Sponsored by:

car broke, need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:27 PM
loliver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post car broke, need advice please

I got my car 1/22/03. From day 1 it would randomly stop. There is no pattern, idling, driving, going slow, going fast, it stops and all the start up lights come on. It restarts sometimes immediately, sometimes after sitting for a couple minutes. It could happen every few miles, or not stop for several miles. It has been in the shop on 4 occasions and is there now. Porsche is involved in the repair. There are no code faults on the computers. Every computer has been replaced, new ignition installed. The last time, they concluded that a bad crankshaft sensor was the problem. The car ran for 1050 miles and stoped. It then stopped twice on the 40-mile drive to the dealer, and is stopping for them. It has over 40 days in the shop. Is it time to tell Porsche to build a replacement?
All opinions and theories welcome.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have seen a similar problem where the cable connecting to the DME was loose. It would give all sorts of random problems both with and without erroneous fault codes.

It was a simple fix they just reconnected the DME cable and put a plastic tie on it so it would not come loose again.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Sound like something from the ecu is loose like a cable like Loren said. Does it engine cut out when you downshift or when idling? Regards. Mike
Old 03-31-2003, 12:55 PM
willard
Instructor

I would bet on the main electrical feed from the battery/alternator to all of the electrical loads.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:04 PM
rumster
Advanced

The problem may be with the factory technicians that are working to resolve the issue. Obviously, I'm not the expert but it seems that your car hasn't experienced a catastrophic failure that would require a brand new car. With so many days in the shop related to the same issue, I'm not sure how much confidence I would have in those particular technicians. They certainly seem to be working in earnest as they have replaced all computers and the crankshaft. But results are what count in their profession. I hope they are using all available resources to diagnose this problem.

However, your situation does pose an interesting set of questions where "chronic downtime" is concerned. In almost every other industry where technical machines are sold and maintained, part of the Service Level Agreement or User Contract is the recourse allowed (financial and otherwise) when the product/service is periodically down. These recourses are even available with voice, data, and other utilities. Sometimes a cumulative timeframe triggers the "cures" and sometimes it is a designated period of continuos downtime.

Being in the shop for 40 days since early January is just wrong!
Old 03-31-2003, 01:27 PM
01'996C-24ME
Instructor

Hey loliver, while I cant offer any helpful advice besides take it to a different dealer, it looks like you have one BAD *** car. How much were the PCCB option? Lets see some pix when u get it back. good luck.......
Old 03-31-2003, 01:42 PM
Ed996-2
AutoX

Check the state "lemon laws" if any. Usually if a car is in the shop for more than a set number of days or if a repair is attempted unsuccessfully mutiple times the car can be clasdified as a lemon.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I agree with Ed. In many states your car would already qualify for a lemon law replacement. There is no reason to put up with this on a brand new car. Unless you push the issue, they'll keep futzing around and you'll be without the car. Go for a new one unless they can fix it quickly.

Karl
Old 03-31-2003, 05:04 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

If I read your post correctly, you got the car Jan of this year and it already has spent 40 days in the shop. Without question, demand a new car (politely, but very firmly). I don't know the Fla. lemon laws, but I would be shocked if you have not blown through the hurdles to qualify. Your dealer should be on your side at this point in getting you a new car. I would try to resolve the situation with Porsche first, but if they are not responsive, I'd seek legal actions.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:36 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

A friend of mine had similar problem. Turned out to be the wiring harness and harmonics. Have the harness more securely tied down in more places.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Jims02C2
Advanced

Florida's lemon law is one of the toughest in the nation. You should try the Better Business Bureau. I think PCNA arbitrates lemon law cases through them.
<a href="http://www.lemonlaw.bbb.org/" target="_blank">http://www.lemonlaw.bbb.org/</a>

The website says 3 times for the same problem in the first 24 months of ownership, which sounds like you qualify for.However, PCNA gets one final repair attempt.

It sounds like you have a really nice car. I would put up with a little more than what the law says to try and keep it. It will probably be a few months until they can get you another one to replace it.

Quick Reply: car broke, need advice please