Sponsored by:

Suspension questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Mark Jay
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Suspension questions....

This is my first post but I've been a lurker for a few months while trying to figure out if I should or should't buy.

I bought! And I was really excited!

I bought an Arctic Silver/black all supple leather 2000 C2 Coupe but my excitement has turned to panic.

Because I'm a moron I didn't notice that the car I bought has a lowered suspension system.

Yes, I took a short test drive but, in retrospect, on too smooth a route. I did think that the ride was a bit stiff but I attributed the stiff ride to the worn tires.

Now that I've driven the car for a day the ride is just way to harsh for my sensibilities. And now that I've had a chance to look at the car and really SEE what I'm looking at, it is obvious that the car has been lowered.

I have no idea what the suspension modification consists of but I know that it is just too much for me. Just too harsh!

I've looked over many of the posts relating to "suspension" in the archive but I still have some questions.

I think to get back to stock I need to have 4 factory shocks, 4 factory springs and factory sway bars installed. Is that correct?

In rough terms, how much will the parts cost?

How about installation costs at a Porsche dealer?

I think that If my stupid mistake isn't too expensive to correct I'll just write a check and relax.

The car only has less than 13,000 miles and I just didn't think to ask if the suspension had been modified. I guess I must have been hypnotized by the cooing patter of my salesperson. Jeez, am I an idiot!

I guess I had hoped that the dealer would have disclosed the suspension but I guess not. Maybe the car dealer will show me some mercy....

If the total cost is not much more than a couple thousand dollars I'll just grin and bear it. Maybe the after market system has some value in the secondary market that I could use as an offset to my out of pocket?

If it's much more that a few thousand to get to stock I'll probably fight with the dealer but I really hate to do that.

Can anybody offer up some numbers?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

I'm pretty bummed out about this and I'm looking forward to your replies.

Mark
Mark@MarkJayRealty.com
Old 03-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

First, you may have bought a car with an adjustable suspension. If that's the case, raising the car height is no big deal. If that's not the case, the previous owner probably just changed the springs to H&R, Eibach or something like that. That is indeed very low (I know, I have that ). First things first: check what you got. Then measure the ride height. If you don't know how to do it, check the 993 board or <a href="http://www.p-car.com." target="_blank">www.p-car.com.</a> If you have a standard setup with lowered springs, you can go on ebay and look for just springs. Most people seems to prefer the MO30 suspension which costs about $1300 and $800 to install, including alignment
Good luck, either way, it's not a very big issue
JM
Old 03-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can read this article <a href="http://www.pca.org/panorama/sample_article_3.html" target="_blank">996 Standard and Sport Suspensions Analyzed</a> to identify your current suspension components. Then figure out what you need to replace (and what you want). Then we can make recommendations on vendors and give cost estimates... based on our experiences.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:59 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I have a stock std. US suspension, off my '00 six speed C2, I might sell. PM or email me...
Old 03-31-2003, 07:30 PM
Mark Jay
7th Gear

Thanks for your posts! And DJ 996 thanks for your kind offer.

I'm going to look to the dealer that sold me the vehicle to make a financial contribution to putting the suspension back to the USA standard so that the mfg's warranty will continue to cover that aspect of the car.

I'm having my local Porsche dealer bring me back to stock. That way there will be no questions if a problem should come up. Well, maybe not "no questions" but I'm hoping that I'll catch the benefit of the doubt should a problem arise.

I like the way the car looks lowered 1.5 inches below stock but the ride quality doesn't work for me. When I was 25? Yes! At over twice that age? No can do!

I'm mostly a weekend driver with whatever summertime car I happen to have. I have run 2 sets of Pilot Sports on past vehicles; a '91 Nissan Twin Turbo and a 97 Lexus SC400 and I found the pilots to be terriffic. I've run the Goodyear F1s and the Toyo Proxies and wasn't impressed. Here the consensus seems to be SO3 with the Pilots a close second. Tire rack likes the So3 tires better too. I'm going to switch over to the S03. Has anybody had both? How do they compare?

Thanks again for your posts!

Mark
Mark@MarkJayRealty.com

Quick Reply: Suspension questions....