Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 03:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Sloth:
<STRONG>
(Anybody ever see the C5's run in the GT production class against the GT3's and M3GTR's? I am pretty sure a team tried at Sebring.

</STRONG>
Team by the name of Trinkler Motorsports did. A friend of mine was one of their drivers at Sebring. They ran into some bad luck and didn't finish well. It would be great for the series and Porsche to have some competitors like the Vette in the GT class, but unless GM steps up, I doubt it will happen due to a lack of funding for the privateers.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:47 PM
Maxeemum
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike in CA. GO READ THE ARTICLE FIRST. THEN POST ON HERE.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts
Good posts by Mike and Eric! I couldn't agree more.

For those thinking Porsche is lagging behind the competition, I suggest a test drive in the '02 996 coupe.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:53 PM
Maxeemum
Banned

Guys, hello?..Is anyone Home?...

The Z06 beat the 996TT in EVERY CATEGORY!
And we are not just talking about numbers. We are talking about feel, and enjoyment to drive. Read the article for gods sake and stop thinking that the world is flat and that the earth is the center of the solar system.

If you don't see anything wrong with that then you guys are brain dead!
Old 09-06-2001, 04:01 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Maxeemum from wherever you are, read the post first then write your reply. Which bit of Mikes post are you finding difficult to understand? Was it the bit about NOT CARING THAT THE Z06 WAS FASTER?? No?? OK Perhaps the bit about THE VETTE NOT BEING A CAR HE PERSONALLY LIKES (god forbid, someone not liking a 'Vette - how could they, after all its x 10ths faster - just doesn't make sense to me....).

Remeber to write to me from Jail after you get caught from the next 20 minute street race you have through the streets of your neighbourhood.

Eric
Old 09-06-2001, 04:08 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Maxeemum, no no no, get it right. It may have beaten the 996 against the clock, but that does NOT necassarily mean that it has better 'feel' etc.

In a recent test in AutoCar over here, a Lotus Elise won the best handling car of the year accolade, was it the fastest on the track? No sir, not by a long shot, but what it had was supreme adjustability and feel.

I am not saying the 996 DOES have better feel than the Z06, how could I possibly, I have not driven a Z06. If I were you I too would refrain from making sweeping statements that you PERSONALLY are not able to back up. Otherwise we are just back at believing the hype, as you readily accused us of, are we not?

Eric
Old 09-06-2001, 04:20 PM
Carlos
Banned

Hey Eric, your post implies that maybe a new slogan is in order: Almost as much performance as a Z06 Corvette, almost as much luxury as a Toyota Avalon for only $120k, but "oh what a feeling." Or has that last part already been taken?
Old 09-06-2001, 04:27 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

How about 'Three times the style of a Corvette'??
Old 09-06-2001, 04:34 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Are we also really saying here Carlos that people aren't allowed to make a personal decision as to which car they like, what appeals to them? And should base there purchase on track times?

Let me ask you a question, do you like Blonde women or Brunettes?? Hmmm, kind of subjective and personal to each individual eh?

Sheeez, and I thought America was land of the free
Old 09-06-2001, 04:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally posted by Maxeemum:
<STRONG>Guys, hello?..Is anyone Home?...

The Z06 beat the 996TT in EVERY CATEGORY!
And we are not just talking about numbers. We are talking about feel, and enjoyment to drive. Read the article for gods sake and stop thinking that the world is flat and that the earth is the center of the solar system.

If you don't see anything wrong with that then you guys are brain dead!</STRONG>
Geez, talk about brain dead! How can you miss the point so repeatedly? Don't you get it? I don't care that SOMEONE ELSE thinks that the Z06 has more feel and is more entertaining to drive or that the numbers are everything. In contrast to you, apparently, I am capable of making MY OWN decisions, and just because my criteria for making that decision is different than yours or some magazine employee's doesn't make it "bullsh*t", as you so elegantly put it.

I had a choice of a lot of great machinery under $100,000. I bought a 996 because, overall, it best fullfilled MY wants and needs in an automobile. The fact that those wants and needs are different than yours, pleases me no end.

So once again, which current Porsche is it that you own? If you don't own one, then you really aren't qualified to comment on the Porsche ownership experience. And if you do own one, then you are an idiot to keep it when it causes you so much angst. For pitys sake sell it quick so you won't have to keep agonizing over these magazine road tests.

Mike
Old 09-06-2001, 04:52 PM
Carlos
Banned

I'm in favor of personal liberties including choice of cars. But that has no effect on reality. And refusing to accept thet the 996tt has some deficiencies is akin to talking up the "personality" of the fat girl.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:05 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

errr - who here is saying that the 996 doesn't have deficiencies?? Must have missed that post. Of course it does, don't most cars?. So the Corvette doesn't have any I presume??? Round of applause for Corvette then.

Again we arrive back at the point that seems to be crucial to this whole debate. The ability make a personal choice on a car. Not to be told by a magazine what to buy. Has it occured to you that some people might not like the shape of a Corvette? Might not like the interior (even though the next man on the street loves it). Might not like the driving position (again in contrast to what the next man on the street thinks). Thank god we all like different things in life, otherwise life would be very boring, don't you think?

I take it you have driven a Z06, as you are so sure of its superhuman capabilities? OK. What about a 996 TT? Right then. Or are you just taking a magazines word for it??

If you want perfection, go buy a McLaren F1.

Eric
Old 09-06-2001, 05:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally posted by Carlos:
<STRONG>I'm in favor of personal liberties including choice of cars. But that has no effect on reality. And refusing to accept thet the 996tt has some deficiencies is akin to talking up the "personality" of the fat girl.</STRONG>
I just read back through the posts in this thread. Maybe you could identify which poster wrote that the 996tt has no deficiencies, because I couldn't find that statement. If you're going to try and make a point about reality, maybe you should make sure you're on firm ground in that area.

Why is this so hard for you? All cars have deficiencies. Each buyer makes a choice which minimizes those deficiencies for him/her. Let's cut through the hyperbole for a minute. Are you really trying to say that the 996tt, one of the top production performance cars in the world by any objective measure, is nothing more than a "fat girl with personality"?

I can think of a certain Porsche V8 model that was, in it's day, thought to be bulbous and overweight. Yet obviously it appealed to certain buyers, didn't it? When you bought one, did you listen to the critics, or did you buy what YOU wanted?

Mike
Old 09-06-2001, 05:46 PM
Carlos
Banned

Glad so see some reality creepin in. We can discuss opinions forever. And everybody has a right to thier own.

No, I have driven neither car. Didn't claim that I had. But C&D has and that's what we were discussing. You don't have to drive an F14 to believe it's supersonic.

As for the McClaren, sorry but I don't have a spare million around. But if you do and wan't to really impress me, I'll email my address. If it shows up I'll be your biggest fan!
Old 09-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Turbo-Look
Advanced

"You don't have to drive an F14 to believe it's supersonic."

That is the obvious.

When it comes to the performance difference between the Z06 and the tt, it isn't quite so obvious. Which makes it more of a personal preference. Something Maxeemum finds hard to accept. Mike and Eric and everyone else has repeated this many times over - he just isn't listening.

Maxeemum is the kind of person that bases his entire opinion on one magazine article. He has no real world experience with either the 996tt or the Z06. He even says the Z06 'feels' better because a magazine said so. Have you ever even felt a Z06 or a 996tt? The magazine is your definitive source for automotive opinions. I think the magazine guys can't ask for a more ignorant or better customer.

Don't you understand? We don't care that the Z06 is faster and costs a lot less. We made our decisions based on our personal opinion (not simply based on how fast a car can go) and that's that.

Turbo-Look

P.S. - Thank you Mike for expressing the important points over and over.

Quick Reply: Porsche, Asleep at The Wheel!