Sponsored by:

996 VS Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:56 PM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 95' NSX for 9 months before it was stolen. I then test drove the 96' as a replacement. I really don't remember there being a major difference except some added HP. I loved the car and was pissed when it was stolen. The only negative thing I could say about it is that the cockpit not up to par with German or Italian cars. It is very Japanese feeling. It wasn't a huge deal to me, but it might be someone else. I don't think you can go wrong with either car.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

gcohen,
Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm just curious to know if there's anything we can learn from your unfortunate experience.

Did you ever get the story on what happened? Was the thiefe/thieves ever caught?? Was the car stolen by a sophistacted band of car thieves or just punk kids out for a joy ride??? Was the car stolen when it was left running and unattended or did the thieves have to work hard to pull of the caper? Was there anything you could have done differently to prevent the theft???

Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I can't help but wonder if there's something we can learn from your experience.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 PM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought the car in October of 95. I was living in Manhattan and commuting to Brooklyn everday. I parked the car in a fenced in lot across the street from my warehouse. The car was stolen in May of 96 on a Thursday. The police were notified and I never heard anything back from them. I settled with the banks after 30 days and moved on. 2 years later I get a call from the FBI impund in New Jersey saying they have my car. I laughed and told them to call the bank that bought it from me when it was stolen.

As for who stole it, I'll never know for sure. I believe whoever it was saw the car originally in Manhattan and followed me to Brooklyn. They probably watched it for a couple of days, saw it was left all day and then made their move.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:50 PM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

Default back seat functionality

just to clear something up -

i am able to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the back of my c4 - with my driver in the bag (a taylor madr r540). my kids (2 boys) really love going anywhere in the porsche as well. especially when we go around a corner or turn onto an onramp aggressively - they just giggle excessively & say weeeeeeeeee!!!!! btw they are 6 & almost 5. my decision was between an m5 & the 911. the place i purchased it from let me take it home for the night & i tested out the feasibility of the kids in the backseat. the 911 won me over with the looks & the true sports car feel with the added bonus of a useable backseat.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter says that my 996 Targa is like a roller coaster. I think it is hilarious, but I wish she would stop saying it around my wife and in-laws.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:22 PM
P7
Advanced

So I guess after I was determined to sell the NSX (just for the practicality of having extra 2 seats in the 911 for the kids), I can't get myself to let it go. I actually put it in the trader 3 times (yes 3 times) and everytime I take it off the list - so I have decided to wait and save for a 911 and keep the NSX

I think having both cars will be the ultimate

My target is 3 years to buy one and I hope the 997S will be in the 50s range by then (although I doubt it) - if not, I will settle for an 02 996
Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

P7,

You would be surprised. My dad took a Cayman in trade today - $72k sticker new in May... $60k today. I realize it's not a 911, but Porsche has bumped up production numbers of all their models in the last few years (compare the 993 and 996)...

Justin
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

I have been thinking about a 996 in my future, but the engine issues have me quite worried. I have worked in automotive design/engineering for 12+ years and find it quite appauling that Porsche can't make a car that is at a reliability equal to cars that are 1/2 the price (Corvette).

The NSX while a little dated has a look that has become a bit iconic for import performance. The cars are bulletproof, and can take boost to boot. Imagine a mid/rwd 450+WHP monster that doesn't break easily.

I am still torn, I love the P-car, but engine failures that despite growns from members here assuring me it's overhyped, are a great concern. Corvette/mustang/nsx/ forums aren't littered with so many "so i've replaced my motor" threads.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 PM
WFO
Advanced

Sounds like you need a Corvette, Mustang or NSX. You wouldn't like a Porsche :-)
Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Sold my 993 and my NSX today and am lookinf for a 996.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
I have been thinking about a 996 in my future, but the engine issues have me quite worried. I have worked in automotive design/engineering for 12+ years and find it quite appauling that Porsche can't make a car that is at a reliability equal to cars that are 1/2 the price (Corvette).
(
I was talking to a Porsche service manager a few weeks back and asked him if he saw many issues of a particulr type (I forget now what we were talking about) and he said, "oh yes, Porsches are terrible, all I ever see are broken ones "

This board is hardly representative of the Porsche world. Go and google to see if you can find a board that only says good things about Porsche/Corvette/BMW/whatever.......it doesn't work like that!! If you did a real-world poll on engine failures, I really don't think Porsche is going to be too close to the top........
Old 10-10-2006, 07:53 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

I would like to see real world numbers on the % of 996 failures... I just don't have the facts. I know that books written on the 911 that include a section on the 996 talk at some length on the oiling system and seal failures. So that alone makes me wonder how common of an issue that is.

The trouble is when you mention it on a P-car board you get fanboi's suggesting you should not get a porsche, and that porsche's are going to be costly to maintain...

Wha...wha.. what, you'd think that an entry level 70K car would be a little more reliable. Heck if Honda can reach Lexus level reliability out of a 8K revving V6 why can't Porsche?

But talk like this will get you flamed at time... that I just don't get.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
I would like to see real world numbers on the % of 996 failures... I just don't have the facts. I know that books written on the 911 that include a section on the 996 talk at some length on the oiling system and seal failures. So that alone makes me wonder how common of an issue that is.

The trouble is when you mention it on a P-car board you get fanboi's suggesting you should not get a porsche, and that porsche's are going to be costly to maintain...

Wha...wha.. what, you'd think that an entry level 70K car would be a little more reliable. Heck if Honda can reach Lexus level reliability out of a 8K revving V6 why can't Porsche?

But talk like this will get you flamed at time... that I just don't get.
I think you may be taking it the wrong way. I personally think the problems are overhyped bigtime. I don't have sufficient data to back it up. I do know that life is too short to worry about things like this. If it really bothers you this much, maybe it means you shouldn't buy one . . . really . . . and I don't mean this to be obnoxious, condescending or sarcastic.

Either get comfortable with the idea that the car will probably be fine and that it will not be the end of the world if you are one of the unlucky ones, or look for a different type of car.

I think it will be impossible as a practical matter for you to get emperical data, and even if you could, you wouldn't find it on a public BBS.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
WFO
Advanced

If it really bothers you this much, maybe it means you shouldn't buy one . . . really . . . and I don't mean this to be obnoxious, condescending or sarcastic.

Exactly. When I said you probably wouldn't like it, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I think you want some reassurance that all will be well, that isn't going to happen. If you buy a 996 and it does blow up, will it be the end of the world, will you be able to get it fixed? I guess my what I'm saying is, if your going to worry yourself sick over it, it's probably not worth it, and your better off with a Mustang/Vette or some other belly button.....sorry couldn't help myself. Not trying to be a dick about it.....but if you won't be able to relax and have fun with it.....look at other options.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

If you want a Porsche buy one. The motors are great. Do they have issues? Some I had a rear main seal issues and Porsche took care of it no questions asked. Replaced the seal 4 times then put in a new engine.Others would tell me to live with the leak.
I have 40,000 miles on my GT3 with 19,349 track miles and the motor is strong and never any problems.
If you are looking for a car that will spend time at the track and remain reliable you can not do better.

Quick Reply: 996 VS Acura NSX