996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What gives the 40th Anniv more HP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:50 PM
jchamlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gives the 40th Anniv more HP?

I know the 40th anniversary model has the C4S front bumper and has a set of side skirts. What other options are on this model? I know it has 345 HP, as opposed to 320 for the 3.6 - so what gives it the extra 25 ponies? Intake, chipped, exhaust??? Also, are the skirts on the 40th MKII? Will those fit on a '99? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

X51 package.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The mkII skirts will fit but IMHO will not look right. The leading edge is different.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front end makes the car--side skirts im not really into dont like the twist and dont think its fits the flow-as for power its over 4k that it shows-thing just pulls to redline.
The X51 package consists of higher flow heads, higher lift and duration cams, more aggressive fuel and ignition mapping, and revised intake and exhaust.
Then add on the PSE and its pretty loud
Mike
Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X51 is a different intake manifold, flow-optimized heads (CNC ported or extrude honed), different intake camshafts, re-indexing exhaust camshafts, different exhaust manifolds (tubular headers), a 3rd center radiator and re-calibrated ECU. The X51 is only for the 02'+ 3.6l, not the earlier 3.4l.

The 40th An Jahre Edition also came with GT Silver exterior paint (unique to this model in 2004), natural gray leather interior, sports seats (there was a power comfort seat option), heated seats, litronic bi-xenon headlights, Bose stereo (navigation and 6-disc changer were options), M030 sports suspension and polished 5-spoke alloys (unique to this model). It basically came with all the most popular options standard. Abotu the only things you could not get on them were automatics (why would you want one?) or power lumbar for the seats. Base price was around $90K with a fully option car (nav, power comfort seats, rear wiper, changer) at around $96K.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
jchamlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I just recently purchased a pre-facelift 996 (my first P-car). I think a coke habit would probably be cheaper...haha. There are so many mods that I would like to do. I LOVE the look of the 40th. So I was considering putting on the MKII skirts and adding the turbo/C4S front bumper. The front bumper OEM would not fit, but Mashaw has an aftermarket that will fit the '99-01 models. Should I be wary of aftermarket bumpers? Ans what do you mean "the leading edge is different"?

In terms of performance, what mods are considered to really make a difference? Intake, headers, chip?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The TT front would not look good on that pre-facelift 996 and the quality of the aftermarket stuff is suspect. Stick to the MkI aero front. The MkI aerokit is one of the nicest kits PAG has ever put out.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with LVDell. You should keep the parts correct for your version. It will also help your resale. For example, aftermarket GT2 front ends that use MKI/Boxster headlights just don't look right. You should look at the MKI aero kit: front bumper, side skirts and adjustable rear spoiler. There are some add-on front spoilers that mimick the aerokit bumper that look pretty good and accurate to the MKI aerokit. MKI side skirts are more rounded compare to the more square angles of the MKII aerokit.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
M030 sports suspension
According to Joel Reiser, the PCA 996 guru, the 40th's suspension is not exactly the same as the M030......

I copied the following text from the PCA tech q&a site. The web address is http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={50EA9C95-8199-4AB3-8DA3-4DCAB3AE76AA}

Question:
I have read here where the "sport suspension" on the 40th Anniversary car is coded M095 versus the M030. I also know that there is a USA and ROW version of the M030 and have read the review of the shock and spring characteristics of each. What I would like to know is whether the suspension modification of the 40 year car is the effectively the same as the USA, ROW or some other suspension specification. Is the 40 year car ride height the same as USA M030, ROW M030 or something else? The car is advertized as being 10 mm lower than standard. Is that 10 mm lower in front and back? Just back? At the end of the day, would an ROW M030 conversion be an improvement in handling over what I have now?

Many thanks

Answer:

There was no change to the front springs & shocks according to the Porsche parts diagrams for M030. The rear only had a different spring & shock specific to the M095 cars.

I believe the M095 40th Anniversary cars were lowered 10mm from standard at both ends. Normally the ROW car is 10mm lower than US ride height up front, but the same ride height as US in the rear. The M095 would be 10mm lower in the rear as well, making it unique, however as yet this is not documented in the factory workshop manuals. The ROW M030 was 10mm lower than standard in the rear, but 20mm lower than standard up front. M030 US cars had the same ride height as standard US cars.

The only way to know for sure on the ride height is to measure it. I would take it to whoever would be doing your lowering if you chose to go that route, and have them check it for you.

I am guessing the ROW M030 suspension would probably provide 10mm more lowering up front, and a slightly firmer ride all the way around. Still not firm, just a bit less soft.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 11/17/2004

Quick Reply: What gives the 40th Anniv more HP?