Sponsored by:

996 VS Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Neighbor
I've never quite understood the term "character" in cars. A Lotus Elise certainly has character (although here in the States, it uses a Toyota engine). Does a Honda S2000? I don't really understand. Does character have involve money. hmmm. I'd say my 1969 Mercedes Convertible has character. Some might argue it doesn't. Is character subjective also? Don't get me wrong, after 43k miles in my Porsche, I'd say it has character. Most people would say that no Lexus has character. Does character mean you have to put up with compromises, qwerks, cost, or is it low production numbers? Car magazines use this term also. Ah heck, maybe I don't have character.
I agree with you. It seems people use the term character as a nice way of saying flaws. It's the same inversion that has happened with good and evil. In the past being powerful, rich, or influential was good and being poor was bad. Now if you're poor or meak you inherit the earth and the rich powerful people are the evil ones....Cars that are fast, reliable, and look good have no soul and things that consume oil, leak, and need regular repairs have character.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have kids, the choice is clear -- 996. With the Porsche, you'll be able to take your kids to school, take them out on weekends around town. It's a very practical sports car.

996 rear seats are perfect for kids. With a booster and a child seat, the rear seats are great. Kids love riding in a Porsche. The suspension on 996 isn't stiff at all compared to NSX and other sports cars. The car is extremely stiff and will hold up fine in a crash. It's not as safe as a minivan or suv in a crash but it's certainly as safer than a compact sedan based on a few accident photos I've seen. Besides, you'll be unlikely to get into an accident in the 2st place.

Your wife will like the 996 better as the car is more usable. If you get the NSX, you'll never drive it with any of your family. It'll be something only you will be able to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I love NSX. If you were 25 and single, I'd definitely recommend NSX. A car is got to fit you and your lifestyle needs. Unless this is a Sunday drive only car (which isn't), you'll be glad you get a 996. Take the family for a spin in it and ask if they like it!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're intending on sharing the driving experience with your children, then I think the clear choice is the 996. Regardless of the differences in dynamics, reliability, maintenance expsense, and safety between these two, the NSX will only allow ONE additional passenger any way you cut it. However "useless" the 996's backseats may be (or perceived by many to be), they're still way more useful than having none. My 4.5 and 2 year-old boys love it back there, and that puts an even bigger smile on my face.

I've admired and lusted after the NSX ever since its inception, and have even pursued purchasing one. However, it fell out of the running after kids came into the picture.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ucube
However, it fell out of the running after kids came into the picture.

I'm glad to have both. 911 for the kids to ride in occassionally and the NSX all to myself
Old 06-14-2006, 03:27 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds like the 996 fits your uses better.

On the track: If you just track your car casually, they will both be fun cars. The newer NSX's might be marginally faster given sticky rubber on both. Modified, the 996 is a much, much, much better track car.

On the street: The NSX gets looks but as has been noted, a lot of them are from either engineering types or kids. It won't get you front line parking at a nice restaurant. Though neither will a standard 996, a 996tt cab might, but even thats questionable. Both are adequately fast for the street, both will be outrun by just about any modified car out there. IMO the NSX sounds better with a modified exhaust than does the 996. Stock, I like the 996's sound better.

Problem areas: If you drive a 996 hard, pay attention to the rear main seal. We had to replace the one on my racecar every 3 races, we just considered it a wear item. The NSX, not much is going to break. AC on mine went out late in its life but was easily fixed. Don't buy an early car in snapring range. Coil packs occassionally go out due to the way water drains off the engine. Easy fix. If you run the early alignment you will chew through tires on an NSX (hint, run the later alignment unless you drive extremely aggressively).

Both fun cars, but different. Sounds to me, the 996 would be a better choice for you simply because it has backseats and would be more functional.

Though on the functional end of things, an NSX can carry a passenger and 2 sets of golf clubs in reasonably sized bags. A 996 cannot do that to my knowledge.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:49 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=TD in DC]Yes, but it is too bad that the soul of the 993 weighed more than any other 911, including the soulless 996s and 997s, and is slower to boot.

I guess you could say that the 993 has the soul and character of an ugly chick in a supermodel body!

It's funny that the 996 Targa weighs more than the 993 Targa.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adsc4s
It's funny that the 996 Targa weighs more than the 993 Targa.
It's an absolute riot!

BTW, out of all seriousness though, the 996 targa weighs less than the 993 targa. I think it is less than 50 lbs, but still . . .

Last edited by TD in DC; 06-14-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Kids love the 911, and on long trips the engine purr behind their heads puts them to sleep quickly (good for parents)

No, golf clubs will not fit in the back of the 911.....at least not my 55" driver
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
cab2u
Intermediate

I had a 91 NSX for 2 1/2 years, then a 98 NSX for 2 1/2 years, then a 00 C2 for 3 years and now an 03 TT for the last 2 months. I absolutely loved the NSX's They were much more comfortable then the 911's. Fantastic cars. I moved away from them for a couple of reasons. First, I felt like I was getting too old for them. Although I knew they were as good if not better than the Ferrari's of their time, as I got older I started to feel like I was driving a poor man's Ferrari.
The other reason is I now have young kids and the NSX was sometimes useless. My kids have used the back seats of the 911's hundred's of times, and they are perfect for them. Until they are old enough for the front seats, I will never own another sport's car. The seats make ALL the difference in how much you will enjoy the car.

With all that, I LOVED the NSX's.

And golf clubs fit fine. I fit 2 bags not problem in both cars.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I had a 95 nsx-t for about a year and loved it. Did some mods to it before selling it to a friend who hardly drives it now. But then again, I only drove it on the weekends as well. The NSX was great but I just missed the feel and look of the 911. Neither is practical for golfing. although the nsx has a good size trunk for one bag.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love these subjective posts that somehow always get back to the 993. Character, in my personal opinion, is earned. When I saw neighbor had a 69 Benz , I said to myself, that guy has good taste.

I guess it all boils down to: What do you want your car to say about you?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:36 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I can get 2 golf bags in my C4 if I put the top down, and pull out the drivers and woods and slip them behind the seat on the floor

Sounds like you should get the 996 to me.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 AM
Mitty
Racer

Originally Posted by P7
also I have two kids, a 3-year old and a 6-month old - I know the carrera has small back seats but I am worried about putting my kids there due to many factors such as stiff suspensions, engine noise, safety, etc... - but maybe I am not 100% correct in that - so I figured both cars would be useless anyways when it comes to family outings - the NSX has only 2 seats and the carrera has useless back seats - but I only want one of these two cars for me !!!

any further help based on the above criteria ??
My daughters are 8 and 11. They both love going for a drive in the 996. The 11 year old is starting to get a bit tall but the 8 year old fits in the car seat in the back.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Neighbor
Instructor

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
When I saw neighbor had a 69 Benz , I said to myself, that guy has good taste.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM
P7
Advanced

Am I correct in the year I am after (2002) to try and avoid the early problems such as the RMS ???

Also enough people told me that I can drive the carrera 2 in the winter on ice and snow with no problems at all using good winter tires - how accurate is that ?? I can't afford a C4S - actually my ideal number is 35K but I wanted to stretch it to $45K to get a 2002 due to the increased performance and less problems - again - am I correct with that assumption ???

Quick Reply: 996 VS Acura NSX