Sponsored by:

After market warrantees

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default After market warrantees

Negotiating for a ’99 from a non-Porsche (but reputable) dealer. Had a PPI with only few issues (leaking valve cover), which he will fix. Sweet-talked my Porsche dealer into pulling the service history and while nothing major, there have been a lot of little things fixed under warrantee (now over).

I’m trading out of a 964 which has been trouble free for the past 10 years/40M miles, so am unnerved by the little things going wrong and it bleeding me or just making me doubt wisdom of trading in of my beloved but aging model.

What is the experience with after market warrantees (whose good and whose bad), the scope of their coverage (cab. top motors for example)?

Any anyone know the cost price of a relatively long time/low mileage coverage (e.g., 72 month, < 50M miles) so I can try negotiating it into the car price?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/278165-urgent-extended-warranty-advice-needed.html
Old 06-07-2006, 07:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by smichael
What is the experience with after market warrantees (whose good and whose bad), the scope of their coverage (cab. top motors for example)?
I bought a 4 yr /48,000 warranty, which was the longest Prizm offered. So far, $2300 in claims -> $50 out of pocket for me.

It was dealer recommended, and I don't have to be reimbursed. I also picked the highest protection with the lowest deductible plan. So far, so good.

There are a number of topics on this, and here is mine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=warranty
Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Rick3452
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Last year I bought a 99 with 43K, Purchased a 3 yr warranty for $3600 from Western General, so far used it twice with a 100 deductable. So far no problems with WG. Good luck
Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Continental Warranty?

One of the threads mentioned Continental (http://www.continentalwarranty.com/g....php?PlanID=5).

They appear to be a “broker” /sale shop dealing with a few underwriters, one of which was Lyndon Property Insurance Company, which someone else said was offered as/by? “Prism”.

Anyone know how this all works and have any experience with Continental and their version of Lyndon’s coverage?

They also offer policies through Great American Insurance Company, but the phone rep thought Lyndon’s was the better deal (@ Approx. $2200 for 6 years/100k).

Worth it? Solid Company? Coverage? Do they pay?

--Steve
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Realist D.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An aftermarket warranty is pretty much the insurance business equivalent of selling life insurance to 60-year-olds. Think about it - it's a business that has to provide a profit first and foremost. It can only be a good value for the customer if you are buying a car with the worst service-cost record in the market and you then experience the worst of the worst. If that's what you think of the 996 why would you buy one? In terms of value-for-money, even Consumer Reports doesn't think a privately underwritten car warranty is worth it.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cabs have a lot of rattles and squeeks. it takes a long while (many visits) to sort out all these. make sure there's no deductible and there is coverage.

most warranty will not screw you until the claim exceeds the premium. a few smaller claims is better than 1 big claim. if it's the little things you are worried about, the warranty should be fine but you may not break even. if it's the big items such as engine replacement or tranny replacement, don't count on the warranty bc there is a high chance you'll be declined. while under warranty, you'll need to have all service records at authorized dealer. so if you are used to dyi, you'll probly have to shell out extra $$ just to make sure warranty doesn't expire. i know dyi supposedly doesn't avoid warranty but the adjuster will look for any excuse.

Quick Reply: After market warrantees