Sponsored by:

'99 996 C2, too risky?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:36 AM
bbeck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sid:

I saw that post which was why I made the reference to positive and negative. But thanks for pointing it out as well.

c70Pete: I haven't looked at the car yet, but will on Saturday. The leakdown is one of the first questions I will be asking the service tech about.

Nicolaas: I have been looking at cars.com as well as autotrader. I would prefer buying local, but all of the cars here are way over priced. Matt's car would be a steal compared to what the locals are asking. Maybe the actual price after negotiating would drop a lot, but I doubt it. I'm in no hurry.

gjb: congrats! Do you mind telling me how much and how many miles? Pictures?

This will be my first P-car, and I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 06-07-2006, 02:48 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link in the original post isn't working any more.......

The 996 makes a great daily driver and 25k miles a year is fine. Just make sure the PPI checks out ok.

Based on somebody else's comment it sounds like the ad says the engine is a 3.6 liter, which would be very interesting. But I'm betting that's just a typo and it has a 3.4.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
bbeck
Track Day

Default link

I noticed the link doesn't work anymore as well last night. I'll repost it.

Here is the link again:

'99 996 C2
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's some small pictures, will post more when the transit is done.

Enjoy!

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/9b_0.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/a3_0_copy2.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/d7_0.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/00_0.jpg

Grant
Old 06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 589 Posts

Production months 01-98 through 06-98 had amber lenses and were prone to an issue with engine block leaking water. The issue was resolved starting production date 07-98. The lense color was changed from amber to clear to signal the change in production in buyer's minds, as the issue was quite pervasive and publicity about it was spreading in the automotive media. Also, horsepower was increased from 295HP to 300HP with the 07-98 revision. So the late model 99's have a whopping 5HP advantage over their older brothers! If a buyer knows this a 07-98 and later build date could be a buying criteria. Howerver, few do.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 AM
bbeck
Track Day

bdronsick:

Excellent info and very important to me. I haven't driven a 996 yet and looking at this car will be a great opportunity. I assume the engine leak occurred over time while the car was being driven. Since this one has such low mileage, it could still happen.

Any additional info on this problem would be appreciated. Is there a past thread on this topic that someone can direct me to?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbeck
bdronsick:

Excellent info and very important to me. I haven't driven a 996 yet and looking at this car will be a great opportunity. I assume the engine leak occurred over time while the car was being driven. Since this one has such low mileage, it could still happen.

Any additional info on this problem would be appreciated. Is there a past thread on this topic that someone can direct me to?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad, FWIW, it's the first time I've heard of the correlation...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

I bought myself a MY99 (early prdocution), a MY00, and a MY02. They were all daily drivers and trackers.

My wife is drving a MY99 late production.

Curiously, the two MY99s have been the most reliable year for us, and the MY02 the most problematic. I seems to see from what people are posting here, that there are a lot of people with high milage MY99 with very few problems. So, conspiracy theory goes, MY99 is actually a pretty good year to own.

Cheers,
Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 PM
busaganashi
Intermediate

I totally agree with this. I'm in Portland and look at Seattle's listings often. The Dealers seem to think their cars don't depreciate and they seem to have the bulk of the cars.

Originally Posted by bbeck

I have been looking at cars.com as well as autotrader. I would prefer buying local, but all of the cars here are way over priced. Matt's car would be a steal compared to what the locals are asking. Maybe the actual price after negotiating would drop a lot, but I doubt it. I'm in no hurry.

Brad
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Somone could get Matt's car to the left coast for around $1000.00. I looked at an '02' C2 in Dayton for a fellow Rennlister. He purchased it and had it shipped to his home. As I recall he saved quite a bit off the local pricing in his area.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:34 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

what color is that 996? pretty unique looking...
Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 AM
bbeck
Track Day

Question Test drive over the weekend

The color is red, though I don't know the exact Porsche name. The car is mint inside and out, with no leaks or blemishes. It has the PSM, but not the full leather interior. I can't understand why a P-car would have vinyl, especially one that looks like it has sun damage. At first I thought it was the particular car, but after looking at four of them, they all look the same.

I drove it on Saturday and loved it, but the price is real high - I'm negotiating with a sales guy that I have been working with. However, after driving a Cab., I think that is what I really want - the wife would love it too, which helps.

I have been looking at this one as well '99 CAB C4

I drove a C4 over the weekend and felt like I was fighting the steering a bit with the grooves in the road, compared to the C2.

Here is the link to the red P-car since the prior post no longer works '99 C2 Red Coupe

How difficult or expesive would it be to replace the vinyl interior with leather to match the factory full leather?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 AM
bbeck
Track Day

busaganashi: have you heard anything about Front Row Auto in Portland? They have a '99 C2 Cab in the same blue color, similar mileage for about $5k less.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out this one: it is a bargain and I know first-hand it is in very good shape. It's mine!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ice=&cardist=0
Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 AM
bbeck
Track Day

Sure looks like it is in better condition than this one that I looked at today.

99 C4 Cab

I prefer the lighter colors, but thanks for sharing and best wishes.

Quick Reply: '99 996 C2, too risky?