Sponsored by:

Radio and CDC replaced under warrantee

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Radio and CDC replaced under warrantee

Have an '04 C4S with upgraded Bose system (CDR-23) and 6 disc in trunk. Radio was cutting out and giving weird displays, so dealer replaced with new CDR-23 under warrantee. Still didn't work. Checked codes and found CDC fault - replaced CD changer at no cost - system works well, but I'm unable to access either the GAL or LOUD settings when 'SOUND" is repeatedly pushed. According to the manual, they should work. Dealer replaced CDC with CD-4 Porsche unit - I'm assuming that is the factory spec unit that came with vehicle - is that correct number? Can someone with an '04 trunk mounted changer please check? Any insight as to the other questions is appreciated. Thanks!

Phil G.
'04 C4S Atlas/Black

Phil

Last edited by Phil G.; 06-10-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil - I have a similar problem which I posted back in April of this year as follows:

I have an '04 with CDR-23. I received only the Quick Reference Guide with the car but I was able to download the Adobe version of the CDR-23 Manual. However, when I attempt to access the GAL setting this option does not appear.

There is a comment in the manual pn page 18 If the right rotary control/push button is pressed, "Setting GAL" is called up. If a Porsche sound package is present, "Setting DRIVER" is called up.

On page 19, the GAL setting is covered. However, once into the USER setting and I press the MENU botton repeatedly (per the instructions) it goes immediately out of USER mode and back to normal audio mode. Additionally the top paragraph in the center section on page 19 states This setting is saved in dependance to the set user. This setting may only be made if no sound package is connected. To switch the GAL function on or off, see "Speed dependant volume control (GAL)" on page 6.

I have the BOSE option and I believe that qualifies as a "sound package." Consequently, I guess those of us that that have CDR-23 with a "sound package" (Bose or ???) can not access GAL or LOUD!. WTF???

If I am wrong, please correct me! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Tim,

I downloaded the PDF for the unit as well. Interestingly, with the CDR-23 in my car originally (prior to the replacement), I was able to access the GAL and LOUD features. I'll check to see if I can do so using your suggestions and let you know. Thanks.

Phil
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

A few comments, from memory:

1. CDR23 (like PCM) are Becker products and have nothing to do with Bose (which is only the amplifier and speakers)
2. A Bose equipped Porsche will not use GAL (speed dependent volume), rather it uses AudioPilot (also called vehicle noise cancelllation or VNC). This system uses the microphone (for handsfree phone and/or AP) installed in the vehicle and wired to the Bose DSP amplifier to monitor sound levels in the cabin, compare it to the audio source and adjust accordingly. It is accessed as AP from a CDR23 headunit.
3. A Bose equipped Porsche will not have Loudness function enabled, just Bass and Treble. A Loudness setting was determined to not be necessary during test drives by PAG early on and would conflict with the standard vehicle level tuning/EQ's.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Itc, it helps a great deal. I am able to access AP (I leave it off - I had it in my '05 S4 and it could not be disabled), and the other sound functions minus the loudness feature. Based on your post, there's nothing wrong with my unit - it's working as per factory specs. I wonder if the loudness function can be accessed, since it's apparently programmed into the head unit?

Anyway, thanks for the info!!

Phil
Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
A few comments, from memory:

1. CDR23 (like PCM) are Becker products and have nothing to do with Bose (which is only the amplifier and speakers)
2. A Bose equipped Porsche will not use GAL (speed dependent volume), rather it uses AudioPilot (also called vehicle noise cancelllation or VNC). This system uses the microphone (for handsfree phone and/or AP) installed in the vehicle and wired to the Bose DSP amplifier to monitor sound levels in the cabin, compare it to the audio source and adjust accordingly. It is accessed as AP from a CDR23 headunit.
3. A Bose equipped Porsche will not have Loudness function enabled, just Bass and Treble. A Loudness setting was determined to not be necessary during test drives by PAG early on and would conflict with the standard vehicle level tuning/EQ's.

Hope this helps a bit.
Itc - Thanks for verifying my findings. At least I know that I'm not crazy (well, not about the Bose anyway)!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I wonder if the loudness function can be accessed, since it's apparently programmed into the head unit?
The loudness function has been disabled by PAG as part of their specified S/W build, so it can't be turned on without a new S/W version and/or test code loaded into the headunit.

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Anyway, thanks for the info!! Phil
You're welcome.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

One additional question - what is the number of the factory installed CD Changer on the '04's - is it CD-4? Thanks!

Phil
Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Itc - Thanks for verifying my findings. At least I know that I'm not crazy (well, not about the Bose anyway)!
+1.... Thanks ITC. And thanks for the forum which already covered this. I was having the same issues in my newly acquired 2004 C4S.

Quick Reply: Radio and CDC replaced under warrantee