996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Soft top damaged - how to repair ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Soft top damaged - how to repair ?

Was in Switzerland all week with the car in the Atlanta airport parking lot.
Upon my return immediately noticed some damage to the top. Seems to be that the seam between the plastic window and the canvas just gave up.
Doesn't look like vandalism, more like wear. Temperatures have been in the 90s all week. Maybe that contributed to the situation.

Anybdoy had this kind of issue themselves ? How to remedy ?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by yvesatlanta; 09-26-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
Anybdoy had this kind of issue themselves ? How to remedy ?
I can't remember for sure if this has been discussed on this forum, but I know it has on RennTech .... at great length and several times. The most recent in the past month or so. Do a search in both places, and you'll find all you wish to know: TSB, possible fix (but not for you by the looks of your photo); new top prices; and lots of wailing & gnashing of teeth.

You could start here

If your car is out of warranty, I'll be glad to direct you to the upholstery shop in Atlanta that did my (after market) replacement top.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for a new top. Get a car cover and don't leave it to the elements.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Ouch. This is starting to sound bad...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your top. Next time take a cab to the airport and leave the car in the garage.

You might want to consider getting a new top from GAHH with a glass rear window. Check out this link.

Last edited by programmatore; 06-02-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I have seen a post on ebay....where you can convert your plastic rear to a glass one.....comes with new softtop for about 1800 bucks....I think this is the perfect time to make that switch!! If interested I will search for the link somewhere...
Old 06-03-2006, 03:47 AM
capt601
Instructor

if you can find a good auto upholstery shop, they can put two rows of stitches around the plastic window and that will secure it. I know this because my rear plastic window just started separating this week in the exact same spot as yours.
It is much cheaper than getting a new top, especially if your currnet top is in good shape. I had quotes from $475 to $875 here in SoCal.
All of the shops that I went to said that this is a common fix on Porsche Cabs, and that if you do not mind the stitching, it will probably outlast the rest of the top.

capt601
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Originally Posted by capt601
if you can find a good auto upholstery shop, they can put two rows of stitches around the plastic window and that will secure it. I know this because my rear plastic window just started separating this week in the exact same spot as yours.
It is much cheaper than getting a new top, especially if your currnet top is in good shape. I had quotes from $475 to $875 here in SoCal.
All of the shops that I went to said that this is a common fix on Porsche Cabs, and that if you do not mind the stitching, it will probably outlast the rest of the top.

capt601
You see...that's what I thought. This makes sense to me.
My car is in mint condition (including the rest of the top).
Just checked the yellow pages. There seem to be a couple of companies around that specialize in this kind of stuff. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.

This car is a daily driver. That's why I bought a 4 year old one (has had it's main depreciation hit) at the time. I'm not going to have it sit in the garage and save it for the next owner.

I'm a bit dissapointed about the quality of the top though. As mentioned, I drive the car year around. But about 5 months out of 12 I use the hard top. That should have given it some slack.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:46 PM
djantlive
Drifting

With the hardtop on, the softtop is left down for months. This isn't good for the fabric or plastic window either.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:07 PM
redhatcab
Advanced

Exact same thing happened to me recently and it is a common problem with the glued in plastic rear windows on early 996's.

I would suggest you go and purchase an new plastic window from one of the many places that sell them on line and have it stitched in. I am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place. I decided to have the whole top replaced even though it was in relatively good shape because I thought it would need replacing in a couple of years anyway. Big mistake! I had a supposedly highly experienced independent shop put a new top on for me and mess it up big time. I ended up shelling out about 5k to get a new Porsche top (they stitch the plastic in now) and have it installed correctly to make up for everything the independent screwed up. I'm taking them to small claims court.

No matter who does your top make sure they are highly experienced in working on 996 tops. These tops are complicated and more expensive than almost any other car top on the market to fix. If you get a new top I would suggest having Porsche install the top as they usually have one or two guys dedicated to installing all their tops. It is usually only a couple hundred more than an independent shop. It's worth it to get that experience.

Check out the GAHH top that has the glass rear window. i didn't like it because they use a Boxter rear window which looks much too small to me and just gives a strange look to the car. That is purely my opinion though and you may think it looks fine.

Best of luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

make sure the shop knows what they are doing!!

When I bought mine....the replaces the plastic window..because it was in very bad shape...but the body shop did a terrible stitching job...and it kind of bothers me..while noone else sees it!!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
make sure the shop knows what they are doing!!

When I bought mine....the replaces the plastic window..because it was in very bad shape...but the body shop did a terrible stitching job...and it kind of bothers me..while noone else sees it!!

Where do I buy the plastic window ?

Quick Reply: Soft top damaged - how to repair ?