Sponsored by:

Very wierd problem pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:36 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very wierd problem pumping gas

Very first time i tried to fill up the car i think i was at shell and had some weird problem at the pump. i was in hurry so i went to work and on the way back went to exxon next to my house and all worked fine.

Last night i was at different shell trying to pump gas and i tried three different pumps and nothing.

Went down the street to 76 and all worked fine.

So this is probably the most weird post you have read, but i'd like to make two notes:

1) I am not crazy
2) I really do know how to pump gas

anybody seen anything even remotely close to this problem? and why only shell?

thx...
Old 06-24-2006, 09:16 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the ambient temperature at the Shell station? Sometimes when it is too cold outside the nozzle doesn't function correctly. There is a scientific term for this but most people just refer to it as "shrinkage of the nozzle". It happens. (Note: I have never had this happen to me personally.)
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So it didn't work at all - or it worked a little but kept cutting out?

I've seen a problem on the 986 where the car just refuses to take gas - it takes a trickle then just shuts off the pump.

There is a one way flapper type valve at the junction of the filler neck and the tank. This is to allow gas in but not out. There are tubes in the tank behind the valve that can slip down preventing the flapper valve from opening all the way allowing only the filler neck to fill up as gas slowly seeps by the valve.

A faster rate gas station pump will auto shut off as it senses that the gas is backing up the filler neck.

Could be the same deal here?

Chris.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:26 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by programmatore
What was the ambient temperature at the Shell station? Sometimes when it is too cold outside the nozzle doesn't function correctly. There is a scientific term for this but most people just refer to it as "shrinkage of the nozzle". It happens. (Note: I have never had this happen to me personally.)
nah it was 80 degrees out
Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by cdodkin
So it didn't work at all - or it worked a little but kept cutting out?
both. a couple of times it didnt work at all, and a couple of times it only would pump $0.07 worth and stop.

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I've seen a problem on the 986 where the car just refuses to take gas - it takes a trickle then just shuts off the pump.

There is a one way flapper type valve at the junction of the filler neck and the tank. This is to allow gas in but not out. There are tubes in the tank behind the valve that can slip down preventing the flapper valve from opening all the way allowing only the filler neck to fill up as gas slowly seeps by the valve.

A faster rate gas station pump will auto shut off as it senses that the gas is backing up the filler neck.

Could be the same deal here?

Chris.
it sounds like it could be the issue. how is it fixed?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:38 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the tank is near empty, this happens quite often. was this the case?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:02 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
if the tank is near empty, this happens quite often. was this the case?
hmmm... no, i had 28 miles left on the tank. i usually go to a gas station as soon as i get warning light.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:11 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Fix was to get the pipes fixed back into place, away from the valve.

Usually a dealer opperation on the Boxster - not sure on the 996

see HERE for the 986 FAQ

Anyone had this done on the 996?

Chris.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:45 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Just got this from the Auto Consumer Guide for the 996

Fuel gauge: Erroneous fuel-gauge readings and/or problems during refueling may be due to the rubber fuel line inside the tank interfering with the sending unit or filler neck flap. (1999)
So there has been an issue with the 996.

Worth mentioning to the dealer perhaps...

Chris.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 PM
LWBIG
1st Gear

my "02" 996 also would not allow gas. dealer had to replace the entire fill pipe system. There are some solenoid valves there that are a saftey issue if turned upside down in a crash (more government again). might be your problem also
Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 AM
jkb
Racer

wheh. so i am not the only one with this problem. good to know. for now i am avoiding Shell stations

thanks guys. you all rock!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 02:36 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I happens to me too sometimes, after a couple tries it's ok but other times it keeps cutting off.
This happens only on some pumps. Chris
Old 06-25-2006, 10:43 AM
rmillnj
Racer

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. It just kept backing up. Had the problem on and off for a couple of weeks. I read all the posts here about it but in the end but after talking to the gas station we figured out that it was just the them not sticking the nozzle in far enough. They had just changed pump nozzles and the gas was coming out faster. No need to go the dealer or anything, it was all a matter of not sticking the nozzle in far enough. I still get gas from the same place. My opinion is the problem was a combination of the gas station pump and the guy pumping it. Here in NJ, no self servce. If they do not stick the nozzle in all the way, it will back up. Every once in awhile I encounter the same problem at different stations. If I go and stick the nozzle in a bit further now, problem solved. When I pump my own gas, never a problem. Just make sure you stick that nozzle in far enough.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to get my filler tube replaced a long time ago for this problem.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:02 PM
BobK
Track Day

I had the same problem about a year ago. The problem was the valve in the filler tube. The car thought it was flipped over so it closed the valve for safety. They replaced either the valve or the roll-over sensor. Well at least thats what Porsche service said and now the car fills fine.

Quick Reply: Very wierd problem pumping gas