothership from going under. Allot of those Boxsters went out for leases and are/have been coming back now at too great a pace for all of the dealers to absorb. Which of course means the supply will exceed the demmand and the prices will fall at the corresponding rate.
Many standard Carreras have lost half of their value in a five-6 year period a very similar rate to standard Boxsters. Simply having Carrera on the trunk won't save it from a significant dip unless it offers big power or AWD. Well mileaged standard Carreras are all over Ebay and other online sites in the $30K's. Optioning either Boxster ro Carrera to big total markups will always bite you in the ****.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, I think the days of low depreciation on a Porsche are over. As volume and availability have increased resale prices have been depressed. If you want low depreciation, find an F 430 (if you can). That being said, if I had the choice of a new Cayman S or a 3 year old 911, I'd go with the Cayman S without hesitation assuming I did not need AWD.

Regards,
Old 07-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys, I think the days of low depreciation on a Porsche are over. As volume and availability have increased resale prices have been depressed. If you want low depreciation, find an F 430 (if you can). That being said, if I had the choice of a new Cayman S or a 3 year old 911, I'd go with the Cayman S without hesitation assuming I did not need AWD.

Regards,
True. But even with the F430 don't put any miles on it. Those cars tumble downward with high miles.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

[QUOTE=JimB]
Originally Posted by perfectlap
you will NEVER see an ALMS race hosting two different road cars from Porsche.

QUOTE]

Durning a transition you would. Like this year in IMSA where you have two classes. One for 996s and another for 997s. I agree not for the long term. However I have no hope whats so ever that the Cayman will replace the 997 Cup Cars and RSRs. The Porsche 911 is one of the great brands of all time. They are not going to give that up. I wouldn't either.
really??? i think that's a horrible example of motorsports prestiege/cred being comprimised by marketing. Who else does this??
Would Patrick Long best the competition better in a Cayman or a 911 platform? Naturally just about every racing driver would choose the Cayman platform but a better car and the ability to show the best possible race is interferred with by a need to sell cars to guys who will never go near a track even as a spectator!???
The same guys who were like "what's all the commotion about it's just a Boxster with a fixed roof" meanwhile the track addicts are running to the track to see waht the tuners have done to it.

Porsche insists of holding onto the past at a time they can well afford to be a bit more forward thinking. Meanwhile the road purpose ZO6 is spanking the 911 at Laguna Seca by SECONDS. The starbucks middle aged mocha latter frufru drinkers are dictation what the racers can do. Oh dear...
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect,
If I understand your post correctly I think we are in violent agreement. I've said for a long time that the engineers should design the cars not the marketing department. If that was the case I think the Cayman would be the go fast car and the 911 would be the go fast in luxury car. I'm not a marketing guy but I would think that the 911 could remain the flagship without being the fastest Porsche. I think most 911 owners would be ok with watching a Cayman based racecar win races as long as it is a Porsche.
Jim
Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

+1^
Old 07-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

+2 ^^