Sponsored by:

996 Cab Initial Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 02:19 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 996 Cab Initial Driving Impressions

I bought my 99 996 cab a fews weeks ago with 9900 miles, 18 inch wheels, 6 speed, factory aero. It just arrived yesterday (on Saturday).

Intial driving impressions...
VERY, VERY FAST. It looks like redline is around 7,000 RPM? I run it there often on acceleration.

The stock non factory suspension is good, but a little FLOATY?? I almost thought the front end was too high, but maybe it is just me getting used to the protruding front bumpers. Even with the 18 inch sport classic II wheels and factory aero, there appears to be a pretty large gap (especially front) between the fenders and wheels.

WAY TOO QUIET. The factory exhaust sucks. I have to rev it to the moon to get any sports car sound out of it even with the top down. It is too subdued. Good thing I have the Porsche Sport Exhaust sitting in my living room ready to go on.

6 SPEED SHIFTER SUCKS. Throws are way too long and sloppy. I missed shifted twice today. I have a B&M ready to go on as well.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:30 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

So Ed, I guess we know what your first 3 mods will be!

Oh, and BTW, where are the pics??
Old 04-07-2003, 03:05 AM
ZeeZee
Instructor

Edward - I too have recently bought a 99 996 - I have differing impressions from yours, wondering if it's perception, or if my car has some real differences? First off, it doesn't actually feel very fast to me. I know it should be (as it seems to hit 42mph in 1st gear in at around 6500), but I don't feel much of a push in my back and I'm wondering if I'm losing power somewhere. Have you timed it to 60 yet? What's the overall impression you have gear-by-gear?

Also, the front-end feels extremely tight and not floaty at all to me. I've been pushing the crap out of it, and it feels rock solid. What car did you come from? I should see if I have the ROW 030 suspension on this thing...

But I totally agree on the exhaust. Love it above 4k rpm, but too much like a blender at lower velocity.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

I will post more Pics when I finish the mods. I already have the clear side markers in. I was amazed that they took two minutes to put on. I have aluminum pedals very similar to the RUF ready to go on as well.

I think the speed is perception. My car is dead fast, but you have to look at the speedometer sometimes to know. The car can be so composed and quiet.. you don't realize how fast you are going. The power delivery I feel is ultra smooth, so I do not feel a rush or a jerk to my back the way I feel in a much slower turbo Saab, etc.

Floaty may not be the word for the suspension. I am pretty sure, however, that I want the ROW M030 on the car. I hate body roll, dive, etc. I have little tolerance for it in a sports car. Heck, even my BMW 528i has H&R and Bilstein to combat this.

The E39 BMW528i and Saab 9-3 Turbo Cab are my two previous cars. The BMW stays as my daily driver. The Saab goes.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Renato
Instructor

Congrats Edward! It redlines at 7300. I have a Cab also and I upgraded the exhaust after a Boxster pulled up next to me and was louder. Be very careful about which exhaust you choose because you've got a Cab. I've got a Cargraphic exhaust and I'm thinking it's too loud. Believe it or not, it's fine with the top down, but with the top up it's almost unbearable. (thank God it's not my daily driver!) So choose carefully and Enjoy your Cab!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:12 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Drop clutch at 4000 rpm if you'plan to drag but man what a wear/tear thing on the car. 1st gear has never been that great for p-cars cept better then previous models but 2nd gear is awesome once you reach redline at 1st. I like to take it out to Sear's Point for drag nites on Wednesday and get timeslips but no one wants to go with me. Regards. Mike
Old 04-07-2003, 01:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Edward if you need a good blend for street/track try the Row 030 suspension. Yeah- stock exhaust sucks below 4000 rpm and good choice in the PSE. I use to have Fabs and I liked them alot but after 25k miles it blew a hole so right now I put back my stock exhaust-thank god I track so I can hear it above 4k : ). Love my B&M shifter(best dollar spent)-very positive engagement. Regards. Mike
Old 04-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Bob H
Advanced

Bought my 99 996 cab in February, after 1000 miles I'm very impressed. My car is very fast. Every time I get on a freeway on ramp I hit a 100 mph in third before I merge on the freeway then a tap on the brakes and I merge at 70 mph. Its alot of fun to drive around town and I always have the top down. Love my fabspeeds

Quick Reply: 996 Cab Initial Driving Impressions