Simple question - window/door

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 01:25 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Simple question - window/door

I'm not a 996 owner, so maybe this is a really simple one...

I see where the side windows automatically lower a bit, electrically, when you operate the door handle. I imagine this because the window is tightly fitted up into the frame so it doesn't get sucked outward by the vacuum at higher speeds.

But what happens if you have a dead battery and you want to open the door?

Not a momentous question, perhaps, but something I've been curious about.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:37 AM
botitas
6th Gear

Hi Robert, David here (Black Cab from country drive to Round Top).

I thought the feature was to help prevent the rubber seals from damage, never really thought about the vacuum effect.

Anyway, I've opened my door with the battery disconnected and the window and top flexes a bit to allow the door to open. Closing's a little tougher because of the piece that sticks out to hold the window in place when it's completely closed.

So when are we having another one of those country drives? I know, I could always organize one. Just been too lazy
Old 04-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, the earlier 911s had a metal frame around the window that was part of the door. American muscle/sports cars (Mustang, F-body, Corvette) all have a problem at terminal velocity of the windows getting sucked away from the seals, which makes all kinds of noise.

I don't know about you, but I'm leaving for a country drive at ~5:50 Saturday morning - for Texas World Speedway! Time to play... if you haven't made it to a DE yet, make the ~75 minute drive out to the track & check out the scene. Parade laps around 11:30.

Quick Reply: Simple question - window/door