Sponsored by:

Urgent: extended warranty advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent: extended warranty advice needed

hi all.. in the next day or two i need to decide which extended warranty to get on a 2000 C2Cab with 34,000 miles on it (picking it up on thursday). i made a little table for you all to see:

all the prices are for 3yr/36K miles. here are some notes:
  • there is $100 deductible on all of these, unless i buy the warranty from porsche dealer and take the car to the dealer for repair. i seen their repair shop - its so clean you can eat a steak from it. so i trust them to work on my car and save $100
  • total protection plan is the cheapest, but also they are new on the market and could be a case of "you get what you pay for"
  • BMW dealer wants to do an inspection on the car first, which would cost additional $$$

so, i am leaning toward the 2nd best plan from JM&A Group (porsche dealer).
what do you all think about this choice? i did find a few bad feedbacks about fidelity here: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_.../fidelity.html

thanks a bunch!

P.S. - to all hockey fans: amazing game one today, huh?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:01 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be very careful with FL based companies...mine was liquidated by Florida state, because they didn't have the proper licenses... they had no complaints and always paid everybodies repairs...but I got screwed out of my 2200 bucks, because I never had a claim and had the warranty for only 6 months when they liquidated.

Just a heads up.....maybe you should take the one form the Porsche dealer....they won't go bust ( I hope)
Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 AM
jkb
Racer

thanks. i was told in order for warranty company to function in CA, they need to deposit 15mil with the state just for those case (going bancrupt, etc.) -- but i'll double check.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:27 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Where are you buying this car? why dont you just have them certify it? call Gary Quibelan at Carlsen, see if he can help, tell him Alex Punsalan referred you...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 AM
jkb
Racer

i am buying it from a private party in south california (laguna niguel)

but i'll give gary a call, maybe he can give me better warranty numbers... just curios, how has your 996 been? and whats with buying and selling not one, not two, but three cayennes?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb

but i'll give gary a call, maybe he can give me better warranty numbers... just curios, how has your 996 been? and whats with buying and selling not one, not two, but three cayennes?
You can't beat the CPO warranty from Porsche from the perspectives of price and coverage. Some Dealers will allow you to have a pass "through sale" so that the car will qualify. A Dealer may be especially accomodating if the guy selling you his car is buying another Porsche from that Dealer. A Porsche CPO warranty costs around $1800.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be going with JM&A when my factory warranty expires later this year - again offered by the local Porsche dealership.

My understanding is that a Porsche certified vehicle only has the following cover:

If sold once the new vehicle warranty has expired, Coverage is 2 years from the date of sale or up to 100,000 miles

So the 3rd party warranty is the way to go for extended warranty coverage past 2 yrs.

And still cheaper than a new engine!

Chris.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
911mz
Advanced

I currently have with Continetal warranty for 6 yrs / 100,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty for only $2600.00 for my 02 C2
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you trust one of these companies?

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I'll be going with JM&A when my factory warranty expires later this year - again offered by the local Porsche dealership.

My understanding is that a Porsche certified vehicle only has the following cover:

If sold once the new vehicle warranty has expired, Coverage is 2 years from the date of sale or up to 100,000 miles

So the 3rd party warranty is the way to go for extended warranty coverage past 2 yrs.

And still cheaper than a new engine!

Chris.
I looked at JM&A's website. It is aimed at selling its programs to dealerships to increase the dealership's F&I profits. Nothing wrong with that, but I could find nothing on financial ability of the company itself. As far as I can tell, JM&A stands for Jim Moran & Associates, Inc. That company may have very deep pockets, but they aren't telling so how do you know? I would have a tough time buying from a company like this, even if the dealer was selling it.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same thing when my warranty expired and went w/the dealership's company JM&A. I only paid $2,500 though for their top coverage for 48k miles or 4 years.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I don't buy the extended warranty on my appliances, why would I do it on my Porsche?

Yes, there's a risk of having to replace the engine, but these companies make money for a reason - they charge more than they pay out. You're far more likely to have less than 3 grand in repairs over the next 36 months than you are to have a catastrophic engine failure - why plan for the worst?

Why the rush for an extended warranty?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:44 PM
jkb
Racer

thank you everybody who replied, but i have some sad news. the owner cancelled the sale citing "wife" as reasons. not sure what he meant by that.

oh well, back to searching for my dream car again
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess instead of the Porsche he is getting rid of his wife....which is a very smart desision on his part....sorry about the cancellation...you will find your P-car!!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:32 AM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I guess instead of the Porsche he is getting rid of his wife....which is a very smart desision on his part....sorry about the cancellation...you will find your P-car!!

Perhaps, but it's a LOT more expensive to get rid of than a Porsche!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb

Hmmm that's too bad man,, on with the search... what are you looking for btw?
color, coupe, cab? let us know.....
regarding the cayenne...i did went a little crazy on that one I admit

Quick Reply: Urgent: extended warranty advice needed