Sponsored by:

Hard to start after fueling

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Joe C.
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hard to start after fueling

I have owned my '00 996 since new and only recently have I experienced this problem of the car not starting only after I refuel at my local station. The engine will crank but I must pump the gas pedal repeatedly in order for the engine to fire up. Yes the clutch pedal is depressed fully, this has happed for the last 3 consectutive fill ups and only does this directly after refueling and no other time.

Help
Joe C.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Joe C.
Instructor

Default Only Me

Wow, this is the first time I did not receive a response to my problem! This can only mean this situation is unique to my vehicle. If and when I find out a solution I will update this post. Thanks for all your help

Joe C.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
2fas4u
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

probably something like your fuel pump check valve it's letting your pressure go low ,or it's the pump ( which i doubt ) but could also be your f/p regulator start @ the check valve & fuel filter
Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

long shot: water in tank? Perhaps each time you fill it gets stirred up, and sucked into the engine first?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Joe C.
Instructor

Default I forgot

Sorry I didn't answer sooner but my computer line was down. I forgot to mention the most important thing about my problem, I always wait until I am under a quarter of a tank full and the reserve light comes on before refueling. Maybe water in the tank is possible after all? All other stopping and starting never fails to start and the car otherwise runs fine, a slight rough idle with the air off but with the air on its unnoticeable. Any more suggestions?

Thanks Again Joe C.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never run your tank empty...all the crap on the bottom gets into your pipes.....I also use a fuel system cleaner every 2/3000 miles....and only fill up with brand gas...don't know if this really matters..but it makes me feel better!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

I get the starting problem only when my car is hot and the temperature is really hot outside. I would have to do what you've stated, pump the gas to get it started.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by vove
I get the starting problem only when my car is hot and the temperature is really hot outside. I would have to do what you've stated, pump the gas to get it started.
Ditto. Mine will actually turn over initally, then die immediately when it hot sometimes. Once it turns over, I blip the the throttle once or twice and thats it.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Joe C.
Instructor

Thanks for all your replies, I refueled my car with the tank half empty, and the car started up fine no problem. I will no longer wait until the car is near an 1/8 of tank to fill up. I also started using a fuel system cleaner. All is well thanks all.

Joe C.

Quick Reply: Hard to start after fueling