Sponsored by:

How embarrasing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How embarrasing!

My car is at the dealer for some warranty items and they arranged for a rental car for me. It is a Pontiac Grand Prix. What a POS!
Soft and unresponsive, terrible seats with no support, a/c whistles, chintzy interior and exterior gimmicks, etc,etc. I am embarrased to drive this thing! It has been a long time since I have driven a GM car, but I will certainly never buy one. It is disappointing that they have not improved at all. No wonder they continue to lose market share.
On a happier note, I drove the 997S while I was there and was very impressed with the firmness and responsiveness of the car. I am thinking about trading up
Only negatives I felt were no satellite radio option, and no auxillary input jack. Carrera Sport wheel XRR is beautiful!
Cheers.
Paul.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I totally understand where you come from. GM vehicles are just getting worse. Has anyone seen the Chevy HHR? That is probably the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen. When I see it I realize how the engineers designed it in SolidWorks. Take a box, chamfer one edge, round another edge ... and so on

Also, why do rental car companies carry so many GM / Ford cars?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:47 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I would suggest a disguise, just in case you're spotted by anyone you know.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Because the major rental companies are owned by Ford & GM!!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
club411
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You just know you are going to pull up next to your ex-girlfriend in it!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discoganya

Chevy and GM always make claims of being some of the most sold vehicles. Most of the sales are to Police, Fbi and other gov't agencies , rental cars or Hollywood movie cars that are trashed.
But ya, I think they also own the rental car companies. They sell it to themselfs and count the unit as a sale.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by club411
You just know you are going to pull up next to your ex-girlfriend in it!
dont tell me you bought a porsche to stick it to your ex-girlfriend. porsche engineers must be cursing you right now

i actually enjoy situations like these. i get perverse pleasure out of selling myself short - in general i hate bragging. when people ask me what i do, i come up with some lame job (ex: i work in the warehouse, i stack boxes on top of each other). and the way i dress (except for friday/saturday nights) you'd never think i am worth more than $10,000 -- its alsmost funny to find ways to out-humble myself.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by gofor28off
My car is at the dealer for some warranty items and they arranged for a rental car for me. It is a Pontiac Grand Prix.
reality check. there are people who buy these cars new and for them its the best thing ever. we are all fortunate to know and enjoy finer things in life. not sure what i did in my previous life to deserve this, but it sure is worth it now
Old 06-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I like to refer to them as WDV, wretched domestic vehicles.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:59 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gofor28off
Because the major rental companies are owned by Ford & GM!!

Well not anymore. Hertz was owned by Ford until January of this year and GM and Chrysler sold their intrests in rental car companies some time ago. Fact is Rental car companies, fleet sales in general, get a great deal from the US automakers. Vulture is right in that all of these claims to be number one sold vehicle, F150 excluded, are due to huge fleet sales. I do not think to many individuals bought the Ford Taurus. This is also why the resale on these cars are crap. The used car market is flooded with a lot of cars that nobody wants unless they almost give them away. I saw a commercial for Chevy...72 months 0% financing and $1,000 cash back on most vehicles, unbelievable.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell I had a brand new Camry rental car a few weeks ago that was a danged rattle trap. Poor fit and finish. The drivers door had so much winde noise it sounded like a barn door flopping around in a tornado. Bad FWD, no steering, no power, horrible brakes, and this is the car everyone gushes over? Count me unimpressed. People might say "well it was a rental" well it had less than 200 miles on it. I wouldn't drive one of those if I could help it. It did get rather good gas mileage though.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I had my SSK installed, Brandywine Porsche arranged a loaner through Enterprise. When the agent pulled in with a silver-blue Kia Sedona minivan , the apologies began to flow from the dealership - they were pretty embarrassed. What a total POS the Kia is - ouch. Anyway, I just laughed it off, because I knew that I'd have my C4S back that afternoon!!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:39 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Try driving around in a Hyundai for two weeks while the dealer dicks with your car. I left the Hyundai at home and opted to drive my commuter smerf-mobile, a Honda Civic to work so nobody would see me in the Korean piece of crap.

Oh well, I am only being a jerk. Porsche is the only dealership that I ever get a loaner from anyway...so how can one really bitch?

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 06-28-2006, 09:50 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

And jkb,

I'm with you....I dress so poorly, almost never shave, look like a hippie from the sixties which I am, could easily have a second job standing on a street corner with a sign, "Will Work for Food.

Most people look at me like I am trying to steal the car I am driving. I have even been asked if I knew where the owner of the car was when refueling it!!!

Ain't life grand!

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I had to drive a Dodge Durango for 2 weeks in 2001 while my C4 was in the shop, really was a sobering experience.

Quick Reply: How embarrasing!