Sponsored by:

Beep Beep

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:09 PM
franklosasso
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beep Beep

I just changed from an X5 to a C4S as my daily driver. It's awesome, except that i miss the beeping when i locked and unlocked the X5... Is there an easy way to get the p-car to do the same?

Also, i have a couple of rattles/squeaks. One is annoying since it's in the middle of the dashboard and rattles when i press the accelerator. Do you guys go to the dealer with these things, or is it all part of owning a sports car with stiff springs.

The car is an '03.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Frank - Welcome to the Porsche Phunny Pharm! Normally, newbies post pics so we can see their new ride!

As far as I know, there is not a way to induce the horn to sound when locking the car. Well, actually there are ways to do it but they are not practical. You can leave the glove box or the top cover on the rear center console (arm rest) slightly ajar. When you lock the car, the horn will sound, indicating that something is not closed properly.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it possible to trick sensor that causes the horn to beep when the center console is ajar? Surely someone's come up with a mod.

I agree with Frank and miss the beep as well. The range of the Porshce key fob is terrible. In bright daylight, it's tough to tell if the lights blinked so it would be really nice to have an audible indicator.

Who's figured out how to trick the sensor?? Which wire do I need to snip? Which circuit do I need to jump? Somebody?? Anybody???
Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
jkb
Racer

doesn't RemoteTOP/SmartTOP from https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/ allow you to program you car to beep? i remember reading on their site that you can.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jkb
doesn't RemoteTOP/SmartTOP from https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/ allow you to program you car to beep? i remember reading on their site that you can.
I have both units installed on my Cab, and I have no recollection of that option.

A word of caution on leaving something intentionally open to trigger the warning horn .... doing so means you will never know if you REALLY left something open inadvertantly. Just a thought.

I, personally, have grown fond of not having that infernal beep that every other car in the parking lot emits upon locking. I do, however, enjoy the side marker flash mod, which makes the flashing light signal (that the car is locked) much easier to see as one walks away.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I have both units installed on my Cab, and I have no recollection of that option.

A word of caution on leaving something intentionally open to trigger the warning horn .... doing so means you will never know if you REALLY left something open inadvertantly. Just a thought.

I, personally, have grown fond of not having that infernal beep that every other car in the parking lot emits upon locking. I do, however, enjoy the side marker flash mod, which makes the flashing light signal (that the car is locked) much easier to see as one walks away.
i could be wrong. i read it in one of the articles reviewing their mods:

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/db/sm...rscheworld.jpg

"alarm horn 'chirping' can be programmed in"

i haven't pulled the trigger yet and purches the unites ourself, so i dont know for sure. the article of course could be wrong.

btw, how do you like smarttop/remotetop? was it hard to install yourself? i am about to order it - but a little confused about programming the things.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad about the NON-beep.....made the dealer change that on my X-5 right away!
Silence is golden...I just listen to the secure bolting of the locks (very loud in the X5) moderate in the Porsche.....
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jkb
i could be wrong. i read it in one of the articles reviewing their mods:

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/db/sm...rscheworld.jpg

"alarm horn 'chirping' can be programmed in"

btw, how do you like smarttop/remotetop? was it hard to install yourself? i am about to order it - but a little confused about programming the things.
That article is describing the Remote Top for the 997, as it states at the beginning. I am unfamiliar with it, since I have a 996. I do know that the 997 unit is considerably different, since that car already has a top operated by the key fob.

I love both the Smart Top and the Remote Top for my 996. The first gave the ability to raise and lower with one touch ( as opposed to hold the button), and to do so while moving. Both are great advantages in my view. Also nice to be able to raise the rear windows with the top down. It was an easy installation, once I figured out how to get the rear of the top unlatched and into the "maintenance" position. Five minutes after that. No programming that I recall.

The Remote Top, allowing top operation from the one button key fob (just hold down after locking or unlocking the car .... once the top begins to move, you may release the button), is also a great convenience. Raise the top while walking away from the car, and lower it while approaching. Really neat. Installation is not complex, but takes a little longer to get access to the plug and play position under the driver's seat. Then, there are programming choices regarding auto door locking, and a few other items.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Then, there are programming choices regarding auto door locking, and a few other items.
thanks kim.. how is programming done?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jkb
thanks kim.. how is programming done?
I'm not at home right now to review the instructions, but I recall that it is done by switching on the ignition, then pressing the key fob button a certain number of times while counting the flashes of the security light on the dash.

The options I recall are:
1. whether or not top operation continues after releasing key button
2. whether or not doors lock after ignition turned on (if you choose this, doors will auto unlock when ignition is switched off ... unlike factory program)
3.whether or not you wish the motion detector to be on while top is down.

Automatic feature is ability to operate windows as soon as car is unlocked (no need for key in ignition) and immediately after key is removed from ignition.

I need to say that I have no relationship with Wilhelmy, other than as a very satisfied customer.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Frank, There is another option....just press the key fob twice. You will get the audible reply. This does of course turn off the interior IR sensor as well.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I made a kit for the 993 cars few years ago (Still have one in my 993) and it worked well, high pitch beep just like the bimmers when lock and unlock the door. The beep syncronizes with the flashing of the parking light. (You can't just wire up a buzzer to the signal light as it will also beep when you turn on your flasher when you are driving) The demand were few I think I sold something like 10 kits each at $45, so I gave up on making the kits. Haven't looked at the wiring schematic of the 996 yet to make the same kit for the 996, but if there are enough demand I guess I could do the same.

The trouble of the kit is to route the remote wire to the front trunk area, as if you put the buzzer inside the car you can't really hear it, and engine bay is not a good idea either. So there is a lot of work just to run the wires to the buzzer.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:58 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Robin,
If you made a kit for the 996, I'd buy it. Consider this post to be your first order.

Last edited by LiveNupe; 06-18-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll buy a kit too.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:52 PM
jkb
Racer

yeah i probably would get one too since i am too used to the beep-beep from my bmw world.

Quick Reply: Beep Beep