Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports on car waxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
What wax do you guys recommend for a black 996?
HAHA good one!

Didnt you know that "Black" in Stuttgart means "wash me daily"??

-Keith
Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
What wax do you guys recommend for a black 996?
Simple..Zaino...Start with Dawn dish soap..do the clay thing...wash again...Z-5Pro (with ZFX), Z-8 wipe, Z-2Pro(with ZFX), Z-8 wipe, Z-2 Pro (with ZFX), Z-8 wipe. Then dust and Z-8 wipe regularly. Of course use MAFs for the wipes. Black is simple & beuatiful!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had very good results with Zaino and the Glanz Wax by Einszett on my wife's jet black car. However, constant cleaning is still required. The Glanz Wax is a durable synthetic wax but has the "glow" of a carnauba and is a easier to use and hides imperfections better than the Zaino. I somewhat prefer the higher shine/reflective nature of prefer of Zaino vs. Glanz Wax, but the real kicker is I am addicted to Zaino's Z8 Grand Finale spray. IMO, Z8 is hands down the best detailing product I have ever used which tips the scale in Zaino's favor. I just ordered the new Z5-pro to see if it does a better job of hiding micromarring than the old Z5 (which I thought was useless).
Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

OK I took the bait and did a little test for myself on this wax thing. I went to Peep Boys and bought a bottle of Black Magic liquid, the top choice for liquids. Washed the car and then applied the wax. Compared to the original Meguiars that I have been using for 20 years this product does put on a much deeper shine than the Meguiars. Even deeper than the two step process that I use which is a final coat of yellow wax.

But now for the real test. No, I didn't go to the car wash 52 times. I went to the local car hop to get a burger for lunch. Will she notice when she comes to the car to take my order? Well no mention the first time.....but, when she came back to deliver the burger she stepped back and said, and I quote " what year is your car...this is very nice".

SOOO....there you go. I am now a firm believer in Black Magic liquid wax and no one at Black or Magic paid for my burger, drink or gas.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:53 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Cole
But now for the real test. No, I didn't go to the car wash 52 times. I went to the local car hop to get a burger for lunch. Will she notice when she comes to the car to take my order? Well no mention the first time.....but, when she came back to deliver the burger she stepped back and said, and I quote " what year is your car...this is very nice".

SOOO....there you go. I am now a firm believer in Black Magic liquid wax and no one at Black or Magic paid for my burger, drink or gas.
That sir is an objective and very scientific test!.

I usually haunt the OT and 997 forums, and was wondering when someone would quote the CR tests. I've been using Zaino Z2 Pro, and love it. Too bad CR didn't test it along with some of the other premium waxs, but that is the way CR tends to be. They are about bang for the buck more than ultimate quality most of the time. I think their tests are objective. It's just that they are so focused on value that it's frustrating to those of us that are looking more for top quality. I'll stick with Z2 for now, since I still have some, and I prefer a sealant type of treatment that will last over ultimate shine. Still, I am curious about the Black Magic. Anyone do a test of it vs Z2?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think they will test products like Zaino against regular car waxs since Zaino is more of a Paint Treatment than a wax. I still swear by Zaino!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And what's more the Z8 smells so good.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If you really want no issues with black cars, or any other color, try using 3M Hand Glaze followed by One Grand's Blitz wax. You will swear the paint is "wet" all the time. Been doing so monthly on my cars for the last 5 years or so and the dealership still wonders why my cars' paint looks better than new!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Nothing tougher than what I use! www.collinite.com They don't even have to advertize!

Here's my wife's 91 Black Cab with it.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is timely becuase I used a new product this weekend that I was very impressed with. Zaino has a brand new version of the Z5 swirl remover/hider (it is none abrassive and does not actually remove the swirls just hides them). It is a vast improvement over the old Z5, which I thought was completely worthless.

I used it on my wife's daily driven black car that I have not polished in over a year. The new Z5 did an amazing job of hiding the small "spider webbed" type of micro marring that you see surround the reflection of the sun or powerful light in just one application (multiple applications are possible for even better results I have been told). My usual complaint with swirl mark "maskers" is that they are not durable and the hiding properties quickly diminish, but Zaino has always had incredible durablity so it will be interesting to see how long this last.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I’m surprised that no one has commented on the recent Consumer Reports rating of car waxes.
That's because anybody who knows anything doesn't waste time with CR. They've never been right about anything. I know about cameras and tools, so it's always fun for me to check out what they have to say, and they are always SOOOOOO wrong, and often they state the opposite of what is true. I honestly think they get all their info by going to the manufacturers website and reading the advertisements.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by marlinspike
That's because anybody who knows anything doesn't waste time with CR. They've never been right about anything. I know about cameras and tools, so it's always fun for me to check out what they have to say, and they are always SOOOOOO wrong, and often they state the opposite of what is true. I honestly think they get all their info by going to the manufacturers website and reading the advertisements.
That's got to be one of the goofiest, most uninformed posts I've seen since I began browsing this forum.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I am going to subscribe to Consumer Reports.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

I am with it...CR SUCKS! So just as I did last weekend pay me to run all of the product tests you need run and I will get it done.

Now, I will need an expense report account billed directly to your MC or Visa, a lab (which I can probably rent as needed and charge to your MC or Visa) and products with which to test (billed to your MC or Visa).

My hourly rates are reasonable and I am very bias....just like CR? Hey this could work out well for everyone!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a little bump here...

What do you use to apply and remove your wax? Foam pads? Terry cloth? Microfiber?

I want my 996 to look like Don's wife's car!!! Holy cow!

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports on car waxes