996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cost to replace a Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Porscherenter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got hit with "O, by the way, your duel mass flywheel is garbage, thank you for another $850." I'm now up to $ 2,289, new flywheel, clutch, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, labor.......

What's next......lol
Old 04-22-2002, 07:50 PM
Brent B. Adams
Advanced

Ouch - all I needed was the std Porsche clutch kit and labor. Have the dealer look at the computer data to see if your former owner abused the car. They CAN tell. Won't help the $$$ to fix, but may give you some peace of mind going forward assuming you don't abuse it yourself.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Porscherenter
Instructor

I just got off the phone with the dealer (cars at another shop), once they knew I was "looking" for the best price they quickly came down from $2,600 to $ 1,500 w/o the flywheel, THEN he went on to say how SOME people don't know how to drive a Porsche's clutch and that he has an 02' in the shop with 1,700 miles in need of a new clutch already because the owner didn't know that he has to let the clutch out fully before you press on the gas. His exact words were "Can't drive them like other U.S. clutches" I'm starting to get a very negitive feeling about Porsche dealerships. I've already caught them loosing my gas cap TWICE so my check engine light would come on..... I have a few choice words to say, but I'll quit while I'm ahead......
Old 04-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
I would not trust that dealer with my bicycle. It makes good business sense to offer competitive bids based on what other dealers offer to do the same job, but to say that you need something else done then retract it when they find out you're checking on them? Unscrupulous is the term that comes to mind.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Porscherenter
Instructor

$ 2,360.98 later, it's done. I'm so paranoid now not to slip the clutch (at all), I killed it twice coming home from the dealer.......lol
Old 04-26-2002, 04:52 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

Christer,
Thx for the UK prices. My clutch is on its way. I have 50k miles on my '99 C2 Cab. I was debating changing it or just leave it as I am moving on to an '02 C2 cab. Now I know the true cost, it would be easy to counter any arguments from a dealer or private buyer - depending on how I offload the '99 C2 Cab.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:58 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Porscherenter -

Please email me privately (or if you don't mind - here) about which dealer it was that you are dealing with? Is it napelton?
Is it Highland park? Is it barrington?

All of those are complete idiots. They use inuendo, guilt trips, and false info to get more money out of you. Please, for your own sake, try to find a good shop for anything else. I understand that it is under warantee still, but pride of ownership is a feeling that can be taken away by one of those dealers.

Quick Reply: Cost to replace a Clutch?