Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Playing with vids- Google Video (Added one more)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Playing with vids- Google Video (Added one more)

Pretty nifty site. Been playing with my fathers day gift, a DVD video camera, and looking for places to upload. I uploaded a 365 MB file this afternoon, and they had it up in a few hours! They degraded the quality, probably cuz it would take forever to download a file that big, but it still looks decent. Next, I'll try to upload a 3GB file, the whole run, heh-heh-heh

Here's a link: Watkins at Google . Comments about videos, equipment, upload sites, drivng, weather, whatever. It's been a slow couple of days for me.

Last edited by Palting; 06-03-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice palting, I'm actually heading up there on the 8th, can't wait, my favorite track. How did you like the glen with the x73?
Pretty tame adanced run group, who were you running with, pda?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:06 AM
WFO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lotus appears to be fairly quick eh?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are making it look very easy!!! hardly changing gears?? it is only the lotus in front of you that is making me nervous, with his extensive braking......or is it your driving style that make everybody else look antsy??
Old 06-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool video, may I ask what camera mount you are using? mounted to rollbar?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting enough I saw a 996, Elise, and Ferrari racing around South Beach last week.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Palting - Very nice vid! As others have said, your driving style/skills make the other drivers look bad!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Nice Video Palting. It is strange to watch a video from the same type car at a track you have driven a fair bit. I caught myself talking to myself while watching the video. Specifically, I am fairly fast through the 8-10 section. Once, another 996 driver in my old run group complimented me on how fast I take T9 (he was faster through T8). He was following me, and I took T9 a little too hot. As I was drifting out at the track out point and coming inches from the blue armco, I kept telling myself "it's just a mirror, it's just a mirror, it's just a mirror" while fighting the urge to pinch the car or back off the gas.

Here is a video from the glen that shows slightly different lines. I am sure you will find it interesting: http://caicos.globat.com/~gtc-motors...ideos/2006-05%
Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Great video and a great source of other P-car videos! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

It was with ARPCA, Chris. Nice bunch of guys, a bit strict on the rules. There are a few radical guys in the run group, but we were runnunning at pretty much the same speed so I never caught them on video. I didn't bring my lap timer, but I was playing tag with a guy that had one. He said we were running about 2:13-15.

The Elise was quick, and the driver liked to throw that cars back end around. Not bad for a car that is at most half the cost of a 911.

There was actually a lot of shifting going on. At least, compared to my first time at the Glen. This was only my second trip up there, and I had the fortune of having an expereinced TT driver ride with me and show me the AWD line the day before during the open lapping day. I short shift before turn 2 to 4th gear or go to 4th just after the left hand kink at the esses, then hit the rev limiter just after the right hand kink at the esses and have to shift to 5th, and hit about 130-140 before the braking zone. I do cheat the downshift and go directly back down to third before the bus stop. If I push it, I hit the rev limiter again and need to upshift to 4th at the laces of the boot, then down shift for the toe. At the toe, if there is traffic, I go down to 2nd for the uphill. If alone at the toe, I keep the speed up so Im still in the torque range on 3rd going up the hill, then 4th as I crest the hill, back down to third for the heel , and stay on third until the front straight.

I'm planning on getting external A/V feed so the engine sounds can be heard rather than the wind. It's an I/O mount on a harness bar, Moogle

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It was wet earlier in the day, so I was still in the "be smooth or you're dead" mindset. It helped .

TD, the link ain't working, man. I am interested in seeing it.

Last edited by Palting; 06-01-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, Palting, that is some great stuff. I really liked the lines you were taking. As for the Elise, that must be one light stable little car because he was taking a lot of corners late and some of his lines were really high on the apex.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by WFO
The Lotus appears to be fairly quick eh?
Not really. I don't know the driver, but it appears that he has a fundamental hatred for apexes, whether they be early or late. He just doesn't like 'em one bit.

It's a good thing Palting drives his own car rather than following others. If he had followed the lines of the Lotus the extra weight of the 996 might have led him into a "blue" period.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

That was the Elise's favored line. He liked to braked late, go deep, throw the back end around on turn-in, then oversteer to a late apex. He probably thinks it gets him a higher exit speed to make up for his lower HP . I think I also pushed him into some errors when he tried to get away as I got close.

TD, your link won't link.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Palting
That was the Elise's favored line. He liked to braked late, go deep, throw the back end around on turn-in, then oversteer to a late apex. He probably thinks it gets him a higher exit speed to make up for his lower HP .

TD, your link won't link.
Sounds like a good excuse to me As you know, I drive a low HP car and, for the most part, I think the line doesn't vary too much. The best way to get better exit speed in a low HP car is to "forget" you have brakes! It is sorta like the saying for money: "The best way to save money is not to spend it in the first place." On the track, the best way to be fast is not to slow down in the first place

The "only" place I can think of where you "might" want to take a very different line due to low HP would be coming up the hill in the boot, but I still think hitting the apex would be helpful. In fact, IIRC, John H. -- redline man -- hugs the inside of that corner rather than going way out like the elise.

If the Elise driver is good at controlling his car, then imagine how quick he would be on a better line. I suspect you know the guy so you are being more polite than I am. I am the same way, but keep in mind that I am only kidding around as well. You are also probably right about the fact that he was driving his mirrors. I NEVER do that

My only point is that if you don't use all the track, someone else will. I can see apexing corners early in a low HP car and carrying your momentum, but giving up 1-3 feet at every corner seems like, well, a waste.

sorry about the earlier link, try this: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...nt#post3098803

P.S. I agree with you that ARPCA is a great bunch to run with. Very friendly people.

Last edited by TD in DC; 06-01-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Wow, they compressed your 365 megs to 732k...Pretty impressive video for under a meg.

Quick Reply: Playing with vids- Google Video (Added one more)