Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about installing aluminum pedals

thinking of getting these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3ASS%3AUS%3A1

it says you have to drill the original pedals. i am confused - do you just drill the rubber part of the pedal or the metal part of the pedal?

if its just the rubber part, how strong do aluminum pedals get attached? anybody has problems?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:51 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You remove the rubber pedals (brake and clutch) and attach directly to the metal pedals.......the dead pedal and the gas are plastic anyway. I installed pedals similar to these and the way I did it was remove the rubber covers on the brake and gas and then held the alum pedals up to them and using a sharpie mades dots through the pedals in place where I wanted to drill so I can make my holes without the pedals. Makes it much easier to install. Dead pedal and gas are simple since you just tap the screws into the plastic.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed aluminum pedals similar to the pedals you are looking to buy (my pedals, however, do not have the rubber inserts).

Like Dell, I removed the rubber cover from the brake and clutch pedal and temporatily held the aluminum pedals in place with double sided tape, positioned them correctly, then used 2 spring clamps to hold them firmly in place. Then I drilled the holes through the clutch pedal (plastic) and brake pedal (metal alloy). Use a sharp titanium drill bit to drill through the brake pedal. It will take about 30 seconds per hole. Drilling the plastic clutch pedal will be much easier and only take about 5 - 7 seconds per hole.

For the foot rest pedal and gas pedals, just mount the aluminum pedals on top of the OEM pedals by screwing into the rubber/plastic OEM pedals.

Edit: Here is a pic of my pedals.
Attached Images  

Last edited by gota911; 07-17-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

$30 for shipping? Are they nuts?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Those are exactly the same one's I installed. Do a search and you'll see that many people on this forum have those. BTW: I'm very happy with how they look.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 AM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put them on over the last two weekends. Kept breaking bits so had to go get titanium ones. Took me forever too. First time drilling through anything metal and getting a decent angle on the brake pedal was tough. Trying to hold the pedal down while running the drill inches from my exposed wrist was a little nerve racking. Got the break on and realized it was not straight, so had to re drill one of the holes. Then i got it just right. Lost about five pounds from sweating, but it was worth the effort. These particular pedals look great.

One question though, the nuts don't feel real tight and I could only get a hold of some of them with a pair of pliers to tighten them. Any thoughts?

Oh and the shipping is high because they're coming from Taiwan!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:47 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Great set of pedals - looks cool, feel solid under foot.

Instead of using the bolts that came with the kit, I used Number 6 self taping screws in black, for all pedals. (From Home Depot)

I chose the oval head style screws, which blends in nicely with the black rubber inserts. You'll need two lengths, one for the dead pedals, and a shorter length for the small pedals.

Drilling is easier if you start with a drill smaller size than you'll need, then work up to the size you want via 1 or 2 other drills.

I found my 3.3mm drill gave the perfect size final hole for the self tapping screws.

Self tappers hold the pedals firmly - no worries about bolts coming un-done.

Chris.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everybody. two follow up questions:

1) do the pedals actually make a difference or is it pure "looks only" mod?
2) for somebody with big feet (size 12), would these pedals improve things or make them worse?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
thinking of getting these:

if its just the rubber part, how strong do aluminum pedals get attached? anybody has problems?
Install pics here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=pedals

They stay on just fine with the enclosed hardware, but many people upgrade screws. Rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers don't slip with leather soled shoes. It doesn't rain much here (Tx) so I can't vouch for wet or winter weather.

You know what they say about guys with size 12 feet -> get aluminum pedals for your P-car.

They really have a dramatic improvement on the interior looks, IMO. Check out the pics above...

-td
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Lots of posts on these pedals. It rains here and I find them very grippy compared to the smallish rubber OEM pads.
It's more of a "bling" kinda of mod, but I find that the larger surface of the clutch and brake pedal spread the pressure more evenly on your feet when you wear thin soled shoes. my $.02
BTW: very, very easy install with titanium bits, laser level, and spring clamps.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Like the larger surface area as pongobaz mentioned.

Also love the look in the car!

I'm a size 12, and have no problems - in fact, I prefer them over the stock rubber pedals for feel.

Chris.

Quick Reply: Q about installing aluminum pedals