Sponsored by:

slow air leak = valve stem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 05:36 PM
kem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow air leak = valve stem?

My passenger rear tire is leaking air, somewhat slowly. I lost about 8-10psi on a 45mile drive. Given the symptoms that its not getting worse, you guys think this could just be a bad valve stem? Or are these things impossible to tell until I goto the tire shop?

If the tire does have a small puncture should I just have them repair it? Tires are only 1-2 months old.

don't know much about tire repair, so any insight would be nice. thanks!
Old 07-01-2006, 05:52 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the wheel off to look for nail etc. spray some soapy water around the valve stem to detect leak.

whether to replace tire or not dep on you. if you track the car or do high speeds, you don't want any excuse for tire to fail that will put you into a wall. if it's street driven, you may decide to patch it.

do you have any dent in the wheel? inside of wheel is common for dents to occur when hitting a pothole.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kem
My passenger rear tire is leaking air, somewhat slowly. I lost about 8-10psi on a 45mile drive. Given the symptoms that its not getting worse, you guys think this could just be a bad valve stem? Or are these things impossible to tell until I goto the tire shop?

If the tire does have a small puncture should I just have them repair it? Tires are only 1-2 months old.

don't know much about tire repair, so any insight would be nice. thanks!
thanks for letting me checkout your exhaust today

as for the tire... well, it could be one of three things:

1) nail in the sidewall
2) nail in the road-contacting part of the tire
3) problems with the valve stem

if its 1), you have to get a new tire. if its 2), in 90% of the time you can get it fixed. if its 3), i am not sure on what success rate of fixing that is.

take it to a tire shop so they can see where the leak is coming from (they have water tubs where they put the tire in to see where its leaking from)
Old 07-01-2006, 10:32 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll pose a 4th (but unlikely) option. You could have a hole in the wheel. It actually happened to me once on a wheel that had been repaired. The leak didn't occur until several months after the repair, but occurred in a section of the wheel that was heat treated.

Quick Reply: slow air leak = valve stem?