Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

996 reliability at HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
bnewport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 reliability at HPDE

Anyone care to vote on how many HPDEs you attend in your 996 before something breaks? Wearables don't count.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Way too many variables....like skill of the driver and the way you treat the car.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
bnewport
Racer

Yep
But with the number of posters here then an average can come out.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive conservatively on the track as a newb, does it **** everyone else off??
Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
bnewport
Racer

I don't know but if you push, go off and black flag the session, for sure it does.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gator911
If you drive conservatively on the track as a newb, does it **** everyone else off??
That's why we have run groups.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
bnewport
Racer

Bingo.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bnewport
I don't know but if you push, go off and black flag the session, for sure it does.
Good one . So long as you exercise the passing signal, it shouldn't really be a problem being conservative, either as a newbie, or as advanced where you can pass anyhere anyway. Black flag will PO everyone.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Even with coteous passing, a conservative/slow driver is aggravating when there's a significant mismatch in speed on a track with designated passing zones. I've seen the following movie way too many times....

1) Slow car creates a train
2) Slow car offers passes to all comers at the small straightway
3) The train is so long, all of the cars can't get by
4) Cars that were in the back of the original train have to wait for the 2nd passing zone
5) After a 3-4 laps, repeat steps 1-4
5) Session is over

As SCDell sated, the best scenario is to have the drivers grouped by speed as much as possible. Corteous passing is only part of the question but 1 or 2 really slow drivers can have a faster person waiste half of a session.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
As SCDell sated
Wrong Carolina
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Even with coteous passing, a conservative/slow driver is aggravating when there's a significant mismatch in speed on a track with designated passing zones. I've seen the following movie way too many times....

1) Slow car creates a train
2) Slow car offers passes to all comers at the small straightway
3) The train is so long, all of the cars can't get by
4) Cars that were in the back of the original train have to wait for the 2nd passing zone
5) After a 3-4 laps, repeat steps 1-4
5) Session is over

As SCDell sated, the best scenario is to have the drivers grouped by speed as much as possible. Corteous passing is only part of the question but 1 or 2 really slow drivers can have a faster person waiste half of a session.
Remember, everybody is a slow car to somebody. The fastest and most capable drivers I know are frequently the most patient with newer/slower drivers. It's the "just past newbies" that seem impatient. If you're stuck behind a slower car for a few turns, take the opportunity to practice different techniques. Drive off line, left foot brake or work on your foot work. There's lots to learn when going a little slower.
Jim
Old 07-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to start DEs, but so many people i know who do it are terrified at some of the things "anxious" newbs are who try to run fast...

I dont want to put myself in jeopardy from the get go, so naturally i would tell myself to be conservative, but i dont want to hold up an event...
Old 07-14-2006, 02:38 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
It's the "just past newbies" that seem impatient.
Yep, that's me. I must admit you've got me pegged.

While I agree with you, I can't help feeling "This isn't why I committed my precious time and money" when it happens to me. Knowing how it feels to be held up, I've declined opportunities to run with faster drivers (Cup racers, etc.).

Maybe I'll see it differently when I'm way past newbie, but I don't think so. Good or bad, I'm just not a very patient person.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

I want to start DEs, but so many people i know who do it are terrified at some of the things "anxious" newbs are who try to run fast...

I dont want to put myself in jeopardy from the get go, so naturally i would tell myself to be conservative, but i dont want to hold up an event...
If you go with a well organized event, (PCA, POC, or BMW), you won't have to worry about that. They do a nice job of keeping anxious newbs in check and keep things safe for the level-headed first timers. They'll reign in the anxious newbs or send them home, but never lose sight of safety.

Last edited by LiveNupe; 07-14-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:28 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gator,
I'd really encourage you to give it a try. Like Nupe said, go with a group that has a good reputation in your area. I'm sure your local PCA region would be perfect. The first day can be a little scary but the instructors will keep you safe. Trust me, we much prefer a thoughtful conservative student that wants to learn how to drive a car to the guy (they are always men) than thinks his time tearing up canyon roads or racing at the local kart track has turned him into the next Mario. After your first day who knows where the sport will take you. Many drivers advance to the run group just above the novice group and stay there. Not because they aren't good drivers. They just enjoy that pace and don't want to risk their cars. Others work their way though the groups and eventually become club racers. Others move on to pro racing. 24 Hours at Daytona winner Kevin Buckler of The Racers Group is rumored to have done his first high speed driving at one of our PCA DEs in MN.

Or, you might decide after one day that it's not for you. Whatever path is right for you I can guarantee it's a day you'll never forget. I still reminisce about my first day on the track with my first instructor.

Nupe,
I'll bet I could slow you down, relax you and improve your lap times.
Jim

Quick Reply: 996 reliability at HPDE