Sponsored by:

FX Arbitrage

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:51 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tksingh
I think the whole dealer not being happy about it is crap. The dealerships make money off warranty work and regular service. Think about it, if I buy from one CDN dealer and then go to another CDN dealer, they are fine even though they did not sell me the car. Dealers make the most money on options, especially dealer installed, service and warranty work.
The sales department is the unhappy side when it's an outsider vehicle, but service is quite pleased with warranty and service work coming in from any customer. These 2 department often are at odds with each other while working under the same roof; it's been that way since the very begining. Ask me how I know: OEM manufacturers are my clients and they're constantly trying to find ways to make dealers understand that sales sells the first vehicle to customer "A" but the subsequent sales of services, parts and vehicles to that same customer is facilitated by service. Makes sense, right? Try making the average sales consultant understand that
Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy from one CDN dealer and then go to another CDN dealer for service you are staying within the CDN network. That's exactly what Porsche CDN want you to do.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:19 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the "dealer won't be happy" I would say that I will feel a little bad, but I'm looking at some very slightly used (USA) 996TT that will be cheaper than a (Canadian) C4. Or if I get really I can get a used 996TT and do a 550 Hp RUF upgrade & new wheels for the price of a local 996TT.I guess the point is that for alittle bit of saving you should encourage your local dealer but the summs are so big right now that it's foolish to ignore a saving of $20-25k...think of getting a nice winter beater for free !!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the exchange rate where it's at, it certainly is worth considering the extra work to bring in a US vehicle. And I agree it is becoming more commonplace to see US cars in Canada, not just p-cars. Consider all the North American cars (& others) build in Canada.

Over the next couple of years, I would love to move up to a TT, but a good example of an '02 sits around $120,000 at a Porsche dealer (Pfaff currently has on '01 for $115,000) ... compared to about $40,000 less in the US (+ exchange, etc.).

PCNA needs to look at their Cdn. pricing against competing products IMHO. Consider that 4-yr. old TT and a new C2 with some goodies on it for about $125,000 - $130,000. Then look at some competing products ... the new M5 (different car I realize, but still a great vehicle) is around $115,000. The new M3 will have a V8 and will be priced lower, MB has some juiced AMGs in that same range. Perhaps sacrilegious to mention it on this forum, but a new Z06 is around $95,000 (I know, not a Porsche, but amazing performance).

Love my p-car , but the Cdn. pricing needs to be re-examined relative to what we can get a US car for and other products on the market - just my $.02.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:07 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
With the exchange rate where it's at, it certainly is worth considering the extra work to bring in a US vehicle. And I agree it is becoming more commonplace to see US cars in Canada, not just p-cars. Consider all the North American cars (& others) build in Canada....
You are absolutly right cause when I was at the border, another guy was there with the "new" Lexus SC 430 and another with a mustang. The big thing now for kids are importing S2000 and 350Z for the price of new civics and VW golf. All that to say that we're not the only ones doing it.

I did it not to save money but more because there weren't any RSA around.

In one way I kind of feel bad for fellow canadians, whom are trying to sell their canadian p-cars for a fairly good price considering what they paid originaly but are getting laugh at when compared to US cars. But in the end we as buyers, want the best for our money.

Quick Reply: FX Arbitrage