Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

anybody 6'2" or taller and got a 996 cab?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:12 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody 6'2" or taller and got a 996 cab?

ok, i can't be the only one with this problem.i am 6'2.5" and here is the problem. without the windscreen i fit just fine - the back is reclined further back. but with windscreen in place i just can't get comfortable. i feel like my forehead is sticking over the windshield. definately feel the wind in (whatever is left of) my hair.

so i guess my questions are:

1) are there any aftermarket mods which allow the sit to go down further by an inch or so? are there pins which limit seat movement i could remove?

2) are there aftermarket windscreens that would allow my seat to recline further back?

sure i can't be the only one with this problem
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what you're dealing with.
I'm 6'-5", and I would love an extra inch of seatback movement before it reaches the windstop.

Two things that I have found that help comfort significantly:

1. Power seats. Power seats sit closer to the floor than manual seats (which I had in my Boxster).
2. GT3 Console Delete. Allows your right knee more lateral movement, improving legroom.

As for the windstop, I don't know of anything to do there. I sometimes allow the seatback to compress the windstop a bit, but with my car being 7 years old, there is a small crack showing on the seatback leather where it intersects the windstop.

As for the head over the windshield: I had this problem in my Boxster (severe), but not in the Cab. Some of this is due to the power seats, some to the additional seatback rake. My shins are actually about 1.5" further from the dashboard in the Cab than the Boxster. I attribute this to the lower seatbottom of the full power seats. I feel as if I sit down in the Cab much more so than was possible in the Boxster.
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you must have an extremely long torso. Have you tried to drop the back of the seat down and the front of the seat upward. Sort of like a recliner chair.

Originally Posted by jkb
ok, i can't be the only one with this problem.i am 6'2.5" and here is the problem. without the windscreen i fit just fine - the back is reclined further back. but with windscreen in place i just can't get comfortable. i feel like my forehead is sticking over the windshield. definately feel the wind in (whatever is left of) my hair.

so i guess my questions are:

1) are there any aftermarket mods which allow the sit to go down further by an inch or so? are there pins which limit seat movement i could remove?

2) are there aftermarket windscreens that would allow my seat to recline further back?

sure i can't be the only one with this problem
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Your picture represents how I look too..

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
I know exactly what you're dealing with.
I'm 6'-5", and I would love an extra inch of seatback movement before it reaches the windstop.

Two things that I have found that help comfort significantly:

1. Power seats. Power seats sit closer to the floor than manual seats (which I had in my Boxster).
2. GT3 Console Delete. Allows your right knee more lateral movement, improving legroom.

As for the windstop, I don't know of anything to do there. I sometimes allow the seatback to compress the windstop a bit, but with my car being 7 years old, there is a small crack showing on the seatback leather where it intersects the windstop.

As for the head over the windshield: I had this problem in my Boxster (severe), but not in the Cab. Some of this is due to the power seats, some to the additional seatback rake. My shins are actually about 1.5" further from the dashboard in the Cab than the Boxster. I attribute this to the lower seatbottom of the full power seats. I feel as if I sit down in the Cab much more so than was possible in the Boxster.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Hey dc,
I have actually tried the "recliner" positioning.
My normal position is seat bottom full down front and back. But my legs are so long, that when I raise the front, it doesn't really change the position of my legs, just sort-of rearranges the muscle tissue. However, It can be helpful to do this when driving long distances, and I change the seatback angle occasionally also to help reduce fatique.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Melchior
Pro

Let me know if you want to sell your Wind Deflector, I've been looking for one for my Cab. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

SOLUTION: LOSE the windstop. Just keep wearing that hat.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nycebo
SOLUTION: LOSE the windstop. Just keep wearing that hat.
Yeh, definitely need the hat. The windstop only in the colder months.
I actually am not uncomfortable with the stop in place.

Definitely won't need it again for 3 or 4 months!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Oh well I tried.. You may have to just get rid of the deflector for the Summer as others have stated.

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
Hey dc,
I have actually tried the "recliner" positioning.
My normal position is seat bottom full down front and back. But my legs are so long, that when I raise the front, it doesn't really change the position of my legs, just sort-of rearranges the muscle tissue. However, It can be helpful to do this when driving long distances, and I change the seatback angle occasionally also to help reduce fatique.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:34 AM
woody-77
Racer

I'm 6'2" and have the same problem. I just don't use the windstop.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woody-77
I'm 6'2" and have the same problem. I just don't use the windstop.
Same with me - I'm 6'2" and the only time I use the windstop is on the rare occasion that my wife rides next to me (we have a 2 year old and a 3 month old, so she's not in the car much). Then I just drive with the seat in a more forward setting. When she's not in the car, I don't use the windstop.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

SOLUTION #2: Buy a Coupe!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
SOLUTION #2: Buy a Coupe!
Never!!!

Quick Reply: anybody 6'2" or taller and got a 996 cab?