Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Playing with vids- Google Video (Added one more)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't know how they did it, but it is impressive for less than a meg. I tried it with Roxio VideoWave, and anything less than a meg looked like a postage stamp. I tried mpeg2, mpeg 1, wmv, Divx, AVI. If I made it bigger and still less than a meg, it looked like there was Vaseline smeared across the lens.

I've got a run on video where the track is wet. It's about 1Gb. We'll see what they do with it, or if they gag on it.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

2:13/15's are pretty damn good times. I run a real similar line to you at the glen, except I'm flat on the floorboard thru the esses, didn't happen overnight or with street tires. If I hit teens, low 20's on the lap and 130ish on the back straight, it's a good day.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a real similar line as both you, Chris, and Palting at the Glen as well. In the 996 towards the end, I was flat on the floorbard from the exit of T1 all the way to the bustop (and actually on S02s). I was hitting 130-135 very briefly before the bustop. It actually became harder to hit that once I installed the fixed rear wing, but the car felt soooo much better and more stable.

I am taking the '44 to the Glen at the end of June/beginning of July. I cannot wait to see what kind of time I can pull of in that car. Despite its lack of horsepower, I am finding that I am shaving 5-8 seconds off my times at many tracks. Since the Glen supposedly is such a HP track, I wonder what will happen in the '44 . . . I am worried about the hill.

Palting, I just realized that I didn't say it before, but of course your video shows great driving. I meant that when I said "nice video", but I realize now you might have thought I meant the a/v stuff

P.S. Did you get to see Colin's ("38D's") video?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

On the video, it doesn't seem like I'm WOT at the esses because I kept running into traffic either after turn 1 or at the esses itself. On the first day, I would "breathe" at the hump just before the left hand kink at the esses, and again around the right hand kink to keep from hitting the rev limiter. By the afternoon, with the experienced TT driver riding shotgun and egging me on, the pedal is to the metal on 4th gear just before or at the apex of turn 2, and stays there until red line just before the right hand kink and upshift to 5th, then hard brake at about the 500-400 mark. I could consistently hit 130+ before the brake zone. TT driver said I hit 140+, but I think he was just being encouraging.

There is a 2 year gap between my first trip to the Glen and this second one. There have been a lot of DE's in between, plus the X73 and MPSC. I definitely felt a lot more confidence this second time to the Glen, and the suspension and tires were a major contributor. I think the biggest one, though, was the guy who I trust, sitting on the passenger seat, going "Go! Go! Go!" .

Watkins is definitely an HP track, TD, simillar to the full track at VIR. The esses and the hill after the toe will be your challenge. You can probably catch us 996's at the heel and the reverse camber left, keep the momentum going into the last two turns and have a passing chance at the front straight. Maybe .
Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Palting
Watkins is definitely an HP track, TD, simillar to the full track at VIR. The esses and the hill after the toe will be your challenge. You can probably catch us 996's at the heel and the reverse camber left, keep the momentum going into the last two turns and have a passing chance at the front straight. Maybe .
Ah hell, Palting, there is no sense hiding how competitive I am. Your video time just gave me a little "goal" to meet or exceed while at the Glenn! Nothing like a little inspiration! Someday hopefully we will finally get to meet face-to-face
Old 06-02-2006, 02:38 AM
WFO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really. I don't know the driver, but it appears that he has a fundamental hatred for apexes, whether they be early or late. He just doesn't like 'em one bit.
I wasn't referring to the driver, I was referring to the Lotus. As bad as the driver was, the "Lotus" made up for it.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

I still remember your earlier posts and vids with the targa, TD . Then you jumped right in to racing. I'm a little slower in getting into it. I finally bought a 2 layer Sparco racing suit and gloves . Don't know if I have the cojones to actually wear it to DE, heh-heh. Now, if I can only not get claustrophobic with a full face helmet, I'm all set. I'm sure we'll meet up somewhere. I look forward to sharing a track with you.

You looking to buy an Elise, WFO? It's a neat little track toy, get's lot of attention. There was also a federalized Exige there, but it was in the novice run group. The driver, however, had a full racing suit .
Old 06-02-2006, 09:09 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Palting, IMHO, don't bother with wearing a racing suit to a DE. The risks that you will get overheated and dehydrated far outweigh the risk that you will be in a fire. Sure it is a balance, but, having tried both approaches, I can tell you that I prefer to reserve the monkey suit for the real races. Now, a full face helmet is another matter altogether. In a recent race, I was hit in the face by a marble. Had I not had a full faced helmet, I assure you it would have left a mark. The same thing can happen at a DE, although you appear to be a little more polite with respect to following distance when someone doesn't get their hand out right away!

Do you have a race seat, 6 point harness and head and neck restaint system yet? IMO, those are far more important than the racing suit. The seat and the harness also make it much, much easier to drive. Having become spoiled in the race car, I refuse to drive the Targa on the track without them, and since I do not want to create a frankenstein car out of the Targa, I will never take it to the track again.

No rush on the racing . . . although it is incredibly fun and addictive
Old 06-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

I have the Shroth 6 points and the tequipment roll bar. Saving up money for the GT3 seats. Until I can put all three together, I'm still using the stock sport seats and the 3 points. The GT3 seat fund, however, keeps getting decimated by the need for tires .

Here's another video for anyone interested. It's a lot longer, since I wanted to see how long it woud take to upload a realy large file. Thi was just under 1 Gig oiginally. I didn't start another thread for it, since it's just a bunch of guy's tiptoeing around the puddles after the rain at Watkins. The racing guys sat this run out. We were all slow, but I believe I was the least slow . AWD rocks in the wet!!

Enjoy: After the rain
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What exhaust do you run?
I'm gonna try a vid this thursday up there, I do have a really good one from last yr at a PDA glen event, me spanking my buddies viper and a m3, just can't ever get it up(you know what I mean).
Old 06-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

It's PSE, open all the time. I have to get an external mike, so the sound of the wind doesn't overwhelm the exhaust sound at speed.

Yup, I know what you mean. Had to slice and splice to get it up.

Quick Reply: Playing with vids- Google Video (Added one more)