996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

19" Wheels - Necessary? SpeedLine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 03:20 PM
996 MGF
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 19" Wheels - Necessary? SpeedLine?

On the subject of wheels again - is there any bang-for-the-buck in buying 19" aftermarket wheels instead of 18"? What are people's thoughts on SpeedLines? Kinesis Supercup rims are almost identical wheel to Speedline at $800 vs. $1300 and I can't see where the extra money goes? Comments appreciated.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:28 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mark: Sorry no one in the know responded to your question. Will you settle for someone who doesn't know much? (I'm still wondering why Fikses cost so much more than Kinesis).

Years ago when I was considering new wheels, I thought the Kinesis Supercups were only partially forged (outer rim halves only or something). That might help account for the price difference, as casting is cheaper and might add a couple pounds of weight per wheel. At that time the Supercups were hundreds of dollars per set cheaper than the fully forged Kinesis styles. But more recently I went to Wheel Enhancement's site and thought I saw that both the center and the outer halves of the Supercups were forged. I don't know which Speedlines you're considering, but highly polished wheels add a little to the cost. Only the outer rims of the Supercups are highly polished, the rest is painted. Another factor in cost is supply and demand (popularity). Perhaps the demand for the Supercups has peaked and started downward, as that was a style that might have peaked in the 90s. Alternatively, Speedlines may have become the hot set up. Someone at Speedline will probably be able to cite many reasons why they're so much better (and expensive).

Well, I said I didn't know much, but admitting that usually leads someone in the know to respond to straighten me out. Maybe we'll catch one of those soon.

Quick Reply: 19" Wheels - Necessary? SpeedLine?