Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

my bmw got a younger brother (now with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:48 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my bmw got a younger brother (now with pics)

[update: pics are here ]

some people get married. some have kids. some buy a second car. take a guess what i did. just take a guess. yep, you got it...

pulled the trigger and got it today from the dealer. 2003, 16K miles. $58 price - $62xxx out the door. they did such a good detail job, they took hood scratches off - i can't even see where they were.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE it. a few questions:

1) the remote (key) doesn't work. i replaced the battery - no luck. i guess warranty will take care of it. meanwhile i dont understand why alarm goes off even when i unlock the car via the door key. also need to get a 2nd key - car only came with one.

2) after taking top down later on today got a red error: "Convertible top not in limit position" - but the top was fine. after putting it back up the error was still there. had to turn the car off and on. seems ok now.

3) still le-learning to drive stick. gosh its been a while

4) cruising in 4th @ 75mph @ 3K RPM is good? should i keep it below 3,000 RPM? remember reading somewhere 3K RPM is just what the car needs.

5) checked out the car with the sport exhaust and loved the sound. which aftermarket gives similar sound? i am more going for feel (resonance) and not loudness. i want the car to purr when idle and scream when on the highway.

pics tomorrow. mod list so far:

- exhaust (gonna need help deciding what to get)
- PSS9 (no brainer, seems like everybody raves about it)
- carbon fiber shifter and break handle (aftermarket suggestions?)
- SSK (also taking suggestions)
- audio upgrade (needs cd changer at least - will go with reus audio)
- passenger window replacement (has a scratch on it)
- RemoteTOP (anybody done it?)
- bumper plugs (already removed front license plate!!)
- V1 (have it in my bmw, love it!)
- Debadging (carrera badge comes right off with a floth, right?)
- auto-dimming mirror with garage door opener (saw a thread on it here)
- clear side markers (duh!)
- nice tastefull front bumper

yay.. i am a 911 owner.. yay..

Last edited by jkb; 06-12-2006 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:29 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but.......WHERE ARE THE IMAGES?????????

you are going to love it!!!! completely different than your BMW!!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

they should give you a 2nd key!! new key will be about 350 or bucks!!...I had to replace one key and buy another...total cost 450 ( only had to pay computer 150 once, because I did both!)

Alarm goes off when you unlock it the wrong way...I don't remember how to do it the right way...had these problems a couple of times...when my only remote key stopped working ( I remember that if you are unlucky the car will lock you out completely!! So get they key fixed fast!!)

I never had this error...have them check it out!

driving stick is a blast.....to bad I had to buy a tip...because my wife can't drive stick....will fix this (error) when buying my next sports car.

cruising is cruising and you can use the highest gear....make sure you go to the right gear when you want to "go"
you will get a lot of right answers to the revving patern of the P-car.....very soon from all the stick people on rennlist!!

If your P got the PSE....this would be the option.....unless you want a darker deeper sound....Fabspeed, GHL are good options.....I got a Dansk super sound.....sounds good....could be louder...is deeper then a PSE though....and half the price!

I got OEM CF brake and shift(tip) handle and love the patern
Have cd changer OEM....never use it...got XM radio and love to listen to the exhaust sound!
got remote top and remote key....love both
bumper plugs Eric...see this site somewhere ( my wife bought them from a Porsche (st)ealer, didn't know better and wanted to surprise me...)
keep the carrera badge....or replace it with a black one...if your's is silver, car looks naked without it ( my 2cents)

you are going to love all the mod packages coming by mail!!! Everyday is going to be x-mas for a while!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

AHHHH congrats man
So you gonna be on the 24th drive?
75 you should be on 5th or 6th gear already if youre cruising Muffler you should go with
Fabspeed or Evo exhaust.. call Alex at sharkwerks, mine has evo, his white 996 has evo exhaust and headers... he's in Fremont...mod alert!!! lol
I have alum center console/ebrake/shifter, SSK, X74 suspension and intake shceduled next week,LOL
again congrats man!! if you really want loud, fabspeed cat/muffler bypass
Old 06-11-2006, 04:51 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
but.......WHERE ARE THE IMAGES?????????

you are going to love it!!!! completely different than your BMW!!
yeah, it sure is different. i used to own a 2003 745Li and given how those two cars are the same year, 911 is so anti technology compared to the bmw.

funny thing, as i parked yesterday and was moving slowly in reverse, i kept on waiting for park distance control sensors to start beeping
Old 06-11-2006, 05:21 PM
jkb
Racer

they should give you a 2nd key!! new key will be about 350 or bucks!!...I had to replace one key and buy another...total cost 450 ( only had to pay computer 150 once, because I did both!)
gonna ask the dealer today for a 2nd key. hopefully i wont have to pay.

Alarm goes off when you unlock it the wrong way...I don't remember how to do it the right way...had these problems a couple of times...when my only remote key stopped working ( I remember that if you are unlucky the car will lock you out completely!! So get they key fixed fast!!)

I never had this error...have them check it out!

driving stick is a blast.....to bad I had to buy a tip...because my wife can't drive stick....will fix this (error) when buying my next sports car.

cruising is cruising and you can use the highest gear....make sure you go to the right gear when you want to "go"
you will get a lot of right answers to the revving patern of the P-car.....very soon from all the stick people on rennlist!!

If your P got the PSE....this would be the option.....unless you want a darker deeper sound....Fabspeed, GHL are good options.....I got a Dansk super sound.....sounds good....could be louder...is deeper then a PSE though....and half the price!
i dont have PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust, right?). but one other car i looked at had PSE and i loved how it sounded, so the aftermarket i got i want to be as close to PSE as possible. is there a Dansk mp3 or video with sound online? where would i get it? how much was it including install?

I got OEM CF brake and shift(tip) handle and love the patern
you mean i just get it from porsche part department, right? did you install it yourself? how is it done?

Have cd changer OEM....never use it...got XM radio and love to listen to the exhaust sound!
got remote top and remote key....love both
cool, good to know it works. i assume install is straight forward - just follow their directions?

bumper plugs Eric...see this site somewhere ( my wife bought them from a Porsche (st)ealer, didn't know better and wanted to surprise me...)
keep the carrera badge....or replace it with a black one...if your's is silver, car looks naked without it ( my 2cents)
it is black, but i love the look when the cars are debadged

you are going to love all the mod packages coming by mail!!! Everyday is going to be x-mas for a while!!!
hahaha... with the smile on my face yesterday, x-mas is already here
Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by alex911s
AHHHH congrats man
So you gonna be on the 24th drive?
yes, if its not too early (not a morning person). where is it again?

75 you should be on 5th or 6th gear already if youre cruising Muffler you should go with Fabspeed or Evo exhaust.. call Alex at sharkwerks, mine has evo, his white 996 has evo exhaust and headers... he's in Fremont...mod alert!!! lol
i'll guess i can checkout different exhausts at the 24th drive?

I have alum center console/ebrake/shifter, SSK, X74 suspension and intake shceduled next week,LOL
again congrats man!! if you really want loud, fabspeed cat/muffler bypass
i dont want loud. i want more of a resonance. i basically really liked PSE and want an aftermarket that matches it.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

remote key and top are very simple installs

depending on your tast...PSE or fabspeed...Dansk is in the middle sound note wise..( this is what my ears tell me...others might think different!)

My P came with the CF brake and tip shift installed....I would try ebay first for everything....can savw you hundreds !!! You dealer with charge you full rate...there are a lot of dealers that give you discounts...Sunset Porsche, Departstop.com and the sponsers on this site...

Debadging is personal..I like the badge...it is the only one on the whole care, besides the hood crest...but if you want it gone...ge the blowdryer, heat it up and peel it off carefully!

It will be X-mas from now on.....and yes it is funny that the Porsches are so technologicalle challengend.....I love it that way!!! Man and machine!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

First congratulations. You had us all very captivated. Not sure you will get unanimous support on the PSS9. Do some searching and mosdt of all try to ride with someone that has PSS or X74 etc etc. Suspension mods should not be done lightly. Do you really want to crawl under the car to adjust the suspension?

PS Nicolaas does your wife know she is on borrowed time?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:42 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

she doesn't like to drive the P at all.....she made me buy her an X5...after I lowered the P-car
Old 06-12-2006, 02:03 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

that could make an interesting thread. My wife has never driven my porsche and has no interest in the car. We are definitely a his and hers family. My wife refuses to obey the rules about driving the Porsche i.e. no parking next to other cars (walking is good for you) and no eating or drinking in the car and not parking within 500metres of a supermarklet trolley area. The list goes on so she drives a four wheel drive toyota that has never been cleaned.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 AM
phwang20
Instructor

My wife has been asking for a conversion van. Anyone have experience w/ conversion vans? A little OT, but thought I'd ask. She keeps sending me links w/ the high top newer CHEVY or GMC explorer vans w/ 22-26" flat screens. They're nice, but cornering in one of those things feels like driving a tall building, no?

PS. It's not her primary vehicle... just an extra family vehicle. That would be 4. I wanted to get another sports car... 5 in the family is too many!!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

give here a Van with a lift...so when she hits your P....with her Van she can still use it after you break here neck!! ( I am just kidding...have to write this because some people take everything serious...I am refering to a member who's wife or S.O. back up into the front of his P-car)

JKB......your car looks very clean...same color as BMW.....mmmmhhhhh...My X5 is black like my P-car.

I see that sidemarkers still have to change color (to white!) and that you are in serious need of gauge rings...and maybe a silver airbag strip in your dashboard (this only if you are not afraid of using force and seeing your dashboard move A LOT when removing the black strip!
The BMW is going to collect a lot of dust the next few years!! Especially when you don't have kids....so no backseat comfort problems!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:16 PM
SoCalC4Cab
Track Day

Default Great looking car!

Congrats on the purchase -- beautiful 996. I'm one month into ownership of my 2003 C4 Cab, and although I told myself I would still drive my Tahoe most days, I've driven my 996 every day. I even drove it to my hockey game last night, top down with my sticks and gear bag tucked into the back seat. And you'll be pleased to know that although your car has less miles than mine, you paid a few thousand less than I did. As for the mods, the remote top is key, and check out bumperplugs.com for your bumper, as well as a ton of other cool stuff.

Quick Reply: my bmw got a younger brother (now with pics)