Sponsored by:

advice on suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:59 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default advice on suspension upgrade

It appears to me that the PSS9 is too mushy for the track and the JIC too hard on the road from just reading threads. I have a local suspension guru in my town who will build me a bespoke suspension for my CII so that I can adjust the suspension for the track and turn it back a notch or two for the road.
My questions are:
Should I lower the suspension at the same time and what are the pros and cons of this mod.
It's an expensive mod and is it really worth it? I am sure it will be better on the track but I havent noticed any real issues on the road with the OE suspension. Would you spend $3k US to change the suspension on a whim?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Stuart,

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. You cannot have a suspension firm enough for the track and compliant enough for the street. If you drive your car on the street and want to keep your fillings in your mouth, the PSS9 is do just fine. It is a very capable system. JIC, JRZ, Moton, etc make very good suspensions but are too stiff for most people on regular roads. This has more to do with relative spring rates than shock valving. I honestly don't see how you could get an equivalent track suspension that you could turn a **** and be comfortable on the street.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I have to agree with earlyapex. As an example, the stock 996 GT3 suspension is already too stiff for the street for most people, but is still too soft for a true dedicated track car or race car.

You ask if it's worth it. It's all about compromise, and what you want. If you never plan to track or will track rarely, then IMHO it's not worth it. The OEM is perfect for street use and occasional track use. If you want looks only, you can simply get lowering springs with some compromise on performance and risk of nose scrapes. For more track use and some compromise on street comfort, I went with the X73. Well worth it for me, and it was an easy install since it's a Porsche product. There are a lot of people who are happy with PSS9's, and to them, it too was well worth it.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

The X73/X74 setups are probably the best compromise around. But in essence, they are too soft for the track and too stiff for the street.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I cant wait for my X74 , thanks Ed
Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

thanks and while I hear what it is being said about cake and eat it my question then is why do some suspensions come with multiple adjustment capability. I thought that was so that the adjusters allow the shocks to be manually modified so they can be a GT3 on the track and soft on the road. Sort of a manual PASM. Is this too simplistic and if so can someone explain why suspension is not adjustable. I know I can adjust the suspensions settings (preload and rebound) on my motorbike at the twist of a **** or two.

Quick Reply: advice on suspension upgrade