996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just installed my K&N Aircharger (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 05:51 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just installed my K&N Aircharger (pics)

Overall very impressed with the fit and finish.
Installation instructions were not that great (because of the poor quality of the accompanying pictures).

Can't share anything yet about (perceived) performance increases. Will take it out for a spin tomorrow.

Here are some pictures. For sure a nice visual upgrade for the engine bay

Last edited by yvesatlanta; 09-26-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yves - I think your MAF sensor is installed in the wrong direction according to K&N. In the K&N directions it states that the opening of the MAF should face towards the filter - I believe that yours is facing the other way. I send an email to Vivid so that they could tell K&N that the precut bolt holes on their square adapter forces you to put the MAF in the way you have it. I ended up drilling new holes in the adapter to make it as they instructed....no CEL lights so far for me.....let us know how your test drive goes as I'm curious as to whether or not it matters which way to MAF sensor faces....
Old 07-01-2006, 11:42 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

The sensor is installed in the correct direction (the opening in the MAF faces the filter).
I was aware of this potential issue.
Thanks for helping me remind though !
Old 07-02-2006, 12:00 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yves - The reason it looked different is when I look at your wire harness coming out of the MAF, it looks like it comes out naturally from the right....when mine is installed (which I think is correct, and now I'm second guessing) the wire comes out from the left.....

Similar to the pics that Dan from Vivid posted last week....I wonder if some of the sensors are different???

Old 07-02-2006, 05:45 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Very cool.. i heard if the MAF is not installed correctly you should get a CEL..
Old 07-02-2006, 12:51 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Originally Posted by wlee69
Yves - The reason it looked different is when I look at your wire harness coming out of the MAF, it looks like it comes out naturally from the right....when mine is installed (which I think is correct, and now I'm second guessing) the wire comes out from the left.....

Similar to the pics that Dan from Vivid posted last week....I wonder if some of the sensors are different???

Oh, I see what you mean.
I rotated the rubber boot on top of the wiring harness 180 degrees. Makes the install look way cleaner. Takes 10 seconds.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:52 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

By the way - why didn't you install the dry charger ?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:16 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh....didn't know you could move the rubber boot!!! Agreed, looks way cleaner.....learn something new every day!

I didn't install the dry changer because I can't see the point to it...maybe it helps if you're in a downpour and water gets onto the filter, but like yourself, with the aero wing I don't really get alot of water landing on the filter itself...is there any other benefit to using it? Seems like it would make things even more restrictive?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Does the top of the box get sealed somehow when the lid is closed? Just wondering if the element is shielded from the engine bay or if it's open.

Shawn
Old 07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know a place that currnetly has these in stock??? I really want one today.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Yves,

When you have a moment please post your comments on performance.

Last edited by aben8057; 07-05-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wlee69
I didn't install the dry changer because I can't see the point to it...maybe it helps if you're in a downpour and water gets onto the filter, but like yourself, with the aero wing I don't really get alot of water landing on the filter itself...is there any other benefit to using it? Seems like it would make things even more restrictive?
Rain ingestion is actually a problem for the MAF sensor with a stock airbox and spoiler, not just with the aftermarket parts. For MY02 Porsche had Bosch redesign the airduct inside the HFM5 MAF. With the new design water/oil/etc. has to deflect off a wall before it can reach the sensor element and contaminate it. This changed the airflow-voltage output characteristic curve of the sensor and is one of the differences between an OEM aftermarket MAF and an OE MAF that you can buy at a dealer.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:24 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Initial observations :
1] Way better sound. When I bought the car it had bone stock intake and exhaust. 2 months ago I installed Fabspeeds. Added some sound, but too exhaust dominant for me (exhaust note was dominating the engine). Right now, with the air charger installed, the exhaust is dominant at lower rpm, but the engine sound takes over at higher rpm. Really beautiful, raspy note (more of a pre 996 flat six sound).
2] The car is less jerky. Seems to run way smoother.

Just my personal opinion. Obviously no hard facts to prove my statements.
Certainly worth the 300$ though
Old 07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Congrats Yves!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW...!

I'm REALLY impressed with K&N's marketing folks, referring to a less than useless and absolutely PASSIVE device as an Air Charger. Who cares if it's totally miss-leading advertising provided it is effective.

The key to success in any marketplace is to find a need and fill that need.

So I'm off today to design a sound synthesizer synchronized to engine RPM and throttle opening (engine LOAD) for a "deep-pockets" marketplace that is seeming willing to shorten engine life for SOUNDS.

Quick Reply: Just installed my K&N Aircharger (pics)