996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports on car waxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:50 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get a great shine, and save those wrists - use a Porta Cable and suitable foam applicator pad for putting on the wax.

Available from stores and ONLINE

For wax removal and buffing - you slip a MF Bonnet over a pad, and use the Porta Cable again

This get's you the result you're after, without giving you some form of carpal tunnel injury!

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 06-23-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yowza! Pretty!

Have you ever noticed any stippling/minor pitting of the clearcoat using the random orbital polisher? I have heard that it could happen due to heat generation.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
Yowza! Pretty!

Have you ever noticed any stippling/minor pitting of the clearcoat using the random orbital polisher? I have heard that it could happen due to heat generation.

Random Orbitals work compltely off of mechanical action and build very little heat.

Rotrary polishers on the other hand spin on an axis and do generate LOTS of heat which is where you run into burning paint, etc.

A Random Orbital like the PC 7424 is a must for any enthusiest...trust me your car will never look better and you'll wonder why you waited soo long to pick one up. It's actually very hard to mess up paint with a RO to the point that you cannot fix what you've just done with the very same machine.

And while everyone is going to have their favorite products...a deep, wet, swirl-free finish is not about products...rather it's about prep work. The last show I went to I polished the A4 with the PC the night before and intended to get up and seal and wax the car the morning of the show...over slept and didn't have time to put anythig on the car... got comment after comment asking what wax I used...Didn't have the heart to tell the people there was nothing on the paint at all.

Andy
Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Andy said - the PC is a 'must have' and it's really safe to use for us weekend warriors.

At full speed, leaning into the polisher, you can get the paint warm, but not hot - Warm enough to 'activate' some of the acrylic glazes (as they are suposed to), but not enough to damage paint or clear coat.

The rotary polishers should be left to the pros, or those with less anxiety and/or more experience!

Get a PC and a set of pads, you'll be a happy waxer - get some good anti-swirl polish for your black 996 as well, your PC will make that a breeze as well.

Take a look at SONUS SWIRLBUSTER

It's absolutely the best polish I've used for a black car - use before you wax of course!

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 06-23-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports on car waxes