Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Traded my '96 993 Cab for a '02 996 (Sunroofs- to have or have not)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 03:50 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool Traded my '96 993 Cab for a '02 996 (Sunroofs- to have or have not)

Will be joining these threads soon. Ordered my 2002 996 today (January delivery).

Ordered the following options (did I leave anything out?)

-Guards red w/savanna beige leather
-18" Sport Wheel
-sport/M030 package
-advanced technic package
-rear window wiper
-spoke sport steering wheel - Standard equip
BOSE premium sound - included in technic package
-chrome exhaust tips
-delete rear window wiper
-delete sunroof
-colored wheelcaps
-PSM
-Advanced Design pack
-Self Dimming mirrors and rain sensor pack
-heated sport seats
-Sport seats rear painted to match exterior color (Guards Red)
-Seat Belts in Guards Red
-Center console painted ext. body color
Old 11-08-2001, 10:39 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what's in the Technic package but if it doesn't include the Litronic lights you will probably want to add them (unless they are now standard?).

I am partial to the aerokit (have it on my 99) but it's a personal choice kind of thing.

Karl
Old 11-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Xenon headlights are standard on all 996 cars for 2002. However, you can get the Bi-Xenon version as found on the Turbo by ordering the Advanced Technic package.

P04 - Advanced Technic Package: Headlight Washers, BOSE Sound System, Bi-Xenon Headlights & 6-CD Changer - $3240.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:54 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Pat,
I'm almost in the same situation as you except I'm more frugal and looking at heavily discounted new 2001 leftovers. Do you mind sharing what the dealer offered you for your '96 993 Cab as a trade-in? My possible trade-in is a '96 993 C2. How much below KBB trade-in value? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:00 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

Congrats - sounds like a beautiful car.

Aluminum/carbon shifter and hand brake is a nice touch (IMO), if its not standard on the MY '02, and you could consider aluminum dials (I dont have the colored dials on my car, but they look nice).

Also, you might consider power seats with memory. I did not, and regret it because I'm generous with allowing friends to test drive the car, then struggle to get my seat/back position to its "ideal" position.

A dealer installed, or after market, in dash radar detector is a good idea as well (k40 and passport both make indash detectors now, and a valentine can also be hardwired into the car).
Old 11-08-2001, 12:28 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

No I don't mind at all John-

-2002 Porsche 996 coupe, Base MSRP $67,900.00 + $765.00 destination charge
-Guards red w/savanna beige leather - no extra charge
-18" Sport Wheel $2,790.00
-sport/M030 package $690.00
-heated sport seats $1,170.00
-center console painted ext. body color $725.00
-advanced technic package $3,240.00
-colored crest wheel caps $175.00
-rear window wiper $340.00
-3-spoke sport steering wheel - Standard equip
BOSE premium sound - included in technic package
-chrome exhaust tips - awaiting prining available yet

Total at $77,795.00

I got this deal from Brian Buxton which I think is fair considering that Sunset Motors here in Portland offered the similar deal an lots of negatives like:

-Would not really give me the time of day when I walked in- I had to practically beg to see a salesperson (probably becuase I was not buying and Audi). They really did not seem interested in accomodating me as a Porsche customer.

-If they would not let me drive a 2002 Porsche then it made no sense for me to do business with them. I can buy it anywhere. For that matter, why even waste time going to a show room to see the car.

-Delivery- 6-10 months if I did not buy one they already had coming in or on their showroom floor, which was only ONE (1) Black Cabriolet. When I finally got a salesperson to respond to me I guess he was not listening because I clearly said I don't like the cleaining maintenance on black cars and I certainly did not want another Cabriolet.

Brian Buxton has been very good to me and persisant in getting me what I want. For $80,000 worth of car (especially in today's economy) you would think Porsche dealers would at least have coffee donuts and a free magic show in the showroom (like salepeople that actually want to consult to your needs and offer a high priced performance automobile).

Don't get me wrong, I am not bich'n either but, something is wrong when you get treated like a second class citizen when you walk into a Porsche dealer. This is especially true when you drive up in a fairly recent model Porsche and all the Audi customers who drove up in Totota Camry's are treated as if they are going to purchase the $80,000 car and you are going to purchase a $1 hunk of junk.

SAD, SAD state of affairs in the Porsche dealer showrooms these days. Very Sad.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:28 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Wow, I guess they make more money slamming customers into Audi's they cannot afford with ridiculous lease payments. They probably figure there are too many exotic used car dealerhips that can do the same with the high end Porsche's for them to make any money doing it from a new car dealership.
In any case, congrats on the new purchase but when are you comin back to 928's?

K
Old 11-08-2001, 09:44 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Kaz the 928 will always be my passion and I am continually trading up on 911's to keep my resale value on the car high when Porsche releases that 2004 928- I will be ready!

I am planning the possible purchase of a 928GT very soon if I can find a decent one for a fair price.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:38 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I'm not completely familiar with the options for the 02 cars - but I assume this is a C2, and PSM has not been standard equipment on the C2. If this is still true, I highly recommend this option. By chrome exhaust tips, I assume you mean the stainless steel tips? IMHO they look much better than the standard tips. Did you consider the sport exhaust (which may be a dealer installed option only )? Finally, do you think the rear wiper is worthwhile? I have one on my turbo (std equipment) but have no use for it.
Don't mean to sound nit picky - I believe your car is very well optioned, and will look great. Painted consol is a very attractive touch, by my taste.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:57 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I was just thinking that I may not want that rear wiper afterall. You are right about the PSM option. I will make that change tomorrow while I can although I beleive it was called into PCNA today. Yes your are correct the Chrome tips are the Stainless Steel tips.

Thanks for the PSM advice. Thats was really a good one.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:05 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by PRDATR:
<STRONG>I got this deal from Brian Buxton which I think is fair considering that Sunset Motors here in Portland offered the similar deal an lots of negatives like:

-Would not really give me the time of day when I walked in- I had to practically beg to see a salesperson (probably becuase I was not buying and Audi). They really did not seem interested in accomodating me as a Porsche customer.

-If they would not let me drive a 2002 Porsche then it made no sense for me to do business with them. I can buy it anywhere. For that matter, why even waste time going to a show room to see the car.

-Delivery- 6-10 months if I did not buy one they already had coming in or on their showroom floor, which was only ONE (1) Black Cabriolet. When I finally got a salesperson to respond to me I guess he was not listening because I clearly said I don't like the cleaining maintenance on black cars and I certainly did not want another Cabriolet.

Brian Buxton has been very good to me and persisant in getting me what I want. For $80,000 worth of car (especially in today's economy) you would think Porsche dealers would at least have coffee donuts and a free magic show in the showroom (like salepeople that actually want to consult to your needs and offer a high priced performance automobile).

Don't get me wrong, I am not bich'n either but, something is wrong when you get treated like a second class citizen when you walk into a Porsche dealer. This is especially true when you drive up in a fairly recent model Porsche and all the Audi customers who drove up in Totota Camry's are treated as if they are going to purchase the $80,000 car and you are going to purchase a $1 hunk of junk.

SAD, SAD state of affairs in the Porsche dealer showrooms these days. Very Sad.</STRONG>
Very interesting ... I had the exact same experience with Sunset. I went to see them about buying a NEW 996 cab or 996 cab 4. I visited a couple of times in my '99 355 F1 GTS and had the same treatment that you did - complete disinterest. I don't expect movie star treatment when I visit a car dealer but I do expect to be treated courteously and with interest when I come looking for a $80-$100k car. They didn't get my business and someone else did. Enough said.

In the end I decided that I would NEVER buy a car from these people which has been reinforced by their service attitude to my current 996 cab that needed to be 'reset' after receiving engine & tip mod's by RennSport here in Portland. They completely jerked us around on this score too.

Brian Buxton has a good reputation over on the Ferrari boards ... I'm sure you'll get the level of service that you're looking for.

As regards Sunset ... I would never recommend that anyone go there to purchase a Porsche. Personally, I'd rather drive to Seattle or Bend to work with a dealer that could be bothered to serve the customer.

I'm not bitter, just very, very disappointed. You'd think that the local Ferrari dealer (Tonkin Gran Tourismo) would be the one's with an attitude but actually I've always found them to be extremely accomodating. Sunset were just rude and discourteous.

Graham
Old 11-09-2001, 12:16 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

OH GRAHAM, DUDE you are SO RIGHT! Sunset is the pits. I visited AFN Chiswick Porsche in London several months ago and that was a great Porsche dealership. Very accomodating and although I was not there to buy a car (only needed to purchase parts) it as though seemed they would have helped me "take over the world" if I had only asked! Now thats service with a smile.

The guys over at Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo are the absolute best here in Portland. HANDS DOWN!!! Greg and Matt- " You say you wanna drive this Ferrari? Sure we can move around the show room floor for ya NOT A PROBLEM! Have some coffee and check out our collection of cars out back while we move things around a bit." I don't mind paying those guys a premium price over there. They have been good to me for as far back as I can remember. They tossed me the keys to my 993 Cabriolet to drive around for a few hours and sold it to me later that afternoon.

Look, I am not a snob or unreasonable azz-hole. I am just a ordinary guy that can afford to drive something that costs a bit more than a Saturn. However, there is absolutely no reson why I should be made to feel as though I should only expect used Chevrolet Impala $12,000 attention at my local Porsche dealer because I am not buying a $40,000 Audi. That really sux !
Old 11-09-2001, 12:24 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

OH I forgot to mention Brian Buxton...He's the man ! He can count on my business going forward for just about anything.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:19 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

OH forgot...No sunroof, thats an option too on the coupe $700.00 big coins!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:04 AM
yves
Intermediate

I just received my C4 cab yesterday, and i ordered the seast with the embossed Porsche logo.Looks very classy, can definetly recommend that as an option.
Also if you are using your telephone in the car often you could consider the navigationsystem which features a radio and telephone.looks very good as well, and in a lot of countries it is or will be shortly illegal to use your portable without handsfreekit.good luck.

PS the car is a dream to drive

Quick Reply: Traded my '96 993 Cab for a '02 996 (Sunroofs- to have or have not)