996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How embarrasing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Kirk (the DC one)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Pontiac Grand Prix weighs about 15,000 pounds and can't take a corner over 30 degrees. Sometimes taking a beater to work as a loaner from the dealer is the only option
Old 06-28-2006, 11:09 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dirtrack49
Most people look at me like I am trying to steal the car I am driving. I have even been asked if I knew where the owner of the car was when refueling it!!!

Ain't life grand!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate american cars just as much as the next person, but i'm not embarrased when I drive my Ram truck?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:33 PM
gofor28off
Racer

reality check. there are people who buy these cars new and for them its the best thing ever. we are all fortunate to know and enjoy finer things in life.
Agree and understand your point. Please understand it was not my intent to state the obvious, which is that a Pontiac does not compare to a Porsche; two very different price points. My point was that I am very surprised at how pathetic this car is within its own class. The fit quality is poor, attention to detail is non-existent, etc. I guess where I was coming from is that I had read in automotive reviews that GM has made significant improvements to their product quality but I just don't see it. The Grand Prix is in the same price category as a Honda Accord, so it is possible to design and construct a quality product at that price, GM just seems unable (or unwilling to do so).
I wonder if the GM executives ever drive these cars, or if they are all driving European cars??
Old 06-28-2006, 11:34 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil G.
When I had my SSK installed, Brandywine Porsche arranged a loaner through Enterprise. When the agent pulled in with a silver-blue Kia Sedona minivan , the apologies began to flow from the dealership - they were pretty embarrassed. What a total POS the Kia is - ouch. Anyway, I just laughed it off, because I knew that I'd have my C4S back that afternoon!!
Let's see, my loaner for tires was a Cayenne S, and for the 15K service a Boxster.................
Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gofor28off
Agree and understand your point. Please understand it was not my intent to state the obvious, which is that a Pontiac does not compare to a Porsche; two very different price points. My point was that I am very surprised at how pathetic this car is within its own class. The fit quality is poor, attention to detail is non-existent, etc. I guess where I was coming from is that I had read in automotive reviews that GM has made significant improvements to their product quality but I just don't see it. The Grand Prix is in the same price category as a Honda Accord, so it is possible to design and construct a quality product at that price, GM just seems unable (or unwilling to do so).
I wonder if the GM executives ever drive these cars, or if they are all driving European cars??
GM owns Saab... And Cadillac.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phil G.
When I had my SSK installed, Brandywine Porsche arranged a loaner through Enterprise. When the agent pulled in with a silver-blue Kia Sedona minivan , the apologies began to flow from the dealership - they were pretty embarrassed. What a total POS the Kia is - ouch. Anyway, I just laughed it off, because I knew that I'd have my C4S back that afternoon!!
Hey - we're renting one of those right now while we're in Maryland. Although I would not catagorize it as "stylish", it is certainly "functional", and the power is pretty good. The Porsche certainly couldn't haul the wife, three kids, and 5 suitcases, a stroller, travel crib, ......

It could have been a, what was that a few years back? Pontiac Transsport?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:28 AM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya
Has anyone seen the Chevy HHR? That is probably the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen.
I had an HHR from Hertz in Columbia, SC last month. It is just wierd. On one hand it is almost decently screwed together. On the other hand it has a totally anemic engine with no power. Perhaps the strangest thing is that the engine does not sound like an internal combustion engine. It has sounds like the Singer sewing machine my mom had 40 years ago. When I drive a "truck" I kind of expect it to sound like a truck.

And because all the windows are small with rounded corners, the visibility is limited. The gauges are small chronometer-like dials, with a tach so small as to be pointless, that look like they belong in a sporty sedan, not a truck. All in all, it is an unexplainable combination of details and strangeness that I would never buy.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, Grand Prix is one of the better rental cars. At least it doesn't start to get loose at 75 mph.

I also had a DTS as a rental. Total bling but car couldn't corner better than a 20 yo Buick. Totally squeal in any turn over 20 mph.

There are decent American cars out there as rental cars. I'd never buy one though. American automakers only excel in two things: cheap prices and large SUVs.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtrack49
And jkb,

I'm with you....I dress so poorly, almost never shave, look like a hippie from the sixties which I am, could easily have a second job standing on a street corner with a sign, "Will Work for Food.

Most people look at me like I am trying to steal the car I am driving. I have even been asked if I knew where the owner of the car was when refueling it!!!

Ain't life grand!

Tom L
2002 C2
Tom - that last line had me rolling! That's a classic!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more dissapointing part was that Porsche would let this happen...

I could see this from an airport or something...

-Keith
Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kirk (the DC one)
That Pontiac Grand Prix weighs about 15,000 pounds and can't take a corner over 30 degrees. Sometimes taking a beater to work as a loaner from the dealer is the only option
my daily driver is a suburban
Old 06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
my daily driver is a suburban
Do you have a tanker truck follow you around?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:07 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

no, but i have a 42 gallon fuel tank that takes me 500 miles between fillups. this creates the illusion of having a 14 gallon tank in a camry that goes 500 miles
Old 06-29-2006, 11:14 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for my work vehicle, i drive a suburban loaded with equipment (and a V1 and Lidatek laser jammer!). its interesting to notice that some gas pumps used to shut off at $50 - which sometimes wasn't enough to fill it up. now i've found that they shut off at $75!!

Quick Reply: How embarrasing!