996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Getting Track Tires/Wheels to Track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Phil Rosenstein
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting Track Tires/Wheels to Track?

Hi everyone,

I bought my first Porsche last March and still love it. Especially after 12 days at the track for DE's last year. I can't wait to get back out there and am starting to plan it all out.

I'd like to get a set of wheels with track tires on them to use on the track. The catch is I don't want put them on at home and then drive (up to 200 miles) to the track. I also don't really want to go down the whole trailer road (a trailer, tow vehicle, etc...).

So, what's left? Can I possibly cram them all into my car somehow? Is there enough room? Does anyone have any advice??

Thanks,

Phil
Old 01-29-2003, 05:40 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a roof rack and put all your wheels on it.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:17 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

There are numerous track support companies. For example, in South Florida I use Foreign Affairs Motorsports. For $100.00 per event they store my track tires and wheels, transport them to the event, mount them, take care of my car, take them off and bring them back to their shop. I get to drive to the event in my 996, drive on the track all day or all weekend and drive home with no hassles. Look around the paddock at the next de and I'm sure you can find people in your area who offer the same service.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:19 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

There is a company that makes a mini trailer specifically for the 996 and Boxster. It's wide enough for 4 wheels and tires and has room for a tool box on it too. I have seen it many times at Road Atlanta. I suggest that you check the archives of Porsche Pete's Boxster Board and look for posts by Marco Polo (Mark Preston). he has a Ruf Boxster and has one. Do not put them on your roof. Max weight for your roof is less than 100lbs and 4 wheels ties is way more than that (wheels alone are around 22 lbs if they are Porsche 18')
JM
Old 01-30-2003, 02:51 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Jean-Marc's comments are excellent - I've seen many people use these trailers and they rock! Make sure you get a well-made one that can withstand 70+ MPH Interstate runs, not some cheap let's-go-to-home-depot weekender POS trailers.

Another idea is to get tires such as the Yokohama A032 "R" tires - lots of tread, DOT legal, and suitable to drive to/from the track. Not as sticky as Khumos or Toyos or Hoosiers, but will last much longer. I did this years ago with no problems when I tracked my E39. Suckers lasted forever too.

Best idea is to find a track buddy who lives close by to haul the wheels (and your jack, shelter, tools, cooler, beer, etc.) for you. Buy him dinner or beer or whatever for the trouble. I used to "share" a truck rental with a bud; he'd tow his car and haul my tires and wheels. For about $100 for the weekend I got my stuff taken care of and he saved on truck rental. He'd either keep my stuff between weekends or come by and pick them up. SlowMike's deal is similiar, but I've never heard of anything like that around here (Raleigh NC). No telling in NJ.

Michael
Old 01-30-2003, 03:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Phil,
I believe this might be what you want.
Came across it on pca.org, mart, trailers..
I have seen these at a few DE's
<a href="http://www.pca.org/mart/classifieds.pl?db=trailers&website=&language=&session_key=3e397ecd0ab80e f6&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=62&query=re trieval" target="_blank">http://www.pca.org/mart/classifieds.pl?db=trailers&website=&language=&session_key=3e397ecd0ab80e f6&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=62&query=re trieval</a>
Take care,
Old 01-30-2003, 03:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's a really nicely done one, from a fellow PCA member.
<a href="http://www.pca.org/hcp/de_trailer.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pca.org/hcp/de_trailer.htm</a>
(gotta love Google!)
Old 01-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

A buddy of mine sends his UPS/ fed ex to the track, and arranges for a call tag to get them back.
Perry
Old 01-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

A buddy of mine sends his UPS/ fed ex to the track, and arranges for a call tag to get them back.
Perry

Quick Reply: Getting Track Tires/Wheels to Track?