Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:52 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmon cardon drive+play iPod kit on MY2003+

i am taking about this kit:
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/

setup with wired FM transmitter. curious if it works at all and if so - how well? might do this since getting iPod for MOST is nothing but empty promises.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

looks pretty good, although ugly on your dash...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
looks pretty good, although ugly on your dash...
i am sure the display can be mounted where CD storage is, keeping it low (with the control sitting inside the ashtray.

my question is, has anybody done it and how well does it work.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at circuit city last week getting an integration IPOD module installed on my Denali. I was talking about the HK with the techs they Highly recommend the unit. The wired FM modulator takes over the FM signals when you have the IPOD on. They had a demo unit in the show room. It is very similar to the IPOD interface. the screen was smaller then I was anticipating from pictures I had looked at on the web. Which is nice. It could fit in the glove box or the center console no problem. There is also a remote that is also wired. the remote has a spinning **** with a center button. Very easy to navigate.

The other option you have is to get a wired modulator ebay: "Wired FM Modulator" you will also need the RCA to headphone cable. This would eliminate the need for the HK screen and remote. All of the controls would be on your IPOD. Unless you would like a larger screen and remote then the HK unit is for you. It does work on MOST cars since it taps into any car with an antenna cable. BTW the sound quaility was very good. The wireless FM modulators are junk.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I really don't like the way the FM modulator sounds, it's just awful.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you speaking of wired or wireless. I am pretty picky about sounds too and the HK product sounded really good. Wireless is unbearable.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
Are you speaking of wired or wireless. I am pretty picky about sounds too and the HK product sounded really good.
I'll have to check it out. I know my Sirius radio uses FM Modulation and it's practically unlistenable.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Cayenne forum moderator (re: adult day care provider) has had a hardwired FM modulator installed (along with a DIY) for a while.

Works much better than FM wireless, but FM hardwired still suffers from reduced signal/noise ratio (or dynamic range if you prefer) due to the nature of FM tuners when compared to line level/analog AUX IN.

Some people claim to hear it, some don't.

Currently, there are no aftermarket iPod adapters for MOST....although DensionUSA has been promising an adapter "anyday now" since first showing it January 2005.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:43 PM
SoCalC4Cab
Track Day

Default Wired FM Modulator Sound Quality

I have a wired FM modulator installed in my 2003 C4 Cab. Although not an audiophile, I do like quality sound, and I like my music pretty loud. The iPod playback through the wired FM modulator is equivalent to the sound quality of a strong FM station. I have a cassette adapter in my Tahoe, which sounds slightly better, but neither is CD quality. On balance, I'm pleased with the wired FM modulator sound quality, which will have to do until someone can decode the MOST issues. I'm not holding my breath.

Quick Reply: Harmon cardon drive+play iPod kit on MY2003+